Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #46
Bobdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I broke my left ankle, and walked on it for a week, before getting it looked at. High threshold for pain I guess, or I am stupid. Been told both.

I had three screws and a brace installed in my leg. I cannot stress enough what people are saying about take it slow. I was told to wait 6 weeks, before putting weight on the ankle. Pain lessened enough after 4 weeks that I thought I could try walking to the bathroom from the living room without my crutches. Snapped two screws, and had to get opperated on again. Dr said, if I snapped them again, he would have to leave them in, and I would never walk without pain again. To make it worse, second operation was done while I was awake, and I could feel the screws going in, even being numbed up..

For pain after surgery, the first week was the worse. It does get better.
Bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #47
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
It's now been 16 days from the fracture and repair. Within the last 72 hours I've experienced a significant decrease in the pain. Two days ago I took no hydrocodone and yesterday took only 1-500 mg tablet to help me get to sleep. When I have my foot down it still swells, but based on the pressure I feel in the cast not as much as it had before.
The XeroSox has been great and completely prevents any water from contacting the cast when showering. I believe one could safely swim with this over a cast.
In looking at my radiograph I have 5 screws in the plate over my my fibula and a a 6th lag screw attaching a fragment to the plated bone. The orthopedic surgeon who did the surgery told me I could leave the hardware in place indefinitely unless it caused a problem. One poster to this thread stated he had his plate removed and it improved his eventual recovery. I'm curious if others with a plate have had them removed or not found that to be an issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #48
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdog View Post
Pain lessened enough after 4 weeks that I thought I could try walking to the bathroom from the living room without my crutches. Snapped two screws, and had to get opperated on again. To make it worse, second operation was done while I was awake, and I could feel the screws going in
They do that to teach guys like you a lesson!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #49
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
I was told 4 weeks non-weight bearing, 4 weeks in a boot and 4 weeks in normal shoes, but no heavy duty use. I'm 6 days out and have been surprised the pain has been far greater after the surgery than prior to it. If I go any distance on the crutches or leave my leg down for extended periods my toes start to swell and the ankle begins to ache. I've limited my intake of hydrocodone, but usually need it to sleep. Last night was the first time I was able to sleep off my back. I rolled to the right and placed a pillow between my legs.
I would very much appreciate any insights from anyone who has suffered a similar injury regarding things like when will the pain subside, when in the boot will I still need crutches-if so how long, what will my foot feel like when back in shoes (painful or just different), what your experience is years later, etc??? I realize every fracture is different so I am searching for a general range of experiences.

Thanks
Dave
I did something similar this summer.....fractured ankle, wrecked ligaments and a snapped fibula. I was told 4 weeks in a cast no weight, 4 weeks in a boot no weight.....then I could spend the next 6 weeks progressing from the no weight bearing boot to a regular shoe.

I was in severe pain going home after the surgery (I had previously been whacked out on pain meds in a hospital for 2 days).....I had a 2 hour trip back from the hospital.....I thought my foot was going to explode it swelled so badly. It hurt bad, real bad. After about 6 hours of pain the swelling went down and I finally stopped rocking back and forth and crying like a bitch....damn, that sucked.

Everything sucked for awhile....pain meds constantly....then it just seemed that in the course of a couple days it just did a 180 and I was only taking pain meds occasionally to sleep.

*I* did it wrong and got lucky.....6 weeks out.....I was only 2 weeks on the boot (and not supposed to even think about putting weight on it for 2 more weeks).....I started "shuffling" on it occasionally....then 2 days later hobbling......2 days after that I went on vacation and drove and walked (with crutches) all over the Black Hills of SD. It was stupid....but I reasoned (incorrectly) that as long as I wasnt on pain meds and it didnt hurt....that I was OK.

I got lucky and was OK. By the time I went in to start my 6 week transition from no weight boot to regular footwear....I was walking in my work boots (laced up tight and with a funny as hell limp...but I was doing it).

Your foot just isnt going to feel like your foot for awhile. Its not going to have the range of motion....it felt similar to what I think it would feel walking on a prosthesis as far as balance, movement etc. It doesnt respond "right". Until my ligaments came back round to something resembling normal range of motion I walked all kinds of screwed up....old crippled guys made me look slow. It took forever to get across a parking lot. Pain was mild during this....no sharp pain, slight ache or dull throb. Even during the stretches....I didnt take any pains meds during rehab. I went for the first 2 weeks...then just used the exercises and continued on my own. Again, not right...but its what I did.

Even after you get your range of motion back your going to wake up with a stiff ankle for a couple months....you will likely need to massage it and flex it before you even put a foot on the ground. Even after that for the first 5 minutes of the day I hobbled more than walked.....itd stretch out then Id be good.

Im 4 months out now.....no morning massage or stretching, I can get up and just walk off starting my day. It does ache often....and I suspect that will be a forever thing...maybe not.

You will feel very "protective" of that foot for quite awhile....everything I went to do with my foot I was leary of for quite awhile.

I also now wear full MX boots when Im on my dual sport. Even if just tooling around on a gravel road. My accident was only a 15 mph get off on a well maintained gravel road......I just landed wrong.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #50
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrkelly View Post
Your foot just isnt going to feel like your foot for awhile. Its not going to have the range of motion....it felt similar to what I think it would feel walking on a prosthesis as far as balance, movement etc.
You're right about that. Doing the proper rehab exercise program is critical if you want any chance of your ankle getting back to normal.
00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #51
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 404
Well, here was my story from the past year:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666031

I definitely screwed up by not respecting how significant the hardware repair and bone grafting would be and taking only 2 weeks off from work after my first surgery. While I have a mostly sedentary job, I have an (at best) hour commute each way and it was impossible to properly elevate the leg when I got there.

The infectious disease doc thinks the MRSA was already at work, but I didn't help matters by pushing myself too hard, too quickly. The exposed screw came about when I lost my balance and fell after overdoing it at work one day, with the cast causing an abrasion over the incision line. Within a week that minor abrasion turned into the head of the screw poking out of the wound.

After the second surgery (and the subsequent further complication with a bout of c. diff), I was taken totally out of work for almost three months. Didn't have to tell me that time to rest, elevate, ice and behave.

Don't be surprised at how long the elevate and ice routine will need to remain in place. Big part of the recovery process and the rehab process.

I started to walk again after seeing the surgeon on June 21st (after having been immobilized and on crutches since Nov 23rd). What a weird sensation. Definitely the "this is not my foot" feeling and it took a lot of focus on gait training to get normal motion back. PT was critical in achieving that result.

Still have pain and stiffness on pretty much a daily basis, that may be part of my new normal going forward to some extent although general reasoning says it can be a good year to reach an end result. And with my extended immobilization, 2 surgeries, and the c.diff to boot the "usual" timeframes got thrown out the window.

At the recommendation of my PT, picked up some compression socks at CVS that have been my salvation. Yeah, I looked ridiculous wearing shorts and knee high black socks but screw it. There were far greater indignities than that this past year. HIGHLY recommend them when you get out of the boot. I've been told to expect to need continue using them at least through the winter months. Who knows, maybe longer. Whatever - they make me functional and that is all that matters. Although at least now it isn't shorts weather anymore.

When I started PT I also renewed my gym membership and started with riding the stationery bike. Really helped get some motion back. Then I started walking with my dog in the woods as long as I could tolerate. At first it took me probably an hour to go all of a mile or so. Last weekend, I took Hannah on an 8 mile hike. So yeah, it gets better!

Can't run yet and can't get on the mountain bike, the latter mostly due to swelling and cycling shoe limitations. Got back out on the Uly in late August and still hope to get an easy ride in the dirt on the KLX before the snow flies here.

Get Good MX Boots. Period. My injury was not on the bike but I will be wearing my MX boots for ALL rides whereas previously I had worn Thor 50/50s for "easier" street rides and particularly if we were going to walk around a lot at a destination. Nope, now if necessary I will pack extra shoes.

Good Luck to you - here's to a smooth and quick healing process!

DirtGrlll screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 12:00 PM
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #52
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the lengthy reviews of fracture to walking. It gives me an approximate time-line. I'm hoping that having my ankle reduced within 10 minutes of the accident will shorten my recovery; time will tell.
I had a similar (and preventable) experience as mentioned in one of the posts. My wife picked me up at the hospital in Spartanburg, SC the day after surgery and we drove 4 hours to our house just south of Knoxville, TN. I had positioned myself on the rear seat so I could prop my leg up; however, not above my heart. The trip became agonal. My ankle and foot swelled immensely. I became so nauseated from the pain I thought I was going to vomit. By the time we arrived home blood was oozing from my bandage. Knowing better now I should have laid down in the rear with my foot elevated well above my head.
I am experiencing a strange sensation and was wondering if it has occurred with others. When they removed my splint and bandaging it felt as though I had a piece of adhesive tape running the length of the bottom of my foot; most notable over the ball of the foot. Before the cast was applied I mentioned that I thought they had left a piece of tape on the bottom of my foot. The looked and said no. I then reached down and only felt really tense skin (from swelling), no tape. The feeling has persisted and I'm wondering if it is the plantar facia?
Before fracturing my ankle I had just purchased a new Cannondale Synapse carbon bike. Took it home with the intent of doing some serious bicycle riding on my return. Fortunately I have a trainer and can pop off the front wheel and mount the bike in it. I surmise I'm looking at 8 weeks before doing this?
Again, a very sincere thanks to all who have posted their experiences with an ankle fracture. It is reassuring to have some idea of what the future holds.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #53
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,873
Good luck PetDoc. I too, broke an ankle in a motorcycle accident. My nose was a'pointing South while my toes was a'pointing North, with my little XT225 laid across the now broken ankle. I was wearing a pair of nicely laced paratrooper boots but my leg muscles and tendons must have been in good shape, for as soon as I kicked the motorcycle off my ankle with my other foot, the ankle righted itself and I was able to walk with a somewhat painful limp. I rode around another hour or two, then took an hour off to set in an easy chair a while...then an hour ride to the hospital. Yep, it's broken said the doc. I knew that.

They didn't tell me much about the break. I saw the x-rays, and it looked like a spiral break but everything appeared to be in place. They casted me up and sent me home with Tylenol 4s. Two weeks later, with a ton of pain and my toes looking like vienna sausauges, I got a new doc and a new cast that was a bit looser and much more comfortable. X-rays showed good progress in the bone healing. No more swelling and soon a walking heel mounted in the cast. After 5 weeks, the cast came off and I wanted it put back on. Oh. My. God. That hurt. My foot was sooooo tender and the ankle didn't recall at all what it was like to flex in any way. The muscles of my calf were literally half the size they used to be. Sports doc gave me good advice and a good warning. Work on the flexibility, all day, every day. Every time you're sitting, flex that ankle in every direction for the entire time. He also told me to find access to a pool and walk 30 minutes to an hour a day in chest deep water until the foot and ankle could withstand walking without the water. I joined a walking program and did a two mile loop 5 to 6 days a week. Even so, it took more than a year for my ankle to begin to feel normal. It's pretty normal now, almost never hurts and has lost only minimal flexibility. The sports doc was right...flex that ankle in every direction, all the time, as soon as your cast comes off. Don't stop. Keep flexing that ankle for the next three years. Again, good luck PetDoc.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #54
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtGrlll View Post
Well, here was my story from the past year:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666031
Wow. The last doc I talked to had one piece of advice: "Stay away from doctors"
I've never spent a night in a hospital and now I know why I don't want to! Glad you (and the OP) are finally on the road to recovery.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #55
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Wow. The last doc I talked to had one piece of advice: "Stay away from doctors"
Here is some more input about the guy who had to have his leg amputated. His story concerns me because you think a doctor would take care of you but after 3 months his foot was dieing. I guess no injury is simple and the doctor wants to go home at the end of the day too.

His post:

Re: The Big Crash

Hey gang, sorry about the mix up. I crashed my bike in September of '05 and broke my ankle and wrecked all of the nerves. After 5 months of it not getting proper blood supply to the bones and RSDS ( Super hyper sensitivity, swelling, discolouration, sweating.....) the doc. told me to put weight on the foot, thats where the first pic. comes from. The ankle is broken again and very swollen. The next pic. is when I had my leg amputated a month ago. And the rest is history, however I have a very nice '02 in my garage just waiting for me to heal so I can ride her again. Oh Oh, I have had nothig but great success with my Akrapovic Exhaust System, when I put it on I was amazed to see the original Headers fit INSIDE the Akrapovic Systems Headers. This was a real boost to my PIG, maybe it will lead others like myself into temptation,lol, because it will.

Ride hard and be safe C.C.

Well it has been a very long time since I have ridden. A short little
story just to catch you folks up: I crashed my XR Sept. 2005, smashed
my ankle to bits, May 2006 leg was amputated just below the knee, May
2007 same leg was reamputated just below knee again. I tried to ride
the bike last year in 2007 but found upshifting to be a real problem,
of course I can downshift but with no articulation in my Left ankle I
was unable to place my foot to upshift. I would like a few ideas here,
and I know you'll have a few: I would like to put an electric shifter
on my bike without much mod, I was thinking of an automotive door lock
but I would like to know what other options I may have.

Thanks aLL

First post after accident

Well fella's I finally did IT. I've shattered my ankle and Talor
Dome, bruised my tail bone, cracked my ribs (in 3 places), and 14
stitches under my chin later, I crashed my bike. I guess it was not a
slow sweeper to the right but instead it was a T in the road, and man
that ditch was Deep! The doctor say's I'll be out for 4 months, but
that's fine 'cause winter is on it's way and time for work to begin on
the PIG. Have a good time and ride hard, we'll see you all in the
spring.

P.S. No damage to the bike except for a tweaked front tire, not bad
from 60mph to 0mph in a ditch
LMAO.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #56
acupuncture4u
Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer: 1,372
That is a sobering amputation pic! Hope you find something to help you shift. As far as injury goes, acupuncture and herbs can do some AMAZING things. First of all look into an internal martial arts hit medicine called
Chin Koo, or also listed as Jin Gu Die Sheng wan.

Acupuncture can really help the circulation and recovery. They have shown that electro-acupuncture over the site of the fracture can help heal the injury 50% faster. Then they also use a north side of a magnet over the site of the fracture and has about the same recovery time.

God speed,

Dustin

How is your Heart Health
acupuncture4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #57
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Here is some more input about the guy who had to have his leg amputated. His story concerns me because you think a doctor would take care of you but after 3 months his foot was dieing. I guess no injury is simple and the doctor wants to go home at the end of the day too.
Having dealt with injured dogs and cats for decades I'm well aware that shit happens; lots of reasons including negligence, unintended consequences of a repair, underlying injuries/problems(e.g. vascular disease from diabetes, smoking, etc...) and bad luck. So far things appear to be going as well as can be expected. Actually last nite I got to sleep on my stomach for the first time in 18 days.
I've been a monoped for about 2 1/2 weeks and based on the posts on this thread I'm looking at least at another 3 1/2 weeks before touch down is permitted. All sorts of new experiences--my shoulder joints are sore from bearing all my weight through my hands on the crutches when moving, my right hip hurts from hoping around on 1 leg, and I've mastered leaning against the wall while standing on one foot to take a piss. Having the ability to bear even minimal weight on my left foot will be a major milestone.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #58
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Oops I've done it again

Hi Petdoc,

Today is the 6th week since I broke my tibia and fibula. I also gave my neck a good shake and have a mild paraesthesia from central cord syndrome (a.k.a. whiplash). It seems that this problem gets worse after 50 years old.
My Alpine Stars tech 5 did not prevent the leg injury, but I knew the leg was broken when the ambulance officers took the boot off! I had an interesting time being winched into the helicopter before being taken 300 Km to Melbourne. I felt like I had been sandblasted and for days there was sand in my hospital bed.

I had to wear a cervical neck brace for 6 weeks. Bummer! I still have slight pins and needles in my wrists and senstive skin over the inner forearms. This might be transient or permanent.

I had a spiral fractured tibia reduced with a "nail" inserted below the knee cap and guided with a small incision /bone access hole above the ankle. They did not reduce the minimally dispaced fibula. They placed a back slab plaster, an L shaped plaster under the foot and up behind the calf muscle. It was wrapped into position using a crepe bandage. At two weeks they removed the back strap and the staples(metal stures). I was told to use crutches and no weight bearing for 6 weeks. I had to use Endone ( morphine) tablets for a few days , but then I found the pain level was controlled by paracetamol and ibuprofen. I stopped taking pain relief at about 2 weeks post op.

My problem has been with swelling of the leg and foot. I keep it elevated when I can which helps. I can identify with the feeling of tape under the foot. I have lost mobility in the ankle and until my next review in Melbourne ( 380Km away/ 5 hours by road.) I am reluctant to start loading my leg yet.

In the past I have found walking knee deep in the sea is a useful exercise for ankle/knee recovery . The cold helps kill the pain.

Future plans:
1) dont ride my DRZ400 in deep sand. I wish I had listened and ridden my wrf290 ( horses for courses)
2) Buy a neck brace. I like the look of the Omegabrace S1 the others seem to lack energy absorption technology and just limit helmet movement and then transfer the energy to the clavicles, sternum and cervical spine.
3) Rethink my decision to wear medium boots on and APC rally in 2012.

I have been riding dirt for 30 years. Accidents can happen in the blink of the eye, unforeseen obstacles can get you off balance, or worse you can hit another rider head on or an animal (kangaroos/moose?). This is my first major fracture ( if you discount the 3 broken clavicles, ribs, thumb, nose, haematoma on the other leg).
I am a dentist and what I am realizing is that the wonderful blood supply to the head allows me greater leeway with bone healing than that which happens in long bones. After implant surgery often patients say that they feel OK within a few days. One good thing about injury is that it makes you appreciate when you are healthy! I wish you a speedy recovery Pet Doc
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #59
ruttingstag
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote.
" Fortunately I have a trainer and can pop off the front wheel and mount the bike in it. I surmise I'm looking at 8 weeks before doing this?"

10 Days after my ankle surgery I bought a exercise bike and started doing 10 minutes with no resistance, then elevation and ice to stop the swelling - building up every day a little longer.
I found it a good way of excercising and keeping the weight off the ankle also good for keeping the pounds off.
Stretching and getting the ankle moving is so important as all the ligiments/tendons get shorter and need stretched to get the movement back.

I think everybodys injury is going to different and recovery also.
It took me 12 weeks just to able to walk on a smooth road, 16 weeks to walk on an uneven surface, slowly.
Balancing on one leg is really difficult for the first 6 months.

Hardware Removal.
I didnt recover properly until I got the metal work out, as I mentioned in my first reply.
Dont worry about it as they will want to wait a year before taking it out, if you need it out.
Many people leave the screws and plate in and never notice.
KEEP IT MOVING AND ELEVATED
Best of luck.
ruttingstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #60
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

For those interested I found this to be a very informative and concise review of ankle fractures and healing.
http://www.rcsed.ac.uk/fellows/lvanr...nkle/ankle.htm