Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Yea it happens but not much around here.

As for optimistic speedos, they just plain SUCK. There isn't a lot you can do, other than duck tape a cheap GPS to your dash. And USUALLY the odometers are not inaccurate just the speedo, but not ALWAYS sometimes they's optimistic as well.

One easy fix is this here:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers

Cheap fix you'll need to by some kinda antina or somin but thats an easy accurate speedo. Theres other speedos availible as well. If its an anolog hire a guy that knows math or sometin and you can recalibrate the speedo numbers to what they actually are.

BTW those signs are often inaccurate. Sometimes they don't go gettin no calibrated, espically that there one on them poles they don't go calibrated them often the trailor one is usually accurate but not always but usually. I know one in my town on a pole its been WAY off for years it reads at least 10 MPH lower or so.
There are also Speedohealers, which let you recalibrate your speedometer more easily, and non-GPS aftermarket options like the TrailTech Vapor (which I replaced my stock gauges with)... or just a bicycle speedometer. They function based on counting wheel rotations (with magnets) and wheel circumference.

I trust my Vapor more than I'd just a consumer GPS, especially in Seattle... where a GPS connection can be ruined by heavy cloud cover and tall buildings.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
The one I referred to in my post, above, was one of the trailer ones. My Guzzi's speedo agreed with the sign, and my car's speedo was about 2% optimistic, which is also is, as compared with my GPS.

Yea usually their pretty accurate on trailers cause they get calibrated more and don't get forgotted so much.

Strange that your speedos off more than the usual 250 though.

seraph yea but for a lazy ass like me I don't like calibrating those things, its pretty simple but I ain't no good at no math. Even my motorized bicycle I had a speedo on it and it sure was not never accurate! Always followed them directions but its too much work for me!

But yea those work well too a little pricy but worth it if its 10% and over optimistic.

Only advantage is less tickets!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
A buddy of mine, who rides a '66 Bajaj Chetak (Vespa VBB clone), almost had the whole goddamn book thrown at him by a jerk cop a couple weeks ago. He only got ticketed for the speeding, though.

The claims were:
-65 in a 35
-Illegal lack of turnsignals
-Illegal lack of mirrors
-Incorrect use of collector's vehicle plate (technically, only allowed for riding to and from shows/events)
-Incorrect plate for vehicle
-Possibly illegally imported vehicle

Now, a couple of these are ridiculous. The cop said he followed my buddy from the Interstate onto a surface street, though my buddy had not been on the Interstate. His scooter cannot do 65 - even though it's kitted, it's really only capable of about 55 (thus why he wasn't on the Interstate!). It's all in the gearing. Turn signals were never equipped on this vehicle. And neither were mirrors. Bajaj didn't come up as a make in the officer's ticket system, and he had never heard of it, so he threatened that the vehicle may not even be legal.

The Collector's Vehicle plate, available in WA with permanent registration (no annual tabs) for vehicles 25+ years old, is technically only issued for vehicles which will only be driven to and from shows and events. In practice, though, this is not enforced, and there are a ton of older bikes and cars with these plates on the road every day. The cop did turn out to be correct about the plate being wrong for the vehicle, which he didn't ticket for, and my friend fixed that.

I know most scooterists aren't riding always-works-in-progress vintage Indian clones of Italian scooters and won't have to worry about all of this. But I think it certainly serves as an informative horror story... some cops really notice scooters. And don't know all the laws. And are jerks.
I would fight it. Never like the cops in wa they always give out tickets. I think wa made the list for one of the top places for speed traps etc. I ve got tickets there. but just paid because it would have cost more to go to fight it then not. The highway patrol always at night weaves in and out of the trafic looking for rigs doing more then 3 miles per hour above the limbet just to bust.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
What's worse isn't so much getting pulled over for an offense, it's getting pulled over and being asked

"what is it?"
"where'd ya get it?"
"how much does one of those go for"
"you gotta have a license for that?"
"how fast can it go?"
"really it's a 250cc?"
"how far can you go?"
"how much gas does it carry?"
"What's the MPG?"
"Must save a lot on gas, huh?"
"where can I buy one of those?"

not that I don't mind answering questions about it, but when I have a 25 minute ride to work and 30 minutes to get there, sort of p's me off to no end, as if I got a ticket at least I would have proof of why I was late showing up at work.
plus now the new policy for being late is dock it from your vacation time, not let you stay the 15 or 20 minutes later in the evening to make it up.
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
I've been pulled over twice on my 400 Burgman. Stop sign violation and speeding,69mph in a 55mph zone, let off with a warning both times.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sportsman Matt that sucks! Sounds like a rather dumb policy to me. Yea shit when I didn't even have no license yet on my Elite 150 I went through a checkpoint one time and the cops let me go cause I sayed you don't need no license for these things! Some know the law many don't however.

emmettken wow your lucky they let you off warning for 69 in a 55. I hate it when they actually inforce a 55 MPH speed limit! Thats SO slow! If you actually want to go somewhere its WAY to slow.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I would fight it. Never like the cops in wa they always give out tickets. I think wa made the list for one of the top places for speed traps etc. I ve got tickets there. but just paid because it would have cost more to go to fight it then not. The highway patrol always at night weaves in and out of the trafic looking for rigs doing more then 3 miles per hour above the limbet just to bust.
Oh, yeah, he's fighting it. He called upon the local scooter community for help and got copies of owner's manuals that say his scooter's top speed is something like 47mph (the ticket actually said "50+")

I don't think he's had his court date yet, though.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #23
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
Oh, yeah, he's fighting it. He called upon the local scooter community for help and got copies of owner's manuals that say his scooter's top speed is something like 47mph (the ticket actually said "50+")

I don't think he's had his court date yet, though.
I don't think that would hold up in court though... My Helix has a manufacturer-stated top speed of 72mph, but I've had it up to 78mph (just keeping up with traffic on the highway).
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #24
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
I don't think that would hold up in court though... My Helix has a manufacturer-stated top speed of 72mph, but I've had it up to 78mph (just keeping up with traffic on the highway).
Indicated or GPS? Sometimes there's a big difference.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Indicated or GPS? Sometimes there's a big difference.
GPS and speedo (speedo actually read about 79)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #26
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yea plus a tailwind and hills can give you a boost too, aside from mods.

Kinda sucks though.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #27
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Quote:
Yea plus a tailwind and hills can give you a boost too, aside from mods.

Kinda sucks though.
Yeah, but don't all those extra mirrors, lights, and heavy designer coats slow you down?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, but don't all those extra mirrors, lights, and heavy designer coats slow you down?

What do you mean?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #29
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
What do you mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(subculture)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #30
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post

You's talked about them there with all them mirrors and lights like the mod scooters?

I was thinkin of regular scoots those don't got no real significient effict on speed, I mean some can have soe drag I guess.