Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #136
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Been trying to figure out where to install my aux lights, and looking through the mod and pic threads, don't see hardly anyone doing this to their KLR.

1. Is there a good reason people don't mount extra lighting on this bike?

2. Is there a preferred or more suitable way to do it, if I'm set on it?

Just looking for inspiration, my current thinking is to bolt on at the bottom edges of the fairing sides, but don't want to be too close to the turn signals. Thought about mounting on forward side plastics, too... so many options, and no examples out there to actually look at before buying hardware and experimenting.
I fabbed up an aluminum mount that bolt to the forks where the shield to keep crap from the underside of the fairing is attached. They are just cheap Walmart halogens at this time. I mainly did it to make me more visible to the cars in front of me.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #137
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 378
With HID's on high and the aux lights lit up.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #138
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post

Just to give you my history w/KLRs, I bought my first one in 1998, promptly bolted on everything I could get my hands on..

I can almost guarantee you that any stupid mistake someone is going to make on a KLR, I have already made it.

Happy Trails makes great parts

Never have meet you in person but having followed your advice for quite a while and have learned from your "stupid mistakes ". Thanks for the participation................now.

I couldn't wait for the header as it is back ordered until mid December so in preparation of tomorrows Thanksgiving day "Turkey Ride".................................................. ...................
Attached Images

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #139
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Hey guys I've been running into issues where I can't wear MX boots on my KLR. The shift lever seems super low and close to the peg in comparison to my WR450. Haven't tried adjusting the stock lever yet, but wanted input from anyone also running into this issue. Can the stock lever be adjusted up far enough that a MX boot with a regular size toe box be able to shift easily? Or am I better off finding a different shift lever? If so which one? And if I can make the adjustment how easy is it? It looks different from my other bikes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
You gotta RH shift KLR? British model?

The lowering brackets make a nice differenct.
Haha... That was actually the right side shifter to get into sixth gear

Here is a better picture of the lowering bracket with the actual shifter.
I'll note that I have bottomed out on them a few times.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #140
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,539
Any way to improve SW Motech Center Stand?

My bike came equipped with the SW Motech center stand. I like center stands. All my bikes with the exception of the sidecar rig are stored on them as a matter of course. I have to say that the KLR nearly makes me drop a nut each time I try to hoist the bike on its SW Motech model. It's worse with a camping load. I've looked with admiration at the Happy Trails design, which seems more rational, but I'm too cheap to fork out $140 for something that's already on the bike and that the PO forked out his hard-earned for. Any trick to making the Motech more user-friendly?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #141
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Any trick to making the Motech more user-friendly?
Regrets if this information is redundant, but--a friend with a non-helper-lever center stand tilts his KLR650 over on its sidestand, raising the rear wheel, then deploys the center stand with his foot, allowing the bike to return upright as the weight is transfered to the now extended center stand.

Kinda hard to describe in words, but--tilting the bike initially onto the side stand provides enough clearance to lower the center stand; when the bike returns to a vertical position the machine is suspended on the center stand. This technique appears less physically stressful than lifting the bike onto the center stand straight away.

Again, regrets if this information is repetitive or obvious; offered constructively in case it may be helpful.

I have a Happy Trails adjustable center stand with assist lever on my bike; still, getting the rear wheel off the ground can be a challenge.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #142
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Regrets if this information is redundant, but--a friend with a non-helper-lever center stand tilts his KLR650 over on its sidestand, raising the rear wheel, then deploys the center stand with his foot, allowing the bike to return upright as the weight is transfered to the now extended center stand.

Kinda hard to describe in words, but--tilting the bike initially onto the side stand provides enough clearance to lower the center stand; when the bike returns to a vertical position the machine is suspended on the center stand. This technique appears less physically stressful than lifting the bike onto the center stand straight away.

Again, regrets if this information is repetitive or obvious; offered constructively in case it may be helpful.

I have a Happy Trails adjustable center stand with assist lever on my bike; still, getting the rear wheel off the ground can be a challenge.
Thanks. That's about how I've been doing it. I see that HT offers a grab handle that might make the process a bit more fluid, but Jeez, $40 for a loop of mild steel? Maybe I'll weld one of those RV jacks on the side instead. I can buy one of those cheap at Tractor Supply.

I don't envy the fellows on the GS1200s and the current crop of bigass DS bikes. My friend Cap'n Jay weighed his GS1200A loaded for bear and it came up well over 800 lbs. Where's the wedding tackle going to be after a few heaves on that after it takes a nap?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #143
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
With HID's on high and the aux lights lit up.

Nice set up !
Does the beam pattern allow you to leave them on all the time? Some of the aux lights that I have looked at are described as trail or off-road lights. I am looking for lights that can be mounted on the lower fork tubes and stay on all the time to increase my visibility to others without blinding them.

I would like to get something like I have on my GS without spending as much.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #144
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I don't envy the fellows on the GS1200s and the current crop of bigass DS bikes. My friend Cap'n Jay weighed his GS1200A loaded for bear and it came up well over 800 lbs. Where's the wedding tackle going to be after a few heaves on that after it takes a nap?
That's why they don't ride the slick stuff alone, and wait for you to come back and help pick it up.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #145
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Is that Jan Michael Vincent?

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #146
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I installed a Moose 1/2" longer shifter, and when I installed it angled it up slightly from the stock position. Works well for shifting in a standing position and with MX boots. I carry the stock as a spare just because I am paranoid about breaking it in the middle of nowhere. As far as adjusting the angle, just loosen the bolt, pull the lever off and put it back on at the different angle. You will need to match up the splines, but that is the only slightly annoying part of the process.

I guess I should add that some folks have just learned to shift with the side of their boot.
Thanks for the info! Will go adjust the shift lever now and give it a go from there. Super warm in Idaho today, I think a Thanksgiving ride will be deemed nessacery after some turkey.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #147
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,606
Actually, lifting a GS or any of the BMW boxer engined bikes is easier than a KLR. The Cof G is low, the head does not allow the bike to lay flat and it does not have all the gas up high. Just back up to the bike and walk it up using your legs.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #148
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,528
Does anyone know anything about the headlight on this KLR?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2708311925.html

I'm contemplating going to look at it, but to be honest I'm big into riding at night (other people are sleeping, and the roads are more open, to try to get anywhere in this long state), and it kinda looks to be more for show than go in as far as light output at night.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #149
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,355
Isn't that Darth Vador's "smile" helmet?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #150
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I had a bike in here with that sort of cheaper fairing, the lights were absolutely useless!!!! Maybe those are better, best way id to go and see......There are so many new lights out there if you are starting from scratch so to speak to choose from that getting a strong light should be an easy job to figure out....IMHO.