Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
dogmoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Prescott AZ

I will have five days of riding around the Precott area while the wife and her sister visit my niece. I have a Garmin gps and will be on a klr 650 and any 1 day trax would be appreciated, Thanks
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Prescott to Crown King and back.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon
any 1 day trax would be appreciated, Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Prescott to Crown King and back.
Got a track for that, Jerry?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Got a track for that, Jerry?
It is a main road shows on any road map. Turn South at light on Mt. Vernon a few blocks east of court house. That turns into Senator Hwy and 5 miles out of town it turns to dirt. Stop at Palace Station and old log stage stop on this old highway to phoenix. Crown King has bar/cafe and gas I think. Every Dual Sport ride in the area goes there for lunch.

I made a waypoint at Mt. Vernon and at Crown King and used CN to made a route between them. It went through Walker which is ok but I added a way point at Groom Creek to make it follow Senator Hwy. You could go down one and come back the other.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Prescott-CK.gpx (83.4 KB, 349 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
dogmoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
crown king

Hey Jerry I just want to thank you for the track I did that route on the first day I was there and had a blast. I had a good burger at the saloon also. Thanks again, sorry about being so late with a response.
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
An extension of that route might be to continue past Crown King on the Crown King Road where you emerge at Agua Fria Nat Monument. On the other side of I-17 pick up Bloody Basin Road and continue east. Some twenty miles into Bloody Basin you come up on Cave Creek Road/Seven Springs Road. Turn right and head south through Camp Creek. You end up hitting pavement in Carefree, just north of Scottsdale.

I've never ridden it and have no tracks. I just scouted it on my DeLorme AZ map book. I was hoping to spend Feb out there on my 950 so I planned a few rides. Unfortunately I never left Boston.

Another ride I scouted was just off the Beeline Hwy (87) northeast of Fountain Hills. Pick up 4 Peaks Rd/Cline Cabin Rd over the mountains towards Roosevelt Lake. Work your way to El Oso Rd and come out on 188 just on the northwest corner of the lake. Cross 188 and pick up A Cross Rd heading east along the north shore. From there you hit 288 (dirt) and turn north to climb the Mogollon Rim through the Sierra Ancha Wilderness. Maybe loop back to Prescott (pronounced Preskitt )...Wow, I can hardly wait to try those old roads! With names like Bloody Basin and Camp Creek, they must have character.

I spent 3 years in the Valley of the Sun in the middle 80's. I regretted leaving it ever since. It is the most spectacular region I've ever seen. I bought property there recently and plan on visiting every winter to poke around those paths on a dual sport bike.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
What do you think of continuing this track on down past Lake Pleasant to pick up the Carefree Highway? Is that route big bike friendly? I threw together a route on Google maps, the track would look like this...
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Vistancia to Prescott.gpx (106.6 KB, 157 views)
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
triple w
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'd stay off Senator Hwy on the weekends. Too much traffic. School has started so it should be better.
I think I would go North on Williamson Valley road. West toward Camp Wood, North to Walnut Creek (Forest Service Station) and loop back to Williamson Valley. I don't have any tracks for you, Sorry.
TW
triple w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
mediaguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Years ago I laid out a national dual sport ride out of Wickensburg. Bypassed Crown King and made a loop thru Prescott and back but we always made a side trip to Crown King for lunch. I know we went up a 4wd trail to get to the top and it was a bit knarly back then. Zipped right past the jeeps though.
mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote