Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,857
Brown Mountain

Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #152
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Trip to Madison County!

Got out of school and strapped down. I had a car free run up 226A. I got behind a slow truck on Windy Gap.

That was it for photos for Friday. I went down to Marshall for beer and a sandwich. Then I headed up toward Hot Springs.

Saturday morning

Nice scenery in these parts.

KTMike took us a twisty tour. I didn't see much of him as I was bringing up the rear.

We had an extended tour of Marshall looking for lunch.

After lunch, the pace quickened a little bit. We got a good clean run of 63. Super nice roads out there.

We were back at Rally HQ before 4. The temptation to go for a short spin before dinner wore off pretty quick.

Gumbeaux

I went down pretty early. After breakfast, knybanjo, robble, and I headed back to the Catawba Valley.

NC 197, do it every chance you get.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #153
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Layla headed out to the Cheoah super early on Saturday. She and her group were going to run the Cheoah and then head over to Clayton, GA to stay over at a motel for a run of the Tallulah on Sunday. Destination: Clayton.

I did a bunch of chores in the morning, so I had to make up a little time by blasting over 40, but only over to Old Fort.

The first real twisties of the trip was Bat Cave Road. NC 9 to US 64 to Slickrock to Grants Mountain to St Paul back to 64 and Hendersonville. I wended my way over to Pisgah Forest and Brevard.

NC 215, I do it every chace I get. I was having so much fun, I blew off the Charlies Creek turn and went all the way to the top.

Back down to Charlies Creek and then over Wolf Mountain to Horshoe Rock.

I went down 281 to Cullowhee and then over the hill to Ellijay Road.

Then I went up the Cullasaja Gorge to Highlands

and then down 28 to Warwoman Road.

The white road surface in Georgia is toppers.

Layla's and my arrival times were remarkably close. She and her friends had had a stomping day on the Cheoah. We went to Mama G's for delicious Italian and then called it a night.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #154
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Sunday we got up and hit breakfast. It didn't get so cold out, so I was itching to get going because I had a big agenda.

Things get interesting before you're really out of Clayton.

Blue Ridge Gap is a great road. I worked my way over to Plum Orchard and Popcorn.

The leaves are still really nice in this neck of the woods.

I had hoped to make a run up to Brasstown Bald, but I was in a squeeze for time. About 20 years ago, I used to run around this area with my Sabre. I wanted to see if the roads were as good as I remembered.

More white aggregate material. It's sparkly, too.

Make time for this highway. It's worth it.

I looped back into Clayton. It was 12:00. Boy, I'm late. I did another run over Warwoman and up 28. Then Horse Cove Road out of Highlands. Fun road! It's like it was made to be a Versys proving grounds.

Bull Pen road is awesome.

You could go kayaking or canoeing here, but it would take an act of the federal government.

I ran down 107 into South Carolina and then up to Whitewater Falls.

NC 281 goes right up there with the best of them. Then over Charlie Creek and up 215 to the Parkway. Then down 276 to Pisgah Forest.

I then slabbed it home and made it before dark. Layla called. One of her party had an unfortunate incident at The Thing and broke a rib and maybe punctured a lung. They had to go back into Tallulah Gorge to hump his boat out and then run his car to the hospital. No punctured lung, so he was being released. He's going to have a shiner from smacking his face off of the rock as well. Ouch! Heal quickly.

This trip put the point under the exclamation mark about the necessity to visit Rabun, Towns, White counties more frequently. Someday, I'll make it to Suches.

Thanks for looking!

Gaston Gagne screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 03:56 PM
Gaston Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #155
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Got out of work early today. It was still warm when we left, but we were freezing at the Parkway.

226A

Chestoa

Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #156
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

It was just barely over the freezing mark when I took off this morning, but it warmed up rather quickly.

I have been riding 226A so much lately that it's getting boring. Time for a change of pace.

I thought I recognized this fellow as I rolled by.

I made the appointment time. We took off over Grapevine, Big Laurel, Revere, and Lonesome Mountain.

The pace was brisk.

We worked our way up 208 and 212 and then went back into Big Laurel. We rode over the Old 23. I had never been on the old two lane on the Tennessee side. Cool road. I had never been on 19W back into Ramseytown either. Gotta go back and scout those falls on Spivey Creek.

I got us lost trying to get down to Barnardsville to go after the Appalachian tag.

After running around for a half hour, I decided to bag it and head into Burnsville for home. 80 --> Seven Mile Ridge --> Crabtree

Even though I am getting tired of riding 226A, I took it down into the valley and then around the back of Lake James.

Nice day. Thanks for the ride
Old 11-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #157
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #158
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

What to do with a 70 degree day in November? Today's trip involved three trips to Burnsville and four into Tennessee. I've been finding myself in Burnsville a lot lately. It's not a bad commute.

I found my way through Paint Fork to get to Mars Hill's Ingles more or less on time.

NC 197? Not again.

But first, a quick side trip. Note the slalom gates.

Back on it.

After lunch, we headed to Carver's Gap.

Had I excercised good judgement, I would have split from the group at this point. Instead, I was enticed by the description of the forthcoming ride.

We headed down into Roan Mtn, TN and then zigzagged across the NC/TN border several times. One of my hobbies is finding new ways to cross the line, and I added several today.

On the way to the Beauty Spot.

OK, now I really have to go. It's after 4, and I'm pretty far from home. Thanks for the awesome ride. It was an uneventful day, that is, full of unevents.

No more photos because I blasted home to optimize every bit of daylight. I got an end to end run of NC 80 from Loafer's Glory to Marion.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #159
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post

But first, a quick side trip. Note the slalom gates.

OK, now I really have to go. It's after 4, and I'm pretty far from home. Thanks for the awesome ride. It was an uneventful day, that is, full of unevents.
Quiet a long day for you...
Thanks for the pics!

I guess "somebody" got lucky that there was not barbwire between the gates
Old 11-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #160
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,112
Yes, very lucky! Liked the suggestion we should all give Moose money to buy us lottery tickets.

Really enjoyed ridin' with you yesterday Gaston. Amazing stuff in your thread, just read the whole thing, very nice!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #161
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
tell me about the BEAUTY SPOT. Many years ago on a kayak trip, we stumbled upon this place that the locals there called the 'beauty spot'. i have no idea where i was or how i got there...just that is was between asheville and ocoee.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #162
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

The beauty spot is on Beauty Spot Gap Road, aka FR230. It is near the Nolichucky. In fact, when I split from those guys, I went down the hill to the Nolichucky put-in. Very neat place.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #163
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
The beauty spot is on Beauty Spot Gap Road, aka FR230. It is near the Nolichucky. In fact, when I split from those guys, I went down the hill to the Nolichucky put-in. Very neat place.
How was the 197 going down? I heard it got chip-sealed a few month ago
Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #164
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

I wouldn't have known that it was chip sealed. It was fine, no loose gravel to speak of.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #165
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Sunday ride. The traction on Maple Sally Road was almost too good. No drifting, which is what I went out there for. It's still fun to keep it in a higher gear and rail it around turns though.

Over Schoolhouse and up Edgemont Road to Gragg. Lucky is layering back up. He worked up a sweat on Maple Sally.

There are several logging clearings in the area that offer really nice views. The birds and squirrels probably don't agree.

From here you can see how big Wilson Ridge is.

We had to jump over several blowdowns on Yancey Ridge.

We knocked out about 90 miles. I was cold when we got back to town.