Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #181
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
yep we are gonna get out the jigs for that brace , wipe the webs off and Crank em out like biscuits

Are you saying Manracks is gonna be passing these out for stocking stuffers to the first 50 inmates to say , I'll take a set for my PIG.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #182
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
yep we are gonna get out the jigs for that brace , wipe the webs off and Crank em out like biscuits
I've got a few ideas concerning the right side brace for the XR650L, Mike. I'll post a few photos, and my ideas, a little later this evening.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #183
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Are you saying Manracks is gonna be passing these out for stocking stuffers to the first 50 inmates to say , I'll take a set for my PIG.
No because they wont fit all the different cans that are out there but after this i am gonna get on
up dating the jigs then we can look for a few freebees , you guys know i love to give shit away , Christmas is too close but next spring we should have a quite few subscribe to be on the list ok, then you will get a email when there ready, thanks good question
your allways looking out for the riders that's why i luv ya brutha , and the money ant shit ,this part is for fun
its gonna be tough we need riders with there different cans to email there dims so we can have one size fits all
Honda XR650L's thats is
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #184
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No because they wont fit all the different cans that are out there but after this i am gonna get on
up dating the jigs then we can look for a few freebees , you guys know i love to give shit away , Christmas is too close but next spring we should have a quite few subscribe to be on the list ok, then you will get a email when there ready, thanks good question
your allways looking out for the riders that's why i luv ya brutha , and the money ant shit ,this part is for fun
its gonna be tough we need riders with there different cans to email there dims so we can have one size fits all
Honda XR650L's thats is
I've already got my Spud Struts, Mike. However, I would still like to be placed on the list of one of the right side braces you will develop for the XR650L. I think you can improve my design, and the resulting, right side brace will work for all XR650L mufflers.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #185
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Quote:
Honda XR650L's thats is

You know me , I cant have just 1 of anything , well , except a wife

I have a DG and an FMF exhaust , the FMF is on my bike and the DG is in storage , Just say the word , and when your ready I will send it to you for mock-up

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #186
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 346
Crash bars, and luggage/heat shields....

Your racks look great! I have a few guys asking for these ..... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620536 but dont really have the proper set up to make more than my one set. If you would like I can send my sample as a jig. Are you interested in make some for the 950se guys...

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #187
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitster View Post
Your racks look great! I have a few guys asking for these ..... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620536 but dont really have the proper set up to make more than my one set. If you would like I can send my sample as a jig. Are you interested in make some for the 950se guys...
Whats a 950SE
what R U talking bout man those look nice
those guys drink funny beer down there , we normally stick to Hondas Yamahas and Suzukis
but if it will help you guys out i can take a look, be glad to, pm me if you need my addy, mike
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #188
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

I frequently pack my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk with a hefty load of groceries. I also like to take short trips with my XR650L, and I prefer to take along my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk as my luggage. Therefore, I decided I should reinforce the subframe of my XR650L. Since I removed the battery box when I performed my Shorai battery relocation, I decided to bolt a -inch thick, steel bar between the two supports that previously held the frame for the battery box.

For the subframe support on the muffler side, my friend welded a short piece of steel bar at an angle to a longer piece of steel bar. I removed the rear fender brace, and mounted the rear of this bar with the bolt that previously held the fender brace. The bottom of the air box has a thick tab which is bolted to a frame gusset which supports both the air box, and the front of the muffler. I drilled a hole through this lower, air box support, and bolted the front of this brace to the frame gusset.

Here is a photograph from the rear of my bike, showing the clearance between the subframe struts and the rear tire.

Here is a photograph of the right side of my bike, after the installation of the subframe struts. The front mounting bolt for the right side strut is located within the green circle in this photo.

I have a 2-inch space between the outside of the left strut, and my XR600R side plastic. Therefore, I plan to mount a tool tube/box to this strut, and remove the factory tool bag. With the stock tool bag removed, I can install a new, ManRacks RotoPax rack which mounts closer to the saddle, reducing the leverage the loaded rack exerts on the subframe.

Spud
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #189
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I frequently pack my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk with a hefty load of groceries. I also like to take short trips with my XR650L, and I prefer to take along my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk as my luggage. Therefore, I decided I should reinforce the subframe of my XR650L. Since I removed the battery box when I performed my Shorai battery relocation, I decided to bolt a -inch thick, steel bar between the two supports that previously held the frame for the battery box.

For the subframe support on the muffler side, my friend welded a short piece of steel bar at an angle to a longer piece of steel bar. I removed the rear fender brace, and mounted the rear of this bar with the bolt that previously held the fender brace. The bottom of the air box has a thick tab which is bolted to a frame gusset which supports both the air box, and the front of the muffler. I drilled a hole through this lower, air box support, and bolted the front of this brace to the frame gusset.

Here is a photograph from the rear of my bike, showing the clearance between the subframe struts and the rear tire.

Here is a photograph of the right side of my bike, after the installation of the subframe struts. The front mounting bolt for the right side strut is located within the green circle in this photo.

I have a 2-inch space between the outside of the left strut, and my XR600R side plastic. Therefore, I plan to mount a tool tube/box to this strut, and remove the factory tool bag. With the stock tool bag removed, I can install a new, ManRacks RotoPax rack which mounts closer to the saddle, reducing the leverage the loaded rack exerts on the subframe.

Spud
if you have read that post by michael brat, his impression is that the right side is the weakest
because they made the left side stronger for that battery holder , what do ya think spud would a strut on the right side be enough, PS keep those desktop background images comin spud we luv them

jungleplant screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 08:04 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #190
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

I hope BigMan doesn't mind; I borrowed one of his photographs to perform the Photoshop work shown below. The first photograph shows the location of both my Spud Struts on the frame of the XR650L.

I believe my triangulated, 1/4-inch thick, steel bars are stronger than gussets welded to the frame. I also believe the bolted struts prevent possible damage to the frame which might be caused by welding. The following, doctored photograph shows only the location of my right Spud Strut.

The right Spud Strut is bolted to a gusset on the frame which supports the front of the muffler. However, the bolt securing the front of my right Spud Strut currently passes through a thick, plastic tab located at the bottom of the airbox. This tab isn't necessary, since the airbox is supported by two bolts on top which secure it to the bike's frame.

I would prefer to cut away this plastic tab, so one could weld a metal tab extending to the right from the front of my Spud Strut. The mounting bolt could then be attached to this metal tab, lessening the shear forces on the bolt. Also, with this arrangement, the airbox would not be compromised by the potential failure of the front mounting bolt. In addition to the two, top bolts, the air box would also be supported by resting upon the metal tab extending from the right of the strut. What do you think, Mike?

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 08:47 PM
Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #191
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
if you have read that post by michael brat, his impression is that the right side is the weakest
because they made the left side stronger for that battery holder , what do ya think spud would a strut on the right side be enough, PS keep those desktop background images comin spud we luv them
It does appear most of the frame fractures occur on the right side of the frame, Mike. However, I think the subframe will be supported better by bolting struts onto both sides of the frame. I encourage you to mount a left strut to the two battery box mounts, as I have done. If necessary, you can employ a spacer or two to prevent incursion with the battery box. I believe the left strut is not only shorter, and lighter in weight, but it is also stronger than the TT strut when bolted to the two supports supplied for the battery box.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 11:25 PM
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #192
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Quote:
I hope BigMan doesn't mind; I borrowed one of his photographs to perform the Photoshop work shown below.

Spud
Spud , That dont bother me a bit, anything that will help , l , In fact , if you need a few more pics , I think I have some more that are different then these , just let me know if yall want me to post a few more

Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #193
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spud , That dont bother me a bit, anything that will help , l , In fact , if you need a few more pics , I think I have some more that are different then these , just let me know if yall want me to post a few more
Thank you, BigMan. I believe my modified Spud Strut might solve the problem with the weak, XR650L subframe. I'm also pretty sure my modified Spud Strut will work with all aftermarket mufflers, in addition to the stock muffler. Because of his generosity to me, and others, I freely offer this design for Mike's consideration.

Spud
Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #194
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you have any photos clearly showing the frame gusset supporting the front of the muffler, please do post them, BigMan.

My Spud Struts have performed very well for me this year. I believe adding a tab to the front of my right Spud Strut will strengthen the design even more, and obviate the potential difficulties involved with welding gussets to the bike's frame. I also believe the shorter, straighter design of my Spud Struts is stronger than the longer, bent design of the TT frame braces.

If Mike wants to build a prototype, right Spud Strut, I will be happy to cut away the air box tab on my XR650L, and experiment with the new design.

Spud
Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #195
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Thank you, BigMan. I believe my modified Spud Strut might solve the problem with the weak, XR650L subframe. I'm also pretty sure my modified Spud Strut will work with all aftermarket mufflers, in addition to the stock muffler. Because of his generosity to me, and others, I freely offer this design for Mike's consideration.

Spud
Thanks spud i think we need to rename them to SPUD TATTERS or SPUD STUDS
can you live without them for a week
if you need some paypal for the shipping make biggie pay for it Na ill send it thanks spud