Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #241
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer40 View Post

Thanks--will give buchananspokes a call. Tried woodyswheelworks but never get a pick up on phone. Will reengage--price probably outrageous but won't know til I ask. As for Tubeliss; jury is out (for me). Read other RRs were it didn't work due to imporper installation at home base or on the road. Margin for error seems high...for me.
Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #242
Aces 6
WTFO

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
The problem with that idea is, no-one is talking KLRs in general. We seem to try and ask questions in other threads and get flamed for riding KLRs.
Yes it does get a bit tiresome to answer the same question over and over, but at least we have our own thread now without others bashing us at evry turn. For the young age of this thread it is getting enough attention to give me hope that one day we will have the threads you are asking for. We just need to get more people here and asking questions to start with IMHO. Then get into a more diverse thread option package so to speak. I'm willing to deal with it the way it is to help get our KLR related issues answered and to get more of us talking.
It seems that many are looking for a new home and I want to see if that happens, this will be a good place to call home.
I would like to get a complete section for all KLR related issues but that won't happen as it sits so far, so this is the best we can get to start with.
I'm sure you can put up with a few repeat questions from noobs for a while, remember we all were noobs at some time and looked to others for direction.
Yes there are many KLR solely forums and sites, but many seem to find them hard to life with for one reason or the other...?
This site has the best Ride and trip reports bar none so IMHO, it makes perfect sence for the KLR crowd to find this a new place to call home, we are the cheapman's adventure tourer after all.....because we certainly aren't dirt bikes....lol But many still think we are and to each their won.

So, please be patient......thanks
Concur...if you know it already just scan; can always pick up a nugget here or there.Nice to have KLR centric dialogue.
Aces 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #243
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Can we get a thread title change?
"Got a question about KLRs? Stop reading and post it here!"

In all seriousness- unless someone steps up to provide a group of themed/topical/organized threads, this is just gonna continue to degrade into a real-time Q and A on whatever topic strikes a noobly fancy. I'm already getting burned out on this.

The reason you can and won't find the answers to your perpetual questions is because there is no KLR thread organization on ADV. Now we supposedly have an "all things KLR thread", but it's just a more recent, ill-informed conglomerate of KLR Pics, KLR Mods, and KLR Stories in one big disorganized mess.

I apologize that I'm one of the naysayers. I feel like I have learned a lot about my ride in +70k miles, but offering the same solutions and suggestions over and over becomes pointless. I know for a fact that there are plenty of riders on ADV that are wealths of KLR tech info, yet they are burned out too. That's why if I have a KLR question, I typically don't come to ADV.

I'll guarantee higher participation from KLR gurus if the day ever comes when KLR info is searchable and useful on ADV.

I don't see the disadvantage of a real-time Q and A. I also, having been a college Perfesser, don't see any disadvantage to teaching some of the same stuff over and over. Let's face it, that's what education is all about -- bringing new people in. The motorcycle world is continually changing, and new tech arrives all the time, even in our little KLR world. There are some excellent KLR sites out there, but the reason I frequent ADV is the volume of opinions, and the number of inmates who are out riding. It's a sorting process. Some of the info is BS. Some of the inmates are hostile trolls, but fewer than on most other sites I've been on.

The search engines on most forums stink, and I'm sure that the mods have neither the strength nor the inclination to improve them.

Most of the inmates are folks you'd like to take a tour with. That's why I hang here. Also, over 90% of the time, when one asks a serious question, one gets considered answers. The answers may not always contain the best or most accurate information, but they work. It's not perfect, but we're not either.

Lighten up, Francis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllC...eature=related
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #244
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Look what i saw on the Economist website today
http://www.economist.com/blogs/ameri...onetary-policy
Attached Images

nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #245
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Holy great big photo's batman!

Sorry guys. I used Photobucket, and I are a computer moron.

Off to do something I know a little bit about.

Writing a 10 page term-paper in one night. Russian Polish Relations during the 19th Century anyone?

edit; I'll probably use the divots as my pilot hole to put in the metal screws/bolts. Drill a small pilot then use a self tapping bolt? Just a big enough head to act as a stop? What says the experts?
Ahh, Russian Polish relations..... Reminds me of my college daze in the 1970's. I had to take a class on Russia (USSR) to get my degree. I wasn't so bad, actually it was quite interesting. My prof was a former military intel guy (WWII vet) who studied the USSR, making clandestine visits there in the 50's and 60's. Anyway, I digress.

I would do it like KTM does. Drill the hole, tap it, then use a stainless steel bolt with lock nut, so you can adjust the travel of the forks.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #246
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Holy great big photo's batman!

Sorry guys. I used Photobucket, and I are a computer moron.

Off to do something I know a little bit about.

Writing a 10 page term-paper in one night. Russian Polish Relations during the 19th Century anyone?

edit; I'll probably use the divots as my pilot hole to put in the metal screws/bolts. Drill a small pilot then use a self tapping bolt? Just a big enough head to act as a stop? What says the experts?
I personally wouldnt use a self-tapping bolt for your fork stop. It would probably work but Iam not sure I would want to" force" a self tapping bolt thru anything Alum. Drilling and tapping it would be the way to do it, with the use of a little Blue Locktite.On another note I can see Dirty Dogs thinking but I also agree with willys idea. It is difficult to keep a information thread going, people that are new to the KLR or bikes in general are usually just searching for info about the bike or how to do something to it. I very seldom take anyones responce as the right way to do something, I usually will read all I can on the subject then decide on how to actually do a repair or service. Not answering a persons question or flaming them because the question has probaly been asked a million times, just goes against the whole idea behind ADVrider IMO. Sorry for the long winded responce, too much coffee this morning. *EDIY* Ha Ha after typing this I see that canuman and Kawidad pretty much said what I was trying to.

WRC51 screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 07:25 AM
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #247
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
I also advise against self-tapping screws for this application . . . . they likely won't work, and may wind up breaking off inside the tree, giving you a project you didn't want in the first place . . .

Self-tappers are fine with sheet metal, not so fine for stuff like this.

Don't ask me how I know.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #248
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Look what i saw on the Economist website today
http://www.economist.com/blogs/ameri...onetary-policy

I wonder how Venezuela is keeping their oil filter covers from weeping...

All kidding aside, that's a cool pic.

I can see why they use these bikes (now that I've had one for a few months)...anvil reliabilty. I'm enjoying the hell outta' mine, and am starting to remember why I've always loved Japanese motorcycles so much.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #249
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Hey JJ
Is the KLR scratching your SE itch?
Did you get it sold?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #250
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
KLR650 Only Thread......

Will be doing doohickey on my replacement engine next week. Doohickey pros and people needing their doohickeys done are welcome.

I bothered getting the expanded list of all the tools together. So, someone else might as well benefit.

Northridge, CA

Jeffrey
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #251
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

KLR650 Only Thread......

oh...also have a spare blown engine for odd parts
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #252
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Hey JJ
Is the KLR scratching your SE itch?
Did you get it sold?

BIGDON!...Whaddup?!?

The SE is GONE...and the new owner has posted that he is riding the hell outta' it (which makes me very happy for him). I guess I was the guy who had the good fortune of goin' through all the "growing pains".

The KLR will NEVER be an SE. But, that is the ONLY downside.

The KLR is scratching all of the itches that the SE would never, EVER be able to reach...dependability, reliability, ease of maintenance, and (most of all) TRUST.

It takes me to work, everyday, with no hassles (which is HUGE). It transports me to the Texas Hill Country, and beyond (without that little fear in the back of my mind that it will leave me stranded). That is also huge for me, as I (sometimes) find myself in locales where I don't see another human being, or vehicle, for two hours (and come-across alot of dead animal carcasses, along the way).

I know it's issues (weeping oil filter cover and oil usage), and don't have to spend hours (and, sometimes, days) having to hunt for them. If I need to work on it, I don't have to remove the engine/fuel tank/etc. to do so.

The KLR is my (current) "magic carpet", that is...slowly...transporting me back to my love of motorcycles (that almost drowned in sea of Orange)...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #253
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer

KLR650 Only Thread......

I have an extra oil filter cover cheap if you want it
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #254
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
JJ, that's good to know. I started with a KLR back in 05. I have always liked it but have been tasting different KoolAid along the way. Many dual Sports have come and gone but I have never sold the old KLR . I am back to it now and am real happy with it in it's nitch. I have a WR 250 R for the really rough stuff and an 1150 GS Adventure for the longer high speed stuff. The KLR fits for all the stuff in between.

I have to admit, I'm wanting to try the Orange Koolaid in a 990 Adventure, and may some day but my 03 KLR has a home here!

2006 on Pandale Rd. @ Pecos River

Last Week @ Chinati Hot Springs!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!

bigdon screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 12:56 PM
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #255
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Bolted on the Happy Trails radiator protector, engine guard, and skid plate today on my '07. I am impressed with the quality. It's as close to a drop-in install as any aftermarket kit I've seen. Absolutely no clearance issues with the shifter or the center stand. The farkle fest continues -- pics tomorrow.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote