ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #12796
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Gun Question for you Richmonders

Sorry, not MC-related. I'll return you to that in a sec.

If I understand federal firearms laws correctly, I am allowed to sell a pistol in my current state without using a dealer with a license. Correct?

And if so, does anyone know of a person, place, or establishment ... in or near our fair State Capital Region ... that would give me a decent price for a Ruger P90? (.45acp, older, but in great shape. Maybe 1000 rounds through it. Hasn't been fired in years. Pachmyer grips, case, extra clip, yadda yadda.)

I don't need it and it's just collecting dust. But I have no idea how to sell this without taking a beating.

Thanks!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #12797
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Sorry, not MC-related. I'll return you to that in a sec.

If I understand federal firearms laws correctly, I am allowed to sell a pistol in my current state without using a dealer with a license. Correct?

And if so, does anyone know of a person, place, or establishment ... in or near our fair State Capital Region ... that would give me a decent price for a Ruger P90? (.45acp, older, but in great shape. Maybe 1000 rounds through it. Hasn't been fired in years. Pachmyer grips, case, extra clip, yadda yadda.)

I don't need it and it's just collecting dust. But I have no idea how to sell this without taking a beating.

Thanks!
How much were you looking to get? I have a friend who likes those sorts of things...
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #12798
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
How much were you looking to get? I have a friend who likes those sorts of things...
Ditto what Skippii said, but please PM me with some pix.

And yes, you are correct - however - it's best draw up a bill of sale that is signed by the buyer to minimize any issues down the road.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #12799
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,335
vaguntrader.com
Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #12800
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 847
Guy and Skippii -- probably looking to get $350. And I'll even toss in a few rounds I won't have use for anymore. (Last of the 45s). I'll take some pics and PM ya tomorrow.

And manganos, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #12801
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Guy and Skippii -- probably looking to get $350. And I'll even toss in a few rounds I won't have use for anymore. (Last of the 45s). I'll take some pics and PM ya tomorrow.

And manganos, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
My friend says he's not interested.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #12802
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
I grew up hunting deer in the mountians and fields of the Blue Ridge. I've taken a big 8 pointer and a decent 7 and a doe and our farm in Hungry Mother Va this season. I like the quiet of a mountian hunt.

I moved out here to Central VA and soon learned about hunting deer with dogs. I was informed that this is the old plantation way, the best way to move deer in a swamp and in thick timber. It's a more social way to hunt deer, not the quiet solo way I grew to love at home.

I don't defend ungentlemanly behavior. I can't speak for the clubs that run dogs.

Now having said that. I have had to learn deal with the type of hunting that comes with dogs chasing deer. Clubs run dogs across the private land that I hunt in Amelia or dogs gradually get to where I hunt. Saturdays in Amelia start out quiet and I enjoy dawn and the start of a day of being alone afield or maybe with my son. Later in the morning, dogs in the distance gradually draw closer or they don't. You never know. However, if they make it to this private property, the walker hounds especially, MOVE deer. It gets exciting, and often the deer are running hard in very thick cover. I can't say that it is my favorite, it's not. But it is fun, the dogs are loud, and deer bust out of heavy cover that is difficult to access. It is not the easiest thing in the world to bring down a running buck with a good shot. It takes skill and good markmanship. It's very sporting to me.

I don't want to be sociable when I hunt, I prefer to be alone. However, let freedom ring. Do what you want. The same people that want to shut down dirt biking and trail riding want to shut down deer hunting too. More or less. Sorry about the truck. I'd be pissed too.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 06:30 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #12803
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by

Day 1: Non-stop Richmond to Key West
Day 2: Enjoy Key West, rest, eat and watch the weirdos and tourists on Duvall St.
Day 3 & 4: Ride home.
Ideas? Any experienced IBA riders out there?

[URL="http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1"
[/URL]

Eddy,

I have done a couple IBA rides and can tell you from first hand experience Key West is not a good idea. The problem with that trip is if your headed south the last 2-3hrs is on very congested tourist packed roads often late at night.

My first IBA ride was from RIC to Holton Maine on the Canadian border, which was a great ride. My next rip was key west north to RIC and I thought I was going to die by the time I got home. That morning in Key West it was 75 and clear, by the time I reach the 1k mark it was 23 and sleeting == not fun.

Niceview and I did 1k in 24hrs once by accident and it that was super easy, think about this plan. Leave RIC at 3pm and ride till midnight then bunk out until 6-7am then ride back and as long as your back by 3pm your set. This is by far the easiest way to do it.

Also some other advice: read about these rides as much as you can before you set off, the paper work can be some what confusing and believe them when they say your gonna be loopy after 700 miles, it is very important to plan out your ride, including preplanned detours in areas you think may be trouble. If you want any help planning or need a witness I would be happy to help. The IBA rides don't appeal to everyone but they are an accomplishment for those who do.

--BTW I have my eyes on that 1500 in 24hrs......
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #12804
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,935
ss1000

I've thought of atempting a ss1000 plenty of times. Regular life has a tendency to get in the way and i've never fully planned a route fully. Mostly I figured pick a place about 500 miles away and then ride there and back.

This year I had wqynto much going on between work and the wifes health issues. As it stands I have not evenstarted thbikemin 3 weeks.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #12805
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Leave RIC at 3pm and ride till midnight then bunk out until 6-7am then ride back and as long as your back by 3pm your set. This is by far the easiest way to do it.

--BTW I have my eyes on that 1500 in 24hrs......
Interesting time schedule leaving at 3:00, I never thought of this...thanks. The Key West plan was just a thought, I realize that avoiding south Florida would be much safer regarding traffic and tourists. Another idea is to head out 500 miles, get a receipt/picture/IBA attestation form signed by a local at gas station employee and then head back for 500 miles. I am going to do this in the Spring. I would strongly welcome, encourage, ask, one person to come along.
The "Loop of the Commonweath" that was discussed yesterday is a possibility too, but I would probably head further south on 81, hit 77 into NC and then head up 85 to avoid the local cops on 58. I'd still have to run the Emporia/South Hampton county gauntlet into Hampton Roads. (Would starting and end point signatures from a witness, way points from a SPOT and gas receipts be enough proof for the IBA?)
When I was 22, I drove 1,510 miles (stopping only for gas/food/coffee, without sleep with some crazy girl that wouldn't shut up!) from Fort Sam Houston, TX to Richmond in 26 hours). 1,500 miles in 24 hours on a bike sounds a bit beyond me right now. Let me try the "easy" SS1000 first, good luck with planning that ride!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #12806
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Interesting time schedule leaving at 3:00, I never thought of this...thanks. The Key West plan was just a thought, I realize that avoiding south Florida would be much safer regarding traffic and tourists. Another idea is to head out 500 miles, get a receipt/picture/IBA attestation form signed by a local at gas station employee and then head back for 500 miles. I am going to do this in the Spring. I would strongly welcome, encourage, ask, one person to come along.
The "Loop of the Commonweath" that was discussed yesterday is a possibility too, but I would probably head further south on 81, hit 77 into NC and then head up 85 to avoid the local cops on 58. I'd still have to run the Emporia/South Hampton county gauntlet into Hampton Roads. (Would starting and end point signatures from a witness, way points from a SPOT and gas receipts be enough proof for the IBA?)
When I was 22, I drove 1,510 miles (stopping only for gas/food/coffee, without sleep with some crazy girl that wouldn't shut up!) from Fort Sam Houston, TX to Richmond in 26 hours). 1,500 miles in 24 hours on a bike sounds a bit beyond me right now. Let me try the "easy" SS1000 first, good luck with planning that ride!
Eddy,

Bragging rights (and that's all they really are) mean different things to different folks. I've made a few "long" rides and folks have asked if I had applied for an IBA certificate. I did not. Personally, I didn't want to have to deal with the paperwork, gas slips, and sign-offs; just didn't seem important. I knew what I had done, or was about to do, and that was good enough for me. Besides, I already had a nice license plate frame.

Personal memorable straight-through burns:

1973 - Lynchburg to Edison, NJ in January on a Kawasaki H2 750 triple - very cold with snow.
2002 - Richmond to Denver (1800+ miles) in approx. 28 hours.
2005 - Richmond to Duluth, MN (1245 miles on the KLR) in approx. 24 hours
2005 - Richmond to Port Orange, FL for dinner and an immediate return after eating. When I told my wife earlier in the departure evening what I was doing, she asked,"Why? What's wrong with the restaurants around here?" I did leave at 3 in the a.m. for this one.
2006 - Richmond to Hill City, SD on the KLR. Did take 2 days on this one with a stop in Lincoln, Nebraska to visit the Kawasaki factory for a tour of their facility.
2008 - Richmond to Duluth, MN (on the Connie) for the Very Boring Rally II in less than 24 hours, then a return burn 2 days later in about the same time.

Would/could I do another tomorrow? You betcha. With the exception of sticking on a fresh set of tires, both bikes are kept in shape for a ride into the unknown. Would I apply for an IBA thingy? Nope, probably not. But that's just me.

YMMV........... no pun intended.

My destiny - working on bikes at a rally. This was in Hill City, SD.:

Guy Young screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 01:28 PM
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #12807
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
All the days issues.

Madstrom .... I have one more training event before Im back on line. If I don't have to go back this weekend Im up for an overnight. Tent, cabin, hotel is fine. Any location.

Eddy .... Im up for an Iron Butt. With heated gear I don't really care where we go. Lets talk.

John and Andrew .... My friend Mark and I went back out to West Point today. If you think it was wet last weekend you should have seen it today. Deep deep water and lots of it. Mark did well on his V-Strom 650 but he took a big hit today. In one of the puddles he hit a hole which sent him hurling into his windshield. Lesson here .... if you have an adjustable windshield set it low when riding off road. Bloody mess but he is ok. Here is a short clip of todays ride. Only a couple minutes long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it2qHVEA6CU

In regards to dogs and dear hunting ... the hunters were out again today in force. I'm sure its a lot of fun but all I saw were hunters sitting in their trucks or leaning on the hood with a rifle or shotgun. There has to be a law against that? They lined all the open fields in single file, more than half of them sitting along side a paved road. I don't get it. Not much of a sport to me.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #12808
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
In regards to dogs and dear hunting ... the hunters were out again today in force. I'm sure its a lot of fun but all I saw were hunters sitting in their trucks or leaning on the hood with a rifle or shotgun. There has to be a law against that? They lined all the open fields in single file, more than half of them sitting along side a paved road. I don't get it. Not much of a sport to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's goofy alright. I have not seen that myself, at least take a stand in the woods.

I have not been able to ride a 1000 miles in 24 hours. I know I can rip off 750 to 850 a day over multiple days to get somewhere or to get back. I start to feel unsafe and I have to get off the road. Y'all be careful out there.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #12809
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Chuck,

Great video!
thanks for sharing, I was off today, I wish I could have joined in the mud fun.

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #12810
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,848
Laugh Elvis has left the building....

Today was my last day at the "work camp", I have now joined the ranks of the retired, just like Guy....but will seek a new career when my move is completed to the Buckeye state....

boy, it sure felt good to walk out of those doors for the last time.....but that's what I said the last time I quit there
This ones for good though
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote