Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #61
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
I think KTM could get a better return on their investment if they developed a 690 adventurer.
AGREE

modeselector screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 08:52 AM
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #62
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
I have a soft spot for the Old Bultaco Alpina

the only thing i dont like about this new KTM is its four stroke......and it needs 8 litre tank......for the extra added Awesomeness
Then your bike is the OSSA Explorer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731796
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #63
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
specs
http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride...l-details.html
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #64
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I like it. Hopefully the new line drives down the cost of current/older KTM's even further.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #65
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONo443 View Post
I like it. Hopefully the new line drives down the cost of current/older KTM's even further.
Anyone find a price on this yet?
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #66
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
I think you are missing the point of this bike. It is not meant for that type of riding.
Why would you want to add 100lbs of weight to a bike that was designed to be as light and maneuverable as possible?

If it even makes it to the states, which if it doesn't, KTM is crazy, would make the ultimate girl bike, IMHO!

Watch the video posted above, and that is the type of riding this bike was made for.
Think of your ADV riding more along the lines of exploring the 100 acres of woods down the street you have always wanted to, but your big bike, with bags and such always keep you from doing it.

Bundy
I don't have a big bike, hell I don't even have two bikes. Right now I just have a WR250X that started life as an R. I've ridden it all over the damn place, 30k miles since I bought it new in January 2010. Some of that is exploring the woods near my house, some of that is running the ORV trails that are about a 3 hour ride each way away from home, a lot of it is just plain commuting, and some of it is loaded up for 3 week camping trips (my gear weighs in around 40 pounds total btw)

The only thing I'd change on it is the weight, much much rather have something 220 pounds when I ride a through the woods over the 300 pounds of my WRR. Hell at 220 pounds I'd be tempted to try an enduro or a hare scramble and such, which is something I'd expect the Freeride 350 to handle just fine for my not-quite-C-class riding skills. But if it can also run relatively smoothly and with similar comfort to my WRR on the street too? It suddenly becomes the perfect dual sport for me.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #67
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Yes.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #68
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
I think you are missing the point of this bike. It is not meant for that type of riding.
Why would you want to add 100lbs of weight to a bike that was designed to be as light and maneuverable as possible?

If it even makes it to the states, which if it doesn't, KTM is crazy, would make the ultimate girl bike, IMHO!

Watch the video posted above, and that is the type of riding this bike was made for.
Think of your ADV riding more along the lines of exploring the 100 acres of woods down the street you have always wanted to, but your big bike, with bags and such always keep you from doing it.

Bundy
Think you're thinking about things in too narrow of terms. When I was living up in the PNW, Bobo-Boogie and I used to regularly take off on our 250F's with a couple of backpacks and go riding/camping for a few days. Much different than the type of rides we'd do on out XR650's. Don't think it's crazy at all that someone might want to do what skierd is proposing. Powering heated gear wouldn't be a driving concern for me, but I don't know how/where he rides. But if it means he doesn't have to stop to do this every few miles, I completely understand. Any way you slice it, this bike is appealing if you are looking for a lightweight bike to do some technical riding with. Hopefully it's street legal and more on the maintenance schedule of something like a WR250R/X or a Honda XR than a MX-based racebike. If that's the case, I'd be thrilled with the 20-whatever horsepower this thing is supposed to be putting out. Recently bought a 2010 450XCW that I just finished getting all dialed-in, but new Freeride 350 looks like it might be the bike I've been waiting for.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #69
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Think you're thinking about things in too narrow of terms. When I was living up in the PNW, Bobo-Boogie and I used to regularly take off on our 250F's with a couple of backpacks and go riding/camping for a few days. Much different than the type of rides we'd do on out XR650's. Don't think it's crazy at all that someone might want to do what skierd is proposing. Powering heated gear wouldn't be a driving concern for me, but I don't know how/where he rides. But if it means he doesn't have to stop to do this every few miles, I completely understand. Any way you slice it, this bike is appealing if you are looking for a lightweight bike to do some technical riding with. Hopefully it's street legal and more on the maintenance schedule of something like a WR250R/X or a Honda XR than a MX-based racebike. If that's the case, I'd be thrilled with the 20-whatever horsepower this thing is supposed to be putting out. Recently bought a 2010 450XCW that I just finished getting all dialed-in, but new Freeride 350 looks like it might be the bike I've been waiting for.

Throwing a back pack on and disappearing into the woods is one thing, setting up for extended touring is another.
But eventually someone will make a bigger tank for it, maybe even me if it comes to the states.
I can guarantee that the sub frame is light weight, not intended for load caring.
The gear box will be low ratio trials like, although it does have a 6 speed, so maybe ok for short jaunts on the street.
However the ignition will be powerful enough to power the EFI, so should have some extra juice.
But bottom line is if you buy one, you can modify it anyway you want too!
Its just that I do not believe the bike as designed will be a good starting point for what skierd is looking for.
The WR250R, which he has was designed for what he uses it for.

bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #70
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Anyone find a price on this yet?
http://www.ktm.com/it/freeride/freeride-350.html

7,250.00 euro in Italy.

Compare it to € 8,595.00 for the 2012 690 Enduro R or € 9,250.00 for the 2012 500 exc.

Not cheap, but not too expensive.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #71
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
It is e start right? Looks like a good bike to add to the stable. The wife can ride it while I am on the KLX and I can ride it........ (when she isn't looking )

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #72
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
7,250 Euros is $9815 if the website I did that on is correct. Real nice bike, if plated would be perfect, but a little pricey if thats what it would go for here.
But feel free to double check those numbers.
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #73
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent2 View Post
7,250 Euros is $9815 if the website I did that on is correct. Real nice bike, if plated would be perfect, but a little pricey if thats what it would go for here.
But feel free to double check those numbers.
I think your conversion is in line, but I was comparing it to the bikes he listed and their US prices, so I am guessing around 7-8k. Still spendy, but I thought $4k was a ton of money when I bought my KLX 15 years ago, and these seem like a huge upgrade.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #74
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 613
Depending on seat height - may be the best girlfriend/wife bike available, and a damn good excuse to buy one
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #75
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
I got yer seat height right here.
http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride...l-details.html

35 and 1/4 inches.