User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Smithy OP
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,521
A little skyline ride

I thought with Glen digging through mud and muck, that I should get off my lazy american backside and go for a ride. So I grabbed Craig, the guy that bought Barry's GS, and we did a couple hundred miles up and around Skyline Drive in Virginia. I gotta learn to stop and take more pictures, though - these are all pretty much at the top, and there was some great riding once we got off the 30-mph slug-fest that was every tourist out for a ride that day.

First we paid our dues and got the map...

The we cruised and cruised until we found a good lookout...

It ain't no rainforest, but it's still green...

Of course, the bikes were happy...

We ate a sandwich at some overpriced shop just south of Skyland, and ditched out on 33 east. Found some really cool 1-lane sorta-paved and quite a few gravel roads criss-crossing the landscape which we took great fun in riding. Saw a deer up on the ridge, and a red-headed buzzard down below guarding it's carrion. Got a little lost around Old Rag, and ended up in the trailhead parking lot. Picked our way back to Warrenton, where steak and shrimp and chicken were devoured at the Outback. For me it was 270 miles all around, now I'm spending today adjusting my chain (Craig said it was the only thing he could hear while following me) and wishing it were about 10 degrees cooler so I could justify putting on the leather and doing it again.

As you can see, my proto-adventures have nothing on the really cool stuff the rest of you do, but I'm getting there.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote