schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #227
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Thanks pix would be nice.

First of all, could you tap the aluminum triple clamp and put a steel bolt in there to act as a steering stop like KTM does?

Secondly, the loss of turning radius is a concern for me. I sometimes ride in some tight stuff and the stock KLR has a somewhat limited turning radius that I would rather expand on than loose.

It's also interesting you mention the difference in the geometry of the triple clamps because the rake and trail of the front end can have a critical impact on the handling of the bike, for better or worse. By placing the forks in a more vertical position it should speed up the handling at all speeds and could make it unstable at higher speeds; for example, like on the interstate.

This is also a major concern for me, because of my usage of the bike. Hmmm.......
Still working on the pics, gotta get a paper done for Russian History, so may take a bit.

I am thinking of doing the tap/bolt thing. I plan on getting it dirty and don't want a biff (which I am sure to do) to mess up anything. The guys doing the other work said they'd do it as a free-be.

The sweep is effected. To be honest though, I don't know if it is a "feeling" vs. an actual difference (reference the low speed turning) when pushing it about. I didn't get a chance this year to really put that many miles on it (family, school, etc.) so I am hesitant to really "hype" that up as a possible issue.

I was able to run it up on the road though. It tracks strait and smooth with no real issue. At an indicated 70mph (GPS said 65) it was stable. More so then when the stockers were in there. This could be due to the rear-shock replacement, the forks, or both. Heck, lack of wind could have been a factor. But that run was with camping gear piled up (high) in my Wolfman Alpha. And for full disclosure, the wobbles did appear with the old suspension bits with almost the same load. What does that mean? Not sure.

I'll add this, as I am not an expert, or evan a good novice, off road, with the improved suspension I believe a better rider (even if there is a loss in steering) could probably power it around obstacles a bit better as the bike is firmer and you won't loose any power by the suspension sinking (again, I know I am not using the right terms, I used to ride only street except for when I was a kid in the 70's) and wallowing around. The bike sits a bit taller (and I am 5'11" and can get my toes down easily) and just doesn't want to pogo (the little off roading I was able to do) like it used to.

Any help? Or not?

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #228
grasshopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Yes this is gearing.....a 16/42 gear ratio is more for highway and a 14/45 is more for off road riding.....the higher the front sprocket and lower rear will result in lower RPMs at lets say 6mph where a 14 front and a 45 rear will result in a high rpm at 60 mph.
So, you need to make the decission on how you plan to ride your bike the most......terrain wise that is, highway or dirt and pick a ratio to suit your riding. Those gears are close to the far ends of the scales.....remember 15/43 is a stock gearing. Just going down or up one number on the front sprocket will raise or lower your RPMs by 500rpms....

Hope this helps...now it's as clear as mud!
Ok, that's very useful. I ride about 70% around town/low-speed commuting, 10% day trips at 45-60 MPH, and 20% mild off road use. No highways for me

In that case, would you all recommend sticking with the stock gearing? Something like 15/45? My only complaint with it currently is that it has a lot less "pick up" than an older KLR I had (which must have had different gearing).
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #229
rustbucket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedwaterskier View Post
43/16 is great for the fwy...though you claim only 250ish rpm saving it sure seems like a huge difference when you are riding at 80+mph...that 250ish rpm savings with the inertia of a big heavy LINCOLN 460-like piston...it could save your engine if you are on the fwy for a couple of hours.

I am thinking of going to 42/15 or 41/15 so as not to kill dirt capability but to also cruise on the fwy
It's much cheaper to swap the countershaft sprocket, rather than the rear sprocket. They're only ~$15, so I'd recommend picking up a 14 to see how you like it. You can always go back to stock, no harm done...
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #230
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
It's much cheaper to swap the countershaft sprocket, rather than the rear sprocket. They're only ~$15, so I'd recommend picking up a 14 to see how you like it. You can always go back to stock, no harm done...
One of these would be an awfully good investment at the same time:

http://www.eaglemike.com/Prevailaing-torque-nut-PTN.htm
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #231
grasshopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. My rear sprocket is shot so I have to replace it anyway, so I figured I'd investigate the possibility of changing my gearing. Anyone have a sizing (front and rear) recommendation for me? I do mostly around-town commuting and some mild off road, and no interstates.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #232
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
If you are replacing both sprockets and ride at the lower end of the scale speed wise, I would guess you would love a 14/45 gearing set! It will wake that bike right up.....but it will reduce your cruising nicely RPM wise so to speak. Possibly 700RPMs(don't quote me on this for christ's sake!!!) But it will make that front wheel very light in comparisn to what it is now! You could always go back to a 15/45 if you really didn't like it.

Hope this helps.....I once wanted to see what a real stump puller felt like....14/47....all I can say is WOW!!! It lasted a month as I ride mostly on the street and I don't like hearing my engine sing or should I say scream!!! At 70mph! If you stayed closer to the 50mph mark then it would've been fine.....
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #233
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloriumcamper View Post
Thanks. My rear sprocket is shot so I have to replace it anyway, so I figured I'd investigate the possibility of changing my gearing. Anyone have a sizing (front and rear) recommendation for me? I do mostly around-town commuting and some mild off road, and no interstates.
15/43 - pretty spot on. Kawi did something right here. Chain wear with the stock 106 link chain is about as ideal as possible with this setup.

14/43- makes the bike a lot more rideable off-road and still gives you a 65 mph cruise (or higher if you don't have an oil-sipper). You will very rarely lug the engine with this combo, which is good.

I have thought about putting a 45 on the rear and switching between a 14 and 15 on the front depending on use. 14/45 would be great for off-road, 15/45 is just a touch lower than stock. I believe, but please correct me if wrong, that a 15/45 setup will still work with a 106 link chain.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #234
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloriumcamper View Post
Ok, that's very useful. I ride about 70% around town/low-speed commuting, 10% day trips at 45-60 MPH, and 20% mild off road use. No highways for me

In that case, would you all recommend sticking with the stock gearing? Something like 15/45? My only complaint with it currently is that it has a lot less "pick up" than an older KLR I had (which must have had different gearing).
14/43 works great for what you describe, and changing the front sprocket is a lot less involved than changing the rear...
You can use the stock length chain and you don't have to yank the rear wheel.

I really like the 14 tooth off road for sand, puts the sweet spot for rpms at the right speed for me.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #235
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

[IMG][/IMG]

Crapy iphone pic, but that is (on its' side stand) the furthest it turns left.

[IMG][/IMG]

This one may show the divots or dings in the lower triple I was referring to.

Go You Spurs!!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #236
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Holy great big photo's batman!

Sorry guys. I used Photobucket, and I are a computer moron.

Off to do something I know a little bit about.

Writing a 10 page term-paper in one night. Russian Polish Relations during the 19th Century anyone?

edit; I'll probably use the divots as my pilot hole to put in the metal screws/bolts. Drill a small pilot then use a self tapping bolt? Just a big enough head to act as a stop? What says the experts?

Go You Spurs!!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #237
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,445
Can we get a thread title change?
"Got a question about KLRs? Stop reading and post it here!"

In all seriousness- unless someone steps up to provide a group of themed/topical/organized threads, this is just gonna continue to degrade into a real-time Q and A on whatever topic strikes a noobly fancy. I'm already getting burned out on this.

The reason you can and won't find the answers to your perpetual questions is because there is no KLR thread organization on ADV. Now we supposedly have an "all things KLR thread", but it's just a more recent, ill-informed conglomerate of KLR Pics, KLR Mods, and KLR Stories in one big disorganized mess.

I apologize that I'm one of the naysayers. I feel like I have learned a lot about my ride in +70k miles, but offering the same solutions and suggestions over and over becomes pointless. I know for a fact that there are plenty of riders on ADV that are wealths of KLR tech info, yet they are burned out too. That's why if I have a KLR question, I typically don't come to ADV.

I'll guarantee higher participation from KLR gurus if the day ever comes when KLR info is searchable and useful on ADV.
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #238
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

The problem with that idea is, no-one is talking KLRs in general. We seem to try and ask questions in other threads and get flamed for riding KLRs.
Yes it does get a bit tiresome to answer the same question over and over, but at least we have our own thread now without others bashing us at evry turn. For the young age of this thread it is getting enough attention to give me hope that one day we will have the threads you are asking for. We just need to get more people here and asking questions to start with IMHO. Then get into a more diverse thread option package so to speak. I'm willing to deal with it the way it is to help get our KLR related issues answered and to get more of us talking.
It seems that many are looking for a new home and I want to see if that happens, this will be a good place to call home.
I would like to get a complete section for all KLR related issues but that won't happen as it sits so far, so this is the best we can get to start with.
I'm sure you can put up with a few repeat questions from noobs for a while, remember we all were noobs at some time and looked to others for direction.
Yes there are many KLR solely forums and sites, but many seem to find them hard to life with for one reason or the other...?
This site has the best Ride and trip reports bar none so IMHO, it makes perfect sence for the KLR crowd to find this a new place to call home, we are the cheapman's adventure tourer after all.....because we certainly aren't dirt bikes....lol But many still think we are and to each their won.

So, please be patient......thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #239
grasshopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Gearing advice

Thank you kindly, all you guys who gave me advice regarding gearing ratios. This has been a huge help, and more importantly the only help I've been able to get. My resources are very limited, being a young guy and a noob with few riding buddies...and a tight budget. I realize that responding to questions like mine can be cumbersome for you folks who have been here a long time, but I want to reiterate my appreciation of this favor--I don't take it for granted. Cheers
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #240
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Glad I could help....if you have any other problems, please ask.....that's why we're here.