Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #196
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Thanks spud i think we need to rename them to SPUD TATTERS or SPUD STUDS
can you live without them for a week
if you need some paypal for the shipping make biggie pay for it Na ill send it thanks spud
Sure, I shall let you borrow my Spud Struts for a week or so, Mike. Give me a day or two to pull them off the bike, and I will ship them to you in the same box with the rack I need to return.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #197
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Sure, I shall let you borrow my Spud Struts for a week or so, Mike. Give me a day or two to pull them off the bike, and I will ship them to you in the same box with the rack I need to return.

Spud
ok spud thanks, ps
i have invited Michael Brat to the thread because he has actually had a frame failure and has great knowledge on this subject
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #198
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ok spud thanks, ps
i have invited Michael Brat to the thread because he has actually had a frame failure and has great knowledge on this subject
You're welcome, Mike. I look forward to hearing Mike Bratcher's viewpoints on this subject.

I think the brace for the battery box strengthens the left side of the XR650L subframe. However, the battery box weighs over ten pounds, and I don't think the subframe benefits from having the battery box slamming on it. I have read reports of a few battery boxes breaking off during long trips into rough terrain.

I'm glad I removed the battery box when I relocated my Shorai battery to the top of the airbox. However, one can remove 5 pounds of weight from the battery box by merely substituting a Shorai battery for the stock battery.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #199
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
You're welcome, Mike. I look forward to hearing Mike Bratcher's viewpoints on this subject.

I think the brace for the battery box strengthens the left side of the XR650L subframe. However, the battery box weighs over ten pounds, and I don't think the subframe benefits from having the battery box slamming on it. I have read reports of a few battery boxes breaking off during long trips into rough terrain.

I'm glad I removed the battery box when I relocated my Shorai battery to the top of the airbox. However, one can remove 5 pounds of weight from the battery box by merely substituting a Shorai battery for the stock battery.

Spud
Ya it should be interesting , I think its best to configure the struts to help the stock-bike because most riders leave there bikes stock, but many change the muffler so that would be the 2nd, then the battery seems to be the 3rd upgrade that would effect the fitment of the strut of course theres always the guys like me that want a tractor tire , can you guys think of any i have missed I would like to hang some additional mounting points onto them as well we have a 150 ton brake press to bend them and a 4000 watt laser to cut them but we need to keep the cost down for the rider these need to be affordable as hell guys
Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #200
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ya it should be interesting , I think its best to configure the struts to help the stock-bike because most riders leave there bikes stock, but many change the muffler so that would be the 2nd, then the battery seems to be the 3rd upgrade that would effect the fitment of the strut of course theres always the guys like me that want a tractor tire , can you guys think of any i have missed I would like to hang some additional mounting points onto them as well we have a 150 ton brake press to bend them and a 4000 watt laser to cut them but we need to keep the cost down for the rider these need to be affordable as hell guys
I think there's a good chance my left Spud Strut will fit with the stock battery box in place. If it doesn't fit over the battery box, I don't think my left Spud Strut will need to be modified very much; adding a tab, or a spacer behind the front bolt will probably suffice.

Clearance for wide tires will not be an issue. My Spud Struts leave lots of room for even the largest tires.

Accommodating different mufflers is not a problem, since my right Spud Strut is located inside the muffler. You will merely need to add a tab to the front of my right Spud Strut, so it can directly contact the frame gusset, as shown below.

My modified, right Spud Strut will require the XR650L owner to remove the plastic tab at the bottom of the airbox, but this will not compromise the strength of the airbox. I would rather remove the airbox tab, than weld gussets onto the bike's frame.

If I were going to weld, I would prefer to add a single bolt holder, such as the ones used to attach the battery box to the frame. I would weld the bolt holder to the right side of the frame, down by the muffler pipe, as shown in the following, doctored photograph.

Then one could bolt a straight Spud Strut on the right side, as shown below.

Here's a photograph simulating the installation of two, straight Spud Stuts on the frame of the bike.

However, as I said before, I would prefer to remove the airbox tab, and bolt directly to the existing gusset, rather than do any welding at all.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 12:05 AM
Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #201
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Spud how thick would the Standoffs have to be to keep the struts straight and would it be possible to go all the way to the blinker mount hole , if need be , do you think it does , could it be better there

Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #202
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spud how thick would the Standoffs have to be to keep the struts straight and would it be possible to go all the way to the blinker mount hole , if need be , do you think it does , could it be better there

My Spud Struts are pretty straight, Mike. I think the photograph above contains a bit of an optical illusion. In any event, the 1/4-inch thick, steel bar is very strong, and any curve in the bar should be stronger than the bends in the TT braces.

If a slight curve is present in the left Spud Strut, it is caused by the different angles of the bolt mounting brackets for the battery box, and these angles might be unique to each XR650L motorcycle. Any curve in the right Spud Strut can probably be corrected by adjusting the length of the tab needed at the front of the strut.

Others might disagree with me, but I don't think it's necessary to mount the rear of the Spud Struts to the rear blinker holes. The blinker hole bolts are pretty small, and a lot of items are connected to them already. In addition, a longer, left Spud Strut would have a different mounting angle that would probably cause intrusion of the strut with the stock battery box. Lengthening the right Spud Strut might cause it to intrude on the muffler.

Spud
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #203
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
My Spud Struts are pretty straight, Mike. I think the photograph above contains a bit of an optical illusion. In any event, the 1/4-inch thick, steel bar is very strong, and any curve in the bar should be stronger than the bends in the TT braces.

If a slight curve is present in the left Spud Strut, it is caused by the different angles of the bolt mounting brackets for the battery box, and these angles might be unique to each XR650L motorcycle. Any curve in the right Spud Strut can probably be corrected by adjusting the length of the tab needed at the front of the strut.

Others might disagree with me, but I don't think it's necessary to mount the rear of the Spud Struts to the rear blinker holes. The blinker hole bolts are pretty small, and a lot of items are connected to them already. In addition, a longer, left Spud Strut would have a different mounting angle that would probably cause intrusion of the strut with the stock battery box. Lengthening the right Spud Strut might cause it to intrude on the muffler.

Spud
Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #204
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, you could try to fabricate the left Spud Strut in that manner. However, you would probably encounter difficulties because of the different angles in the bolt holders for the battery box.

However, you used the wrong photograph, and got the front two mounting points wrong for the right Spud Strut, Mike. Do you still own an XR650L to experiment upon?

Spud
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #205
islano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
XRR front rack

Hi Mike since you have an R would it be possible to make a front rack like the L's rubicon front rack.

Thanks
Attached Images

islano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #206
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Yes, you could try to fabricate the left Spud Strut in that manner. However, you would probably encounter difficulties because of the different angles in the bolt holders for the battery box.

However, you used the wrong photograph, and got the front two mounting points wrong for the right Spud Strut, Mike. Do you still own an XR650L to experiment upon?

Spud
just thought it might be better up higher , i am thinking strength and final cost
thought i was done with it so i got a R model, wish i would have kept it now , prolly get another after this
if it wont clear everything maybe stay with your design and add the other piece to jump back to the blinker mount because that would killer

jungleplant screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 07:03 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #207
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by islano View Post
Hi Mike since you have an R would it be possible to make a front rack like the L's rubicon front rack.

Thanks
yep that's why i got the R so i could do a few things to it but man that's a different group right there
most owners consider that bike a Moto race bike and wont put a rack on it , but i am trying to tell them its ok, our new bridge support is killer strong , we will soon have a front rack whether they like it or not they just might come around someday
I will have a few hanging
Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #208
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

Biggie

ant you got any pics of diffrent angles on that frame think of it like a photo shoot and the frame is a sexy mama , i wanna see it all
cause me and spud are working on something special for the homies

jungleplant screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 08:08 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #209
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,328
Quote:
ant you got any pics of diffrent angles on that frame

Let me see what I can come up with , but in the meantime

Happy Thanksgiving

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #210
jungleplant OP
Motorcyle Stuff

that looks soo good i am gonna 2nd that

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Let me see what I can come up with , but in the meantime

Happy Thanksgiving

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm