User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 438 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #4021
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 25,699
I guess I should be grateful that I didn't make that comment about owing your pimp back wages.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #4022
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
I did pull the trigger on this one last night, while it was on a 3-hour sale:

My first chronograph. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #4023
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
I did pull the trigger on this one last night, while it was on a 3-hour sale:

My first chronograph. Can't wait for it to get here.
If chronographs are your thing, and you've got a tight budget, keep your eyes out for watches powered with the ETA C01-211 calibre movement. It's pretty unique in that it's automatic mechanical, and it's built to be affordable. The movement is brand new, really. The cool thing about them is that it's built on the old Lemania 5100 movement. The uncool thing about it is that they tossed the best part of the 5100 movement. But it's hard to argue the value...for less than the cost of maintenance on most swiss chrono movements...you can replace this one with a brand new one. nice.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 05:25 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #4024
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,954
Some of these Dubey watches are pretty nice. I've put a bid in on one like this:

Uses one of the old movements that Cinette Robert bought up back in the 70's.

150 made, uses an R92 movement from the 50's.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #4025
Censport
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
If chronographs are your thing, and you've got a tight budget, keep your eyes out for watches powered with the ETA C01-211 calibre movement. It's pretty unique in that it's automatic mechanical, and it's built to be affordable. The movement is brand new, really. The cool thing about them is that it's built on the old Lemania 5100 movement. The uncool thing about it is that they tossed the best part of the 5100 movement. But it's hard to argue the value...for less than the cost of maintenance on most swiss chrono movements...you can replace this one with a brand new one. nice.
I don't know if chronographs are my thing yet; I'll try this one and find out. Thanks for tip though, I'll check out that movement.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #4026
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 216
My German obsession is growing

theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4027
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,128
I have always dug Sinn watches.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #4028
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know if chronographs are my thing yet; I'll try this one and find out. Thanks for tip though, I'll check out that movement.

This is the one I thought you might like...

And this one...doesn't even break $300!

Hell, I just might pick one up! The old Lemania 5100 was a great movement. It's not pretty. But it's rugged.

Speaking of Lemania 5100... here's my favorite incarnation of it...Between the 7750 vs. the 5100, I'd take the ugly functional 5100 any day of the week. The chronograph is just way more readable.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #4029
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
Some of these Dubey watches are pretty nice. I've put a bid in on one like this:

Uses one of the old movements that Cinette Robert bought up back in the 70's.

150 made, uses an R92 movement from the 50's.

MAN!!! I like a lot of their watches I see on Ebay, but I can't drop that coin on a watch.... much as I'd love to. I really like the style of some of their models, to include case, face, numerals, etc. Love them. Just can't do it.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #4030
Censport
Vendor

Quote:
This is the one I thought you might like...

The Veloci-T does look nice. I've seen them just under $600, if I'm remembering correctly. I picked up that Jacques Lemans for $77.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #4031
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Veloci-T does look nice. I've seen them just under $600, if I'm remembering correctly. I picked up that Jacques Lemans for $77.
Yeah, that's definitely dirt cheap!

I know the autos would be more expensive. But compared to what normal costs are for a swiss chrono movement (you're talking $3k+) having options that go down as low as $300 for a respectable movement is actually kinda groundbreaking. The Swatch Irony Auto Chrono is actually cheaper than my Citizen Eco-Drive! It's not going to win a price war...but at least it's within on the same order of magnitude.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #4032
Censport
Vendor

Quote:
Yeah, that's definitely dirt cheap!

I know the autos would be more expensive. But compared to what normal costs are for a swiss chrono movement (you're talking $3k+) having options that go down as low as $300 for a respectable movement is actually kinda groundbreaking. The Swatch Irony Auto Chrono is actually cheaper than my Citizen Eco-Drive! It's not going to win a price war...but at least it's within on the same order of magnitude.
Quite true, that is groundbreaking. Definitely something to keep in mind if I want to step up.

Speaking of the Eco-Drive, I got one for my dad for Christmas. Now if Christmas would just get here so I can see his reaction...

Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #4033
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Quite true, that is groundbreaking. Definitely something to keep in mind if I want to step up.

Speaking of the Eco-Drive, I got one for my dad for Christmas. Now if Christmas would just get here so I can see his reaction...

The Ecodrive watches are totally underrated. I wear the Citizen BN0000-04H Professional Diver Eco-Drive and it is just the right size - not as large as some of the more functional watches, yet sufficiently substantial. It keeps time very accurately, has strong luminescence and is waterproof as advertized. Would have liked to have atomic time setting which would obviate the crown to make it even more simple.

All that for around $150!

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #4034
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
I had that same watch for 2 years, great watch. I replaced the band right away. I really like citizen's, they make a quality watch at an affordable price. I also like the accuracy of quartz w/out having to worry about ever changing a battery.

Here is my current Citizen:

nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #4035
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca View Post

The Ecodrive watches are totally underrated. I wear the Citizen BN0000-04H Professional Diver Eco-Drive and it is just the right size - not as large as some of the more functional watches, yet sufficiently substantial. It keeps time very accurately, has strong luminescence and is waterproof as advertized. Would have liked to have atomic time setting which would obviate the crown to make it even more simple.

All that for around $150!

I have the same watch to save wear and tear on my Tag. I'm one of those who "has" to wear a watch 24/7 or I feel incomplete. I've forgotten my cell, but never a watch.

The Citizen is a tough well made watch. Mine has scratches, I'm not a fan of the band (to much like plastic) but after having to replace the batteries in my Bulova's twice a year, it is a great watch.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: