Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #34711
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
All this talk about frame bracing. This will give you a rack and brace your frame. I know because this is what I have and it is what I took on my 8 month / 35,000 mile trip around the country. It survived 2 crashes, one at 30 mph and the other at 70mph. Both times the bike was fully loaded with about 40-50 pounds of gear. Look at the pic and that is how much gear was on her. The frame was fine both times. The only thing was that it cracked about 1/4 of the way thru after the second wreck. Not even in the typical spot either. I rode for ~600 ish miles with it like that and never even knew it. With this rack there is no need to reinforce the frame, plus you get a bomb ass rack.

Granted I also had the Wolfman side racks with it. The first set EVER made. I know, I was there.

One BOMB ASS rack!!!!!

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #34712
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
My braces

Guys, this is what I chose to do in advance of frame issues. 3/16 plate mig welded in and primed, painted and clear coated (used color rite match and their 2 part clear coat). I posted my templates up elsewhere in this thread but here they are again. I was heavily loaded with a pro moto billet rear rack and full camping gear and didn't have a problem on the whole TAT. I also had wolfman side racks that without a doubt add even more reinforcement. I also welded in a piece of flat bar and filled in the holes on the horizontal brace which is surprisingly flimsy in stock form.

Granted this was time consuming and lots of trimming and fitting of the plates was needed to get a tight fit around all of the frame fittings and hardware. This works with the battery box and stock exhaust in place. I did have to trim a small cutout on the RHS for the wolfman racks that bolt in under the fender. If done carefully you can tie in to multiple stock mounting flanges and really tie the whole thing together. A very small amount of rear fender trimming is needed to get it to mount up around the braces.

Nothing extravagant in the way of equipment; Millermatic mig welder (runs off 110), side grinder, cutoff wheel, etc. I did have a welder buddy use his plasma cutter to cut out the templates as a starting point just to save time.

Hope this helps anyone looking at doing this mod.

Andy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #34713
R80GSPDPETE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
XR650L gas leak

Just brought this nicely set up 2006 XR650L home and went to fire it up....... and it spewed gas from the overflow tubes all over my driveway!
I am new to these bikes and am not familiar with the carbs yet but gas was coming from both the tube that attaches to the bottom of the carb as well as from the other tube that has a Y in it. one side of the Y is attached to the left side of the carb but the other was just hanging in mid air. can someone help me as to where that one attaches to ( look like perhaps on the right side at the top of the carb but its just a termination point ) and why its pissing gas??

Thanks!!

R80GSPDPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #34714
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,630
OK big man, I have to ask. How small do you make your XRL look? I thought L's were supposed to be big.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #34715
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Your right. Make your big bike bigger.

I'm 6'3" so I added 2" Rox Risors. I love 'em!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #34716
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Yea, I do know. I will have the time to build the bike by the time it needs it. I only have 11,000 miles on it now. In about 30,000 more miles I'll do a frame up restore.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #34717
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
OK big man, I have to ask. How small do you make your XRL look? I thought L's were supposed to be big.

I've been asked , is that a motorcycle stuck in your ass ,

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #34718
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I've been asked , is that a motorcycle stuck in your ass ,

Biggie how much is that house behind you

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #34719
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,630
Biggie, I am so glad to see another "normal" sized guy riding. I get tired of hearing all the whining about "its too tall, its too heavy" Sheesh.

I think it is time to put my personalized plate onto the bike UB2SHRT

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #34720
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan

Oddometer: 99
R80gspdpete......

Check the float level.......the line to the Y is an overflow for the fuel bowl, I believe.

Regards
Darryl
xj750guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #34721
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
So I've been so slammed with my new job I barely get a chance to read the thread and haven't been able to keep up.

Good news first

Manracks tie-downs are awesome!! NO clearance issues with the Acerbis Tank

http://www.manracks.com/master#!__master/xr650l-dr650-tie-downs

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #34722
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Bad news

Twisted Throttle SW-MOTECH sub-frame support arms only work with a stock muffler.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6887/667/

Also, the bolt that shares the aftermarket muffler and turn signal bolt isn't long enough. I wish I would have noticed that it wouldn't bolt up to the passenger peg before I went to the hardware store to buy a longer bolt.

Upside is they are very stout!! I've read some comments about them crinkling and I would say after having them in my hand, you would have to put a LOT of weight on the back to get them to crinkle. Like can't keep the front wheel down weight.

I was really excited when I mounted the first one. I liked how it mounted to the top foot peg. Balanced really nice with the Cycle Rack.

One other thing I didn't care for was the allen wrench bolts. It's not a big deal. I just don't care for them.

I plan to send a link to this comment to Twisted Throttle so they will update their product description to say that it only works with the stock muffler. Hopefully, they will consider redesigning that side. I was really looking forward to the reinforcement.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #34723
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
subframe support

Anything worth doing is worth doing right

Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #34724
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
So uh... sorry for the newb question but if you dump the bike to the left why does it smell like gas? Pouring out the carb?

I'm sure you can guess how I know - I tested this theory several times
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #34725
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
So uh... sorry for the newb question but if you dump the bike to the left why does it smell like gas? Pouring out the carb?

I'm sure you can guess how I know - I tested this theory several times
Yes.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote