ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #46
pfloydgad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Talking The Way Back Button Please

Summer 1979, just graduated from college in June, came home with my 1977 GL1000. Gold Wing for you wondering what GL stood for.
My trip was a planned run through Michigan, N accross the bridge in Sue St. Marie into Canada. All was going fine, the weather was perfect, and I was making great time.
Not having a true timetable, I stopped to visit some reletives on my Dads side in Grailing, Mich. I get there and parked in the 2nd. cabin parking slot is a sweet BWW R65, completly loaded for touring.
I climb off my Wing, and my Uncle comes to meet me, we say hello, he says come in for a cold one. I ask him about the Beemer and he just smiles and motions me inside.
I go in, and sitting at the bar is the owner of the BMW.
I walk up and stick my hand out, she slides off the barstool and shakes hands better then my Uncle.
She stands 6' tall, has long red hair and is killing the leather chaps and vest she is wearing. And her smile could stop a Freight Train or Jet Liner.
My Uncle is just standing there with the dumbest smile I have ever seen, he introduces me to, are you ready, Inga, from, you guessed it, Germany.
Inga is a friend of my Aunts, who is also from Germany.
She is 28, recently divorced and is riding the states on her first solo ride.

So without making this a Dear Penthouse reply, I'll just say that the Canada trip was now a wash, but the ride out West was glorious.

Needless to say, in my humble opinion, there just isn't much sexier, then a woman who can handle a bike, a tour, lots of miles and new friends.
Thanks Ladies, we Love ya.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
Greg

pfloydgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #47
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Awesome thread...

I wish I could get my wife interested in motorcycles. She doesn't care if I do it, but has no interest herself...

One thing I've noticed on this thread is that the ladies here don't just do an occasional run...they ride the snot out of their bikes...CONGRATULATIONS to all...

Bob out...
I actually tried to keep my wife off bikes when she first expressed interest. I know that may sound odd coming from someone who's been a lifelong motorcycle addict, but I was concerned she would get hurt. She insisted, and now is out of control. It's all good though...

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #48
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Awesome thread...

I wish I could get my wife interested in motorcycles. She doesn't care if I do it, but has no interest herself...

One thing I've noticed on this thread is that the ladies here don't just do an occasional run...they ride the snot out of their bikes...CONGRATULATIONS to all...

Bob out...
I'm with you on that one! Unfortunately, my wife is a menace on 4 wheels and completely oblivious of her surroundings on two wheels. If there is a bus, she'll pull out in front of it. If there is a pothole or debris on the road, she fixates and hits it. If there is a stop sign, she'll blow through it. Her one great skill is an ability to go REALLY slow and not lose her balance. In her MSF course she did the Figure Eight in two minutes and thirty-eight seconds. All the instructors came over to watch as they had never seen anybody do it that slow and not fall!

We finally agreed that motosports were for me and the dog. She knits.

But this is a very cool thread!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,300
Canadian couple who rode through on their way south. Then, they headed to Africa to ride north.

(blanking out on her name, right now)

in '09, we met a German couple in Cold Foot. they were also heading south. Mirielle road her own bike and fixed her own bike!

Katja and Nini - also from Germany. They stayed with me about a month or so ago. They are now in Australia, terrorizing the Aussies

Introducing them to the finest California vino

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #50
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I'm with you on that one! Unfortunately, my wife is a menace on 4 wheels and completely oblivious of her surroundings on two wheels. If there is a bus, she'll pull out in front of it. If there is a pothole or debris on the road, she fixates and hits it. If there is a stop sign, she'll blow through it. Her one great skill is an ability to go REALLY slow and not lose her balance. In her MSF course she did the Figure Eight in two minutes and thirty-eight seconds. All the instructors came over to watch as they had never seen anybody do it that slow and not fall!

We finally agreed that motosports were for me and the dog. She knits.

But this is a very cool thread!
Almost every woman I've been involved with has knit, strangely enough. Come to think of it, I've made a hell of a lot of socks and sweaters myself -- on knitting machines. The ruggedest and most independent bush pilot I know, Commander Putt, RMG of Lexington, ME bought a sock machine at a yard sale and spent months cranking out footwear for his family. I think Mean Joe Green knit, also.

About half of those women are people that I would and did go almost anywhere with. I've known extraordinarily competent woman pilots, river guides, mountain guides, rock climbers, bicyclists and motorcyclists. Not every person will make a good motorcyclist. This is gender independent. There are plenty of men that can and have killed themselves on two wheels.

M'lady has expressed a desire to become a MSF instructor. I think this is great. There are plenty of issues that are gender-specific in biking, and many women are reluctant to talk about them to us hairy fellas. If you want to preserve the sanctity of your marriage, don't take your lady out and bruise her up. It will get you nowhere. Hire it out.

When I was working as a river guide, I often was given the couples that were trying to learn to paddle white water together and were on the edge of divorce. This is perhaps because I was older than average and had both an impressive beard and a prominent bald spot. My degrees in Literature and Philosophy didn't hurt, nor did the fact I'd been divorced a few times. It was kind of like asking Atilla the Hun about diplomacy, but I think many of my charges got together and made it down the river. I get a card in the mail now and then.

If you want your lady to ride, make it as simple as possible, Many women haven't been on two wheels since they could walk, as many men have. Get her a bike that fits, and let her go. You may be surprised with the results.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #51
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
If you want your lady to ride, make it as simple as possible, Many women haven't been on two wheels since they could walk, as many men have. Get her a bike that fits, and let her go. You may be surprised with the results.
Did all that. Was not present for her MSF course. Got her a small bike she could flat foot and felt comfortable with. Got her riding with other women who were supportive as could be. But she has no concept of spacial relations, and when on a bike 100% of her attention is on the bike and not on her surroundings, other vehicles, etc. FWIW, she's the same in a car, on her bicycle, and even the ATV. She's taken out the garage with our tractor three times.

Now she knits. We're both happier that way.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #52
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Did all that. Was not present for her MSF course. Got her a small bike she could flat foot and felt comfortable with. Got her riding with other women who were supportive as could be. But she has no concept of spacial relations, and when on a bike 100% of her attention is on the bike and not on her surroundings, other vehicles, etc. FWIW, she's the same in a car, on her bicycle, and even the ATV. She's taken out the garage with our tractor three times.

Now she knits. We're both happier that way.
As I said, it happens both ways. Sorry that it didn't work for you.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #53
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Go girls!
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #54
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
INext spring I'm thinking I will take out the lowering links since I plan on some ambitious rides and would like that ground clearance back.
Hey Cowgirl,

If you ever get up into northern Canada or Alaska, give me some advance notice and I'll see if I can get some time off to ride with you. I would love to ride the Dempster Hwy again and am also interested in riding the S. Canol Road. I wouldn't even mind riding on the Dalton hwy again as it's quite an adventure with stunning scenery and miles of pristine solitude. I don't have any female friends to ride with.

Happy trails!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #55
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
Hey Cowgirl,

If you ever get up into northern Canada or Alaska, give me some advance notice and I'll see if I can get some time off to ride with you. I would love to ride the Dempster Hwy again and am also interested in riding the S. Canol Road. I wouldn't even mind riding on the Dalton hwy again as it's quite an adventure with stunning scenery and miles of pristine solitude. I don't have any female friends to ride with.

Happy trails!
Here's the advance notice! I'll be at D2D June 21 and 22 then I'm heading up the Dempster!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 05:50 AM
Cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #56
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,390
I've been lucky enough to share many adventures with my girlfriend Rosie since she started out motorcycling. Her 1st adv rig was the mighty Super Sherpa which saw action everywhere from the wilds of NZ...

...to the deserts of outback Australia:

After she pretty much wore out the Sherpa it was on to something a little more high tech & better suspended, the WR250R:

She is turning into a pretty good rider, showing up some of the boys offroad at times & is also getting the hang of maintenance & tyre changes

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #57
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
great thread !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #58
fuzzygalore
Wonder Woman

Oddometer: 517
Great thread. Lookin' good, ladies.

Girlie Motorcycle Blog
fuzzygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #59
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Looking through my pics for some more.

Before my wife got comfortable with off road riding, this was taken after a rather long and difficult gravel road. She was so glad to be back on the asphalt!

A cool covered bridge about an hour from where we live

This was actually a great shot my wife got on a ladies only ride. She was leading and snapped this picture over her shoulder while in a turn.
Every single one of these bikes in this picture is a lady rider!

How about a couple vids. This was my wife on her KX100 and she's wearing the GoPro camera on her helmet doing the filming.
This was a "Spa Day Adventure Ride" where the owner of an off road park took only the ladies out on a big adventure ride.
So other than Paul on the Husaberg who is leading the ride, all the other dirt bikes in this video were ridden by ladies!
Most of the ladies are on KTM's and now my wife ride's a KTM 125, but she hadn't upgraded at this point.

Every other month, the owner of the park holds one of these Spa Days where he gives lessons to the ladies while the hubbies go play.
This one was unique in that it was outside the park to work all their skills they had learned, but the ladies loved it

The ladies just running along a wooded area that had been recently been harvested.

Believe it or not, this is actually a county maintained rd in AL in this one! Its a bit on the rough side in some parts.
She picks up a bit of speed towards the end of this vid, at least that's what it sounds like on that little KX motor!

They don't start moving until about 30secs in and Sarah takes a spill about
:58 seconds in when a log gets her, but she gets right back up and goes on.

Its pretty rare for us to get a good coating of snow in GA, but this one was forecasted to come in, so we
loaded up the dirt bikes the night before and headed to our favorite off road park and rented a cabin for the night.
It was valentine's weekend and what a great way to spend it together.

I really apologize for the crappy sound in this first video. We had just bought the GoPro that
morning to record our riding and I didn't latch the case tight, so it vibrated in the case and caused the
horrible sound and blurriness you see. Hopefully the music drowns most of it out.

I was so proud of Sarah though as this was pretty tough riding and she was a trooper through it all.
At this point, she had only been dirt biking for about 3 months and was doing great.

I fixed the case, so this video is much better with the sound and more enjoyable to watch.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #60
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,396
Tiffany Coates - in The guineas book of records as the worlds most traveled woman motorcyclist

Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote