Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #151
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Does anyone know anything about the headlight on this KLR?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2708311925.html

I'm contemplating going to look at it, but to be honest I'm big into riding at night (other people are sleeping, and the roads are more open, to try to get anywhere in this long state), and it kinda looks to be more for show than go in as far as light output at night.
It looks like an Acerbis "LED Vision," and that model is non-DOT. I'm not at all sure how the cops are down your way about busting people for that. You'd also have to remove the fairing subframe to mount one, which could be a PITA if you want to return to stock or mount something really tasty, like a Britannia fairing (which are great day and night.) And dude, someone stole the fork boots. . . dig that classic motard styling on that fender. . .

If you want a Motard, get an Aprilia. If you want a DS, get a KLR. Seems to be quite a bit of cash for what it is.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 10:42 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #152
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Seriously, whenever I see a supposed "custom" like that, the first thought that goes through my head is that it was laid down on its nose somehow, and the spendy factory bits replaced with Ebay stuff. If the fairing and fairing subframe took a hit, there's also a strong chance that the speedo did also, so the low miles may not be accurate. Not to mention that the KLR sometimes doesn't like to be continually revved into the higher ranges, which is pretty much motard territory.

The fact that the tank has been repainted (rattle can?) and there's a replacement front wheel -- which is, I confess, perhaps the only authentic Motard detail, would make me a little suspicious of the "never dropped" claim. The guy's a dealer. I'm always more comfortable buying from a fellow ADVer.

There are some very nice KLR motard pics posted around here, but I wouldn't rank this among them.

Canuman screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 10:16 AM
Old 11-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #153
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Not to mention that the KLR sometimes doesn't like to be continually revved into the higher ranges, which is pretty much motard territory.
The rest of your post is bang on, but why do you think that "the KLR doesn't like to be revved into the higher ranges"?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #154
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
The rest of your post is bang on, but why do you think that "the KLR doesn't like to be revved into the higher ranges"?
I said "continually revved," I think, Stu. You simply cannot defeat the demon piston speed, and the cylinder and piston of the KLR aren't exactly cutting edge.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #155
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:
I said "continually revved," I think, Stu. You simply cannot defeat the demon piston speed, and the cylinder and piston of the KLR aren't exactly cutting edge.
My KLR is on its 3rd piston
Old 11-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #156
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
My KLR is on its 3rd piston
I 'spect I'm vindicated. You on a big-bore kit yet?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #157
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,247
Thanks guys.

I don't want to be impolite, so let's just say most people in any sort of profession down here are way behind others doing the same in other parts of the country... The police probably more often charge people incorrectly for various perceived infractions than catching vehicle details pertaining to what is legal and what isn't.

It would thus be fine in most of south Florida in as far as the law goes... now as for night riding - yeah, I'll skip it. I know it sounds easy to say "just go look at it," but traveling just ten miles away down here is nightmare-ish if it isn't directly on the norht-south highway. Ain't worth it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 12:54 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #158
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
@ausfahrt
Those lights are so cheap there is not really much of a beam pattern to speak of. I do leave them on all the time and have not had any angry drivers flashing lights at me. I do not run the high-beam HID during the day, mostly at night when I need a bit more light, it is really bright. The aux lights are also not very efficient and suck up a lot of power. I am looking to upgrade them to a more efficient LED that won't break the bank.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #159
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thanks guys.

I don't want to be impolite, so let's just say most people in some sort of profession down here are way behind others doing the same in other parts of the country... The police probably more often charge people incorrectly for various perceived infractions than catching vehicle details pertaining to what is legal and what isn't.

It would thus be fine in most of south Florida in as far as the law goes... now as for night riding - yeah, I'll skip it. I know it sounds easy to say "just go look at it," but traveling just ten miles away down here is nightmare-ish if it isn't directly on the norht-south highway. Ain't worth it.
Dave,

I suspect you could get a real, unscrewed '04 for about the same price as that freakish monster, particularly if you post in "bikes" here on ADV.

The stock headlight in a KLR isn't all that bad, and can be made wonderful with the addition of an HID kit -- available down your way from www.hidcountry.com for under sixty bucks.

I learned long ago to look at ultra-low-miles bikes with as much suspicion as high-miles bikes. What exactly happened so someone did a mere 600 miles a year on the thing? I have six bikes, yet my season's mileage on the KLR will top five grand this season. I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. Machinery loves to be used and maintained correctly. Left to itself, it rusts.

Canuman screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 03:19 PM
Old 11-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #160
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post
@ausfahrt
Those lights are so cheap there is not really much of a beam pattern to speak of. I do leave them on all the time and have not had any angry drivers flashing lights at me. I do not run the high-beam HID during the day, mostly at night when I need a bit more light, it is really bright. The aux lights are also not very efficient and suck up a lot of power. I am looking to upgrade them to a more efficient LED that won't break the bank.
What is your bank? If you're a BMW driver (as am I) it may be a little bigger than some people's. BMW = "Bring My Wallet;" however, my K75 is not for sale, nor will it be in the foreseeable future.

I think I'll pull the trigger on some of the Trailtech lights before spring. I've not seen them personally, but I've seen other gear from Trailtech, and it seems to be built to a high standard. It would please me to be able to vary the intensity of my lights. The Denalis are great for daylight visibility, and also good on long, lonely roads after dark. However, punting around in traffic, they are too bright. If I'm looking for a marker that establishes a safety triangle, I think the lowest Trailtech setting would be fine. I've had my share of pissed-off high-beams with the Denalis. Love them at night through moose country, however.

Canuman screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 01:09 PM
Old 11-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #161
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
What is your bank? If you're a BMW driver (as am I) it may be a little bigger than some people's. BMW = "Bring My Wallet;" however, my K75 is not for sale, nor will it be in the foreseeable future.

I think I'll pull the trigger on some of the Trailtech lights before spring. I've not seen them personally, but I've seen other gear from Trailtech, and it seems to be built to a high standard. It would please me to be able to vary the intensity of my lights. The Denalis are great for daylight visibility, and also good on long, lonely roads after dark. However, punting around in traffic, they are too bright. If I'm looking for a marker that establishes a safety triangle, I think the lowest Trailtech setting would be fine. I've had my share of pissed-off high-beams with the Denalis. Love them at night through moose country, however.
Bust My Wallet indeed.

I paid over 300 bucks for the Motolights on the GS and I was hoping to spend a little less on the KLR. The Trailtechs do look nice. I'll have to let this stew a bit, I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks for the input fellas.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #162
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Bust My Wallet indeed.

I paid over 300 bucks for the Motolights on the GS and I was hoping to spend a little less on the KLR.
Steal the lights off the Beemer and the KLR will be sitting in high cotton. problem solved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well kinda.

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #163
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Electrical problem

My non-existant wrenching skills are only surpassed by my non-existant electrical skills so I'm going to turn to the wisdom of the collective for this one.

2004 KLR, the headlight is always on, regardless of what position the key is in the ignition. neutral and oil light only go on when the bike is off but the headlight is on regardless, even with the key out of the bike.

any thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers
Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #164
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
My non-existant wrenching skills are only surpassed by my non-existant electrical skills so I'm going to turn to the wisdom of the collective for this one.

2004 KLR, the headlight is always on, regardless of what position the key is in the ignition. neutral and oil light only go on when the bike is off but the headlight is on regardless, even with the key out of the bike.

any thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers
Try cleaning or spaying some contact cleaner in your key switch. Follow the wires back from your key switch looking for any loose wires, connections or cuts. I have a 2004 and the lights stay on always but not with the key out.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #165
TankCommander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Tires?????

What is the best/reasonably priced tires for the KLR? The OEM tires worked fine, but I want to know if there are better options out there for a fairly new dual sport rider. Weekdays I ride to work on the streets and weekends I am on the trails around Colorado Springs.
TankCommander is offline   Reply With Quote