ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #5251
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
How 'bout riding to Mexico City and retracing Bourdain's steps from his show?

While it's still safe, I mean.
Sounds fun; we would be on an official mission to sample great food and report on "safety issues."
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #5252
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 4,978
Mexico’s changing drug war

Shifting sands

The drug war’s fifth year throws up new trends, for better and worse

Nov 26th 2011 | CIUDAD JUÁREZ | from the print edition


FIVE years ago next week, Felipe Calderón took office as Mexico’s president and launched a crackdown against organised crime. Since then there has been a horrible predictability about the country’s drug war: each year the number of deaths has risen, most of them concentrated in a handful of cities. But this year both those tendencies look as if they have started to change. The annual death toll seems to have plateaued at around 12,000. Hotspots have cooled, only for violence to invade places previously considered safe.
Ciudad Juárez, in Chihuahua state and on the border with Texas, is the most striking example of this. For several years it has been the most dangerous place in Mexico and, by most counts, the world. A city of 1.3m, it saw more than 3,000 murders last year. Yet this year the number of mafia-related killings in Chihuahua has fallen by about a third, according to a tally by Reforma, a newspaper, as have kidnappings and car thefts. (The government has not released murder statistics in almost a year.) So far this year, Chihuahua state accounts for only around 15% of such murders in Mexico, down from a peak of 32%.


The turnaround is the fruit of better co-operation between the municipal, state and federal branches of government, according to Héctor Murguía, Juárez’s mayor. Such co-operation is not easy in Mexico, where policing is still divided between more than 2,000 separate forces, despite efforts by the federal government to pass a law to consolidate them. Mr Murguía is particularly proud of his new chief of police, Julian Leyzaola, hired from Tijuana, where he presided over a dramatic dip in the murder rate. Mr Leyzaola, a retired army officer, has detractors: on November 17th Baja California’s human-rights commission accused him of torturing detainees in Tijuana, an accusation he rejects.
Others are sceptical about the relevance of the government in reducing the violence in places such as Juárez and Tijuana. In both cities the powerful Sinaloa “cartel” has been pushing to displace incumbent gangs. The dip in violence suggests that it has at last beaten or reached an accommodation with its rivals, believes David Shirk, head of the Trans-Border Institute at the University of San Diego. The Tijuana mob has been all but wiped out. The head of La Línea, a rival of Sinaloa in Juárez, was arrested in July. Some of these busts may be thanks to rival cartels’ tip-offs. “The government is an instrument that contributes—but whose hand is on the instrument?” asks Mr Shirk. Whatever the cause, both cities now appear increasingly to be the Sinaloa mob’s turf: the army said that $15.3m in cash it seized in Tijuana this week belonged to them.
Though Sinaloa’s expansion may have slowed the violence in Juárez and Tijuana, elsewhere it has stirred it up (see map). Nuevo León, Mexico’s richest state after the capital, was once one of its safest. But Sinaloa’s attempts to dislodge the Zetas, their strongest rivals, from the state capital, Monterrey, have caused almost as many murders as in Chihuahua. Similarly, Sinaloa dispatched a group of “Zeta killers” to cause havoc in previously-quiet Veracruz over the summer. The Zetas have retaliated, sending gunmen to Sinaloa’s Pacific strongholds. Acapulco has already suffered; next may be Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city. It was protected by large numbers of federal police before and during the Pan American games. But the games finished on November 20th.
Predicting the traffickers’ next moves has become harder because many cartels have split into smaller groups. Based on a survey of messages left online and at the scenes of executions, Eduardo Guerrero, a Mexican academic, estimates that in 2007 there were 11 organised-crime groups active in Mexico, whereas in 2010 there were 114. Mr Murguía says that there could be ten different mobs operating in Juárez alone. Separating the big gangs from opportunistic youths is not always easy. Some teenagers are turning to amateurish extortion rackets because there are few other opportunities (see article). “The cry heard in Mexico is employment, employment, employment,” Mr Murguía says.
Juárez must now hold on to its gains with fewer police. Only 2,500 federal cops patrol, down from 5,000 in January. “We don’t know which side the municipal police will play for,” says Hugo Almada, of the University of Juárez. Some believe that the local force has links with the Juárez cartel. But the federal cops are not wholly clean either: several dozen have been arrested over the past year for crimes including kidnapping, extortion and murder. The year has shown that the world’s most dangerous city need not stay that way. Yet violence in places such as Nuevo León “suggests that what has happened in Juárez can happen anywhere in Mexico,” Mr Shirk says. Too soon to celebrate, then.


_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #5253
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,324
Interesting read, Cy. Thanks.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #5254
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's
 
Arte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: McAllen TX, MEXICO
Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Mexico’s changing drug war

Shifting sands

The drug war’s fifth year throws up new trends, for better and worse

Nov 26th 2011 | CIUDAD JUÁREZ | from the print edition


FIVE years ago next week, Felipe Calderón took office as Mexico’s president and launched a crackdown against organised crime. Since then there has been a horrible predictability about the country’s drug war: each year the number of deaths has risen, most of them concentrated in a handful of cities. But this year both those tendencies look as if they have started to change. The annual death toll seems to have plateaued at around 12,000. Hotspots have cooled, only for violence to invade places previously considered safe.
Ciudad Juárez, in Chihuahua state and on the border with Texas, is the most striking example of this. For several years it has been the most dangerous place in Mexico and, by most counts, the world. A city of 1.3m, it saw more than 3,000 murders last year. Yet this year the number of mafia-related killings in Chihuahua has fallen by about a third, according to a tally by Reforma, a newspaper, as have kidnappings and car thefts. (The government has not released murder statistics in almost a year.) So far this year, Chihuahua state accounts for only around 15% of such murders in Mexico, down from a peak of 32%.


The turnaround is the fruit of better co-operation between the municipal, state and federal branches of government, according to Héctor Murguía, Juárez’s mayor. Such co-operation is not easy in Mexico, where policing is still divided between more than 2,000 separate forces, despite efforts by the federal government to pass a law to consolidate them. Mr Murguía is particularly proud of his new chief of police, Julian Leyzaola, hired from Tijuana, where he presided over a dramatic dip in the murder rate. Mr Leyzaola, a retired army officer, has detractors: on November 17th Baja California’s human-rights commission accused him of torturing detainees in Tijuana, an accusation he rejects.
Others are sceptical about the relevance of the government in reducing the violence in places such as Juárez and Tijuana. In both cities the powerful Sinaloa “cartel” has been pushing to displace incumbent gangs. The dip in violence suggests that it has at last beaten or reached an accommodation with its rivals, believes David Shirk, head of the Trans-Border Institute at the University of San Diego. The Tijuana mob has been all but wiped out. The head of La Línea, a rival of Sinaloa in Juárez, was arrested in July. Some of these busts may be thanks to rival cartels’ tip-offs. “The government is an instrument that contributes—but whose hand is on the instrument?” asks Mr Shirk. Whatever the cause, both cities now appear increasingly to be the Sinaloa mob’s turf: the army said that $15.3m in cash it seized in Tijuana this week belonged to them.
Though Sinaloa’s expansion may have slowed the violence in Juárez and Tijuana, elsewhere it has stirred it up (see map). Nuevo León, Mexico’s richest state after the capital, was once one of its safest. But Sinaloa’s attempts to dislodge the Zetas, their strongest rivals, from the state capital, Monterrey, have caused almost as many murders as in Chihuahua. Similarly, Sinaloa dispatched a group of “Zeta killers” to cause havoc in previously-quiet Veracruz over the summer. The Zetas have retaliated, sending gunmen to Sinaloa’s Pacific strongholds. Acapulco has already suffered; next may be Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city. It was protected by large numbers of federal police before and during the Pan American games. But the games finished on November 20th.
Predicting the traffickers’ next moves has become harder because many cartels have split into smaller groups. Based on a survey of messages left online and at the scenes of executions, Eduardo Guerrero, a Mexican academic, estimates that in 2007 there were 11 organised-crime groups active in Mexico, whereas in 2010 there were 114. Mr Murguía says that there could be ten different mobs operating in Juárez alone. Separating the big gangs from opportunistic youths is not always easy. Some teenagers are turning to amateurish extortion rackets because there are few other opportunities (see article). “The cry heard in Mexico is employment, employment, employment,” Mr Murguía says.
Juárez must now hold on to its gains with fewer police. Only 2,500 federal cops patrol, down from 5,000 in January. “We don’t know which side the municipal police will play for,” says Hugo Almada, of the University of Juárez. Some believe that the local force has links with the Juárez cartel. But the federal cops are not wholly clean either: several dozen have been arrested over the past year for crimes including kidnapping, extortion and murder. The year has shown that the world’s most dangerous city need not stay that way. Yet violence in places such as Nuevo León “suggests that what has happened in Juárez can happen anywhere in Mexico,” Mr Shirk says. Too soon to celebrate, then.


I'll be safe !! I'll be riding to Guanajuato this christmas!!!!!! yeee haaa!!!
__________________

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #5255
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
I'll be safe !! I'll be riding to Guanajuato this christmas!!!!!! yeee haaa!!!

Note that murders in Tamaulipas are down 3% ...
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #5256
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
<< How 'bout riding to Mexico City and retracing Bourdain's steps from his show? >>

I will have to say that I never paid attention to Bourdain until this comment, but I have been watching him on the Travel Channel today and he's a hoot.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #5257
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
<< How 'bout riding to Mexico City and retracing Bourdain's steps from his show? >>

I will have to say that I never paid attention to Bourdain until this comment, but I have been watching him on the Travel Channel today and he's a hoot.
Well, he's a bit of a scoundrel. Right up your alley.

He did a TexMex border episode followed by a Mexico City episode which, IMO, is the better of the two. It's always fun to see some little taqueria on TV that you recognize from your own travels.

He also covered some of the Haute Cuisine of The City. Meh.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 11:24 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #5258
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,324
Gotta watch out for these down there.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #5259
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,557
Read today that a large number of gringos and canooks are migrating south to Michoacan, of all places.

clicky here for the reportage.


Seems that they're most afraid of Texas. Texas is even compared to hell in the article.


I can believe that....




mark883 screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 07:33 AM Reason: spellink
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #5260
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Well, he's a bit of a scoundrel. Right up your alley.

I noticed that. On his new show he casually commented that some of Singapore's best food happened to be found in one of their more notorious red light districts, so he made a number of jokes about the local working girls.

Was also hangin' with retired KGB spies on another episode.

A man to my heart.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
He did a TexMex border episode followed by a Mexico City episode which, IMO, is the better of the two. It's always fun to see some little taqueria on TV that you recognize from your own travels.

He also covered some of the Haute Cuisine of The City. Meh.

I need to catch that border episode.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #5261
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

Seems that they're most afraid of Texas. Texas is even compared to hell in the article.


I can believe that....

It's No Country For Old Men ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Coun..._Old_Men_(film)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #5262
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
.

Spent a good chunk of the morning downloading this, and I might add that it's excellent.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #5263
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,557
Bourdain is great and such, esp. his sense of humor, but its much more fun to go to Mexico and scout and tape your own episodes.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #5264
ChangoGS
Banned
 
ChangoGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: En la mesa del rincon en Metz France
Oddometer: 305
Damn !!!!! That video made me hungry.
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #5265
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,911
Damn, that video made my arteries hard...the Hayek/Guerrera videos and pics do kind of the same thing.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014