Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #76
crestedbutte-rtw
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Any thoughts? Stuck In sayulita, mexico

2009 KLR 650
Hi I am starting my rtw and made it to Sayulita (not a bad place to be stuck). I think the guy who sold me the bike sold a lemon to me. But anyways all the way down here it has been drink oil, and today I started the bike fine moved it to the road and packed it up. I started it back up jumped on and made it 1.5 blocks and she just shot off. Only way she will run is if hte choke is full on. I don't know much about fourstroke always a 2 stroke guy. But from my bike drinking oil and the fact that she will only start and run on choke I am guessing need top end?? What do you think? Fletch

www.wheresfletch.com
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #77
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,664
I think the oil comsumption and the ony running when the choke is on are unrelated -- the carb could likely use a good cleaning, and the plug may be fouled . . . .

one you get it running as well as possible, THEN check into the oil consumption problem . . . .

my 2 cents.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #78
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,295
Very true, probably unrelated other than the plug may be "oil fouled" from the heavy oil consumption. Usually only one oil consumption symptom is due to rings which excessive speeds (75-80 constantly) can accelerate quickly. my .02

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #79
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post
2009 KLR 650
Hi I am starting my rtw and made it to Sayulita (not a bad place to be stuck). I think the guy who sold me the bike sold a lemon to me. But anyways all the way down here it has been drink oil, and today I started the bike fine moved it to the road and packed it up. I started it back up jumped on and made it 1.5 blocks and she just shot off. Only way she will run is if hte choke is full on. I don't know much about fourstroke always a 2 stroke guy. But from my bike drinking oil and the fact that she will only start and run on choke I am guessing need top end?? What do you think? Fletch

www.wheresfletch.com
I agree, I would take the carb off the bike and give it very good cleaning, look for any dirt anywhere. Take out main, pilot jets, emulsion tube, pilot jet screw, everything! Becareful with the rubber diaphram, make sure it has absolutely NO HOLES in it, you can stretch it a bit to make it easier to see a pin hole. If it has one, go to the nearest Hardley store and buy their's It's much cheaper by maybe 50%. Just take yours in and say.....please sell me a new one.....lol
A new to me trick for cleaning carbs is to use Pinesol cleaner, fill a container with straight Pinesol and submerge the carb and let stand a few hours, then aggitate, let stand overnight and wash clean. Blow out all air/fuel passages with carb cleaner and you will be amazed at how new it looks!
I would also change out your spark plug.
Have you checked your valves yet? They may be some of your problem too? When checking the valves you can also take a good look at the cam bearing surfaces. If you have major issues, I would be fixing or replacing them before relying on your bike to carry you RTW....best breakdown in a civiliozed location rather than a Columbian drug field!

As for the oil drinking, a 685 kit is the cheapest way to solve that problem. it is an easy fix if you have access to a garage and some tools, a straight exchange is possible.
.Let us know what you find and how it's going. We're here to help....
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #80
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,210
Suspension

Let's talk suspension mods. Who's done them, what have you done, why, and what/where do you ride?

Me? Just picked up a 2006KLR650 with 10K miles. Don't know much about it yet. Looks pretty stock. I weigh 200# and will be riding street, gravel, FS roads, desert, single track, goat trails, etc with and without gear for camping out. Wherever I can manage to take it. Idaho is a DS rider's mecca and I have the need to make the most of it. Suspension mods on my '06KLX250 made a huge difference in off-road rideability. Is the KLR similar? It's not clear to me because so many don't seem to do much if anything.

What are your thoughts on fork springs? Flat rate or progressive? Are heavier springs even needed?
Emulators vs. Intiminators? I've hear rumor that progressive suspension is going to release a complete cartridge replacement system for the forks, but it's not listed on their site yet.

What about the rear? Who's done the 465?
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #81
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Let's talk suspension mods. Who's done them, what have you done, why, and what/where do you ride?

Me? Just picked up a 2006KLR650 with 10K miles. Don't know much about it yet. Looks pretty stock. I weigh 200# and will be riding street, gravel, FS roads, desert, single track, goat trails, etc with and without gear for camping out. Wherever I can manage to take it. Idaho is a DS rider's mecca and I have the need to make the most of it. Suspension mods on my '06KLX250 made a huge difference in off-road rideability. Is the KLR similar? It's not clear to me because so many don't seem to do much if anything.

What are your thoughts on fork springs? Flat rate or progressive? Are heavier springs even needed?
Emulators vs. Intiminators? I've hear rumor that progressive suspension is going to release a complete cartridge replacement system for the forks, but it's not listed on their site yet.

What about the rear? Who's done the 465?
I just installed the Progressive 465 rear shock a few weeks ago and what a difference in how nice the riding is now. I use to brace myself when I seen a bump or pothole coming but now I look for them just because it handles them so much better. I believe the KLR shock is set up for a 160 lb person. I have some Progressive front springs too and going to get some Intiminators in Oregon on my way to Mexico next month at Pro Cycle. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html . The intiminators are easy to install and never need to be adjusted, the Emulators are adjustable and need to be set up to your liking. So a little more work to install and set up I have been told.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #82
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
pic's

figure it out and post some Idaho ride pic's already.............

I love Idaho.........only been in a car but i've always wanted to go back for a summer....
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #83
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

missing my KLR

I'm stuck in Chicago working and missing the best time of year to ride the N Ga mtns.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #84
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

missing my KLR

opps ment to add my pic's
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #85
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
After
I really like the after.

Good looking rig, I love the soft bags.

Three thumbs up.

Murph.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #86
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,053
Thumb

Subscribed. Some of you clowns unknowingly convinced me I needed a KLR a year and a half ago when I decided to return to riding. So I bought this hideous, dented, scratched, 1989 tractor-on-2-wheels for $1200. In the first 5 minutes I thought I'd bought too much bike and those naysayers were right ("If you buy a 650 as your first bike you will DIE!"). An hour later and I was madly in love. Farkles naturally followed. This is how it looks today but I plan on painting it this winter as even I have come to admit it's stuck in the 1980s with this paint scheme:

I'm not sure I have 2 grand in this donkey and can't conceive of ever wanting to sell it. Suits my riding style perfectly (slow and steady) and has been completely reliable. It does have some 'character' as others have noted:
1) The seat sucks
2) Brakes are 'meh'
3) Good golly, she really should stay away from the dessert buffet. She's a bit portly
4) Dammit! I tried shifting into 6th gear AGAIN!

To the last issue, I've come up with a mental reminder of how not to make that shift attempt into the invisible gear. "4-60" or 4 thousand revs at 60 mph. If I'm anywhere around that, well, there's your top gear.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #87
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
I've come up with a mental reminder of how not to make that shift attempt into the invisible gear. "4-60" or 4 thousand revs at 60 mph. If I'm anywhere around that, well, there's your top gear.
Exactly! that's my reminder also.........................but sometimes I try to shift into 6th anyway

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #88
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

As for the suspension on our KLRs, I have a fully modded, revalved, remote reservoir STOCH rear shock on mine(don't ask, I can't get another one done, it was a special favor from a buddy who has in's with factory race teams etc) and the front has stock forks with progressive springs and intimidators, I also added an extra inch in spacer length to make them stiffer for my liking. The bike performs extremely well for my style of riding, 95% street with some two track adventures. It will ride over washboard roads with ease....I'm a 205lb 6" man.....who loves adventure riding over off road riding.....Damn this sounds like a personal add request....lol Just so you know what it's set up for.
Yes the KLR was made with a light 165lb rider in mind, why I can't figure out.....maybe they never thought they would export them?...lol
So, if you want to get the most from your bike, maybe you should upgrade the suspension to suit your needs.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #89
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Exactly! that's my reminder also.........................but sometimes I try to shift into 6th anyway

Same here, and more so lately!!!......augh!!!!!!

I also have 16/42 gearing to make it even better RPM wise at speed and I STILL try!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #90
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,491
My '07 catches a false neutral between first and second, but only when really cold. It's troublesome. My mechanic can't explain it. Mounting the T-Bob (sorry, didn't want to re-open that debate) helped, as it warms up more quickly. Anyone have experience with a similar situation?

Loving the new translucent IMS tank I mounted a week or two ago. Did 150 miles yesterday, and I can check my fuel status with a glance. Pretty sure I now have a solid 300 mile range.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote