ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #421
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge View Post
"they are short of two things: a pen and money" - Bernie (via Speed)
One can always overcome being short of pen and money.

__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #422
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 10,016
Tomorrow is the new D-Day....will they have pen and money ready?

Apparently Bernie does not understand how important Texans are:

"I've spent more time with these people and these races in the States than [with] anybody else [to make a Grand Prix happen]," Ecclestone is quoted as saying. "India's come and gone, and other places have come and gone, and we're still messing around" in Texas.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!

shrineclown screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 11:52 PM
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #423
mike
Beastly Adventurer
 
mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 3,179
__________________
2003 ZRX 1200R
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #424
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post

Apparently Bernie does not understand how important Texans are:

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #425
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
So the actions of a few businesses reflect the entire population?

Hell the state is smart enough not to pay for something that's not guaranteed.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #426
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 8,012

NEXT RACE DEADLINES
Eagles Canyon (TX), 17-18 Dec '11 (late apps only)
Texas World Spdwy, 11-12 Feb '12 (apply by 10 Dec)
Portland Int'l Rcwy, 18-19 Feb '12 (apply by 17 Dec)


LeMons to Save Cancelled Texas F1 Race
London, England--As 2012's Austin TX Formula One race evaporated this week, 24 Hours of LeMons stepped in to save the USGP by adding an F1 class to its upcoming February 11-12 Texas World Speedway event. The series will waive its $500-or-less rule for F1 entries, reasoning that the cars will be worth less than $500 after the race.
"According to Bernie Ecclestone, the Austin deal collapsed over money," said LeMons Chief Perpetrator Jay Lamm, "specifically the State of Texas's failure to deliver a $25 million licensing fee to F1 by November 30th. Thus, opening our February race at Texas World Speedway to Formula One cars will simultaneously rescue the US Grand Prix and save Texas taxpayers a cool $24,999,500."
The group concedes that putting modern F1 cars and execreble jalopies on the same track raises organizational issues. LeMons' umbrella girls, for example, will have to lose an average of 17 pounds and 68 IQ points to meet current F1 standards. Similarly, while F1 rules prohibit tobacco advertising, LeMons happily accepts money from cigar makers, crack dealers, animal pornographers, blood-diamond sellers, and Members of Congress. ("The trouble," says Lamm, "is that the bastards ain't offering.") And several F1 pilots, most notably Massa, Hamilton, and Kobayashi, will have to take lessons in non-contact racedriving before being allowed on a LeMons track.
For more on LeMons, click here; to enter an F1 team (or your terrible Gremlin) at Texas World Speedway on 11-12 February, click here. To vote for Bring F1 to LeMons online, click here.


Contact: John "Jay" Lamm, Chief Perpetrator
24 HOURS OF LeMONS
5675-C Horton St, Emeryville CA 94608
510.655.5980 x23 (Jay direct)
jay@24hoursoflemons.com

__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #427
mike
Beastly Adventurer
 
mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 3,179
another week.


http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/...p-2004205.html
__________________
2003 ZRX 1200R
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #428
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
So the actions of a few businesses reflect the entire population?

Hell the state is smart enough not to pay for something that's not guaranteed.


The unkind are going to say that Texas doesn't have the money and that promises were made by politicians that didn't have the authority to make those promises.

I mean, it's not like Texas is in the middle of huge financial issues for the state guv'mint, or tremendous cutbacks in public education, or Republican politicians accusing other Republican politicians of getting into the F1 debacle. Right?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #429
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The unkind are going to say that Texas doesn't have the money and that promises were made by politicians that didn't have the authority to make those promises.

I mean, it's not like Texas is in the middle of huge financial issues for the state guv'mint, or tremendous cutbacks in public education, or Republican politicians accusing other Republican politicians of getting into the F1 debacle. Right?
Youre right, it's a shame we're the only state that has such issues.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #430
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Eh, that brings them right to the FIM meeting on December 7th. Imagine that. Bernie will drag them all the way and then give them the news. "you've pissed me off, you are dead to me."
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #431
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Youre right, it's a shame we're the only state that has such issues.

We are the only state that goes around bragging about how well we have weathered the financial crisis that crippled the rest of the nation when the reality is arguably quite the contrary - the state government is deeply in debt, the political rats are jumping ship like mad, education is going downhill, this "financial miracle" that Texas brags about are mostly minimum wage jobs that have all understandably gone to migrants, and now we find out that promises to pay for the F1 race were made and (at this point in time) unlikely to be kept.

I had really, really looked forward to seeing this race and at this point I am not optimistic. And yeah, I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the Texas politicians and the organizers who couldn't come through with the money.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #432
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
We are the only state that goes around bragging about how well we have weathered the financial crisis that crippled the rest of the nation when the reality is arguably quite the contrary - the state government is deeply in debt, the political rats are jumping ship like mad, education is going downhill, this "financial miracle" that Texas brags about are mostly minimum wage jobs that have all understandably gone to migrants, and now we find out that promises to pay for the F1 race were made and (at this point in time) unlikely to be kept.

I had really, really looked forward to seeing this race and at this point I am not optimistic. And yeah, I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the Texas politicians and the organizers who couldn't come through with the money.
True, I just think its silly that people feel the need to point it out like it proves we're the worst state or something else stupid.

No one weathered the depression well. We did much better than a lot of states, everyone has these issues though.



I was looking forward to it too.

Not just because I'm a Texan, but I also think the US is long overdue for a serious entry into the more international forms of racing.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #433
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
True, I just think its silly that people feel the need to point it out like it proves we're the worst state or something else stupid.

No one weathered the depression well. We did much better than a lot of states, everyone has these issues though.



I was looking forward to it too.

Not just because I'm a Texan, but I also think the US is long overdue for a serious entry into the more international forms of racing.
Hey, we have MotoGP and WSBK! That is international and Bernie has nothing to do with it. Probably why it works here.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #434
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Hey, we have MotoGP and WSBK! That is international and Bernie has nothing to do with it. Probably why it works here.
True.

It needs more airtime.


And we can accomplish that by turning this track into the world premier MOTOGP/WSBK track!!!


We'll make BILLIONS!!!!!
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #435
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
True, I just think its silly that people feel the need to point it out like it proves we're the worst state or something else stupid.

No one weathered the depression well. We did much better than a lot of states, everyone has these issues though.

I was looking forward to it too.

Not just because I'm a Texan, but I also think the US is long overdue for a serious entry into the more international forms of racing.

Won't argue with anything that you wrote here. The whole thing makes me so mad I feel like making up some picket signs and heading to Austin. Buncha crooks.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014