Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #5266
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Damn, that video made my arteries hard...the Hayek/Guerrera videos and pics do kind of the same thing.

Way too much detail.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #5267
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Way too much detail.
We have his video:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #5268
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 367
Hi Guys,

This thread is nearly overwhelming to read, when I first began it had around 3500 posts and now it's nearly double that. It's been a great read so far and as much as I'd like to read it entirely I don't seem to have enough time, I'm still more than a year behind. (Page 135) Until now I've resisted the temptation to skip ahead but it seems I must if I am ever to catch up. I feel as though I know a number of you personally due to your frequent postings and for that I want to extend a special thank you, the information you've provided has been great.

My original intent was and still is to use it to develop a better sense of what to expect when I ride south next year. Most of my questions and reservations have been addressed by the various postings for which I am grateful. The best thing I've come to realize is it's not really dangerous to ride in Mexico and that was something that was weighing on my mind. There are still a lot of things I have to come to terms with; which bike to ride, where to head on this ride, will my total lack of language skills be an issue, will riding alone create any unneccesary risks, that sort of thing. Plus I'm 71 and although I'm in good health I'm not as physically strong as I used to be. I'm not truly concerned about any of these things, they're just items on my check list that I need to quantify. As has been said over and over, it's all about risk management and I'm usually pretty good at that. Usually.

I think I'll drop back a couple of months and begin reading at that point; hope I won't miss anything too critical but if anyone has any comments let me know.

Gracias!

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #5269
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,046
LL75

A suggestion on the language skills. Get Rosetta Stone for Latin American Spanish and try to commit an hour a day to it. I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll pick up.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #5270
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

There's nothing to be gained from reading more than the last three months and that might be pushing it.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #5271
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,082
Larry,

If I make it to 71 I hope to be like you. You're interest and curiosity should richly reward you in Mexico.

Look forward to hearing more about your plans for riding Mexico.

Schizz

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #5272
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Hi Guys,
This thread is nearly overwhelming to read, when I first began it had around 3500 posts and now it's nearly double that. It's been a great read so far and as much as I'd like to read it entirely I don't seem to have enough time, I'm still more than a year behind. (Page 135) Until now I've resisted the temptation to skip ahead but it seems I must if I am ever to catch up... LL75

You sir, deserve some kind of award. Wow!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #5273
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Just remember to address all officials, cops and military with an honorific term such as "Senor Cabron" and you will have an interesting trip.
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #5274
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Tdoay... it was very safe to be @ Batopilas

El presidente de República, Felipe Calderón, visita hoy la comunidad de Guachichi y Batopilas

Bato screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 10:14 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #5275
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
A suggestion on the language skills. Get Rosetta Stone for Latin American Spanish and try to commit an hour a day to it. I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll pick up.
Does anyone have first hand experience to compare Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur? I'm about 25 lessons in to the Pimsleur beginning level, and have made gains in my language skills. However, I've come to realize that it will be elusive to become fluent without actually living in a Spanish speaking location. Eventually I might have adequate language skills. No matter what, I am enjoying the language learning journey.

Larry75: Glad to hear of your travel plans. I'm only 62, and making a second trip south of the border in February. What a great place to travel!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #5276
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Does anyone have first hand experience to compare Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur?
Your answer HERE
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #5277
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I agree with Tricepilot. There isn't one way to learn language. I am a visual learner, so Rosetta Stone has been useful. However, there is no substitute for being there and hearing the dialects and accents in a particular locale. That helps it all come together and make sense.
See if you can find a native spanish speaker where you live and work out some kind of a learning deal. Combine that with a commercial product like Rosetta Stone or whatever is helpful,
Learn situational terms and phrases.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #5278
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 367
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions on learning to speak Spanish. When I was stationed in Japan in the late fifties I lived off base most of the time, sometimes with my on-again off-again josan, sometimes not. I think that might qualify as an immersion type situation and I was able to aquire a rudimentary base of survival Japanese, enough so that I became the designated speaker when our group ordered food, cabs, train tickets, etc. Oddly enough most of the phrases and words are still with me today although they're begining to fog up a bit. It was when I left Japan and headed for home that I finally picked up a Japanese-English dictionary, more out of curiousity to see what I'd been missing. Most informative.

Where I live there aren't many Spanish speaking folks, just a few who run the two Mexican restaurants and I'm a bit uncertain how receptive they might be when it comes to teaching or more properly, tutoring. They're hard workers in what they do and may not feel like getting involved in something like this. Might be worth a try though, worst thing that might happen is I could pick up some really interesting phrases. Like addressing all military and police officials as "Senor Cabron". I think I'll have a look at the Rosetta Stone course to begin with and see how that goes, it would be easy for me to spend an hour a day with it and who knows, I just might learn something.

Tricepilot thanks for the post comparing the three methods of learning, you spelled things out clearly enough to the point even I could grasp the differences. I admit I had to look up "modality" though. Hellluva word.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #5279
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Tricepilot thanks for the post comparing the three methods of learning, you spelled things out clearly enough to the point even I could grasp the differences. I admit I had to look up "modality" though. Hellluva word.
Here is another word in that club:

Panacea

Most people think that plunking down $$ for a language "kit" is going to really help them learn. At best, you'll be adding one or two hundred more vocabulary words to an already small list. There is no one single language learning product on the planet that is a panacea for your goal of becoming even partially fluent, or even partially "travel fluent". So even if you give Rosetta Stone a go for all its worth, don't expect to turn around and be giving speeches at the zocalo.

If you have the desire, you will have the persistence to keep at it on many fronts and this persistence is what will move your skills along. It's been stated before, but trying to learn any language without prior knowledge of its basic grammar rules can actually hurt your progress. Ergo, for Spanish, I recommend Spanish Grammar for Independent Learners, Second Edition. Available on Amazon.com and elsewhere.

Suerte
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #5280
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I agree with Tricepilot. There isn't one way to learn language. I am a visual learner, so Rosetta Stone has been useful. However, there is no substitute for being there and hearing the dialects and accents in a particular locale. That helps it all come together and make sense.
See if you can find a native spanish speaker where you live and work out some kind of a learning deal. Combine that with a commercial product like Rosetta Stone or whatever is helpful,
Learn situational terms and phrases.
I tried learning spanish many times. First was in high school for 2 years, next was in college for 1 year, and my last attempt was for 2 months in a focused learning environment before heading to Honduras. It wasn't until I got to Honduras that things clicked and made sense. All those attempts at using the books just didn't work for me. Once I was there, I learned enough to get around rather quickly. After that I began to polish it. I had all the books and started to refer to them later on. They are good for vocabulary (sometimes), and grammar rules. It was the immersion that I needed. The books came in real nice when I was able to begin listening to folks and picking up certain phrases or conjugations that didn't make sense. I could look them up, learn them, and then start using them.

Another key, is to use what you learn. It doesn't do any good to learn something and put it on the shelf and never use it. Use it as soon as you learn it, and it will help to remain with you.