Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #361
deeno360
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
150 sized rear....so yes, I have the center style lug.....and YES, they did splendid on wet tarmac, dirt road, muddy spots here and there. I do see snow, deep gravel and mud in my future....so we shall see.
The trick in these tires I believe is that they are aggressive to handle offroad conditions that I want to go, even BETTER is that I can get there on the same tires with NO hummmmmmm, NO rough and wobbly ride....the bike brakes and corners very well with the K60s....SO I can have a blast on the whole ride without dumping lots o money in wheels and tires specific for offorad areas = K60s total package for me
deeno360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #362
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno360 View Post
150 sized rear....so yes, I have the center style lug.....and YES, they did splendid on wet tarmac, dirt road, muddy spots here and there. I do see snow, deep gravel and mud in my future....so we shall see.
The trick in these tires I believe is that they are aggressive to handle offroad conditions that I want to go, even BETTER is that I can get there on the same tires with NO hummmmmmm, NO rough and wobbly ride....the bike brakes and corners very well with the K60s....SO I can have a blast on the whole ride without dumping lots o money in wheels and tires specific for offorad areas = K60s total package for me

Im glad you like them. I can not bring myself to trust that center strip and I will not run a K60 front. I put too much trust in that knobby front... I think I may run a 140 rear with a tkc front this next year and see what I think... Happy riding
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #363
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno360 View Post
I will be interested to hear how the handling does once the rear is flat spotted from highway riding. I'd give it about 3000 miles. At that point you may find it doesn't do too well anywhere ... especially in Mud.

But if need be I'd bet you could get over 4K miles out of that tire. But in mud, the front will load up in 50 yards and become a Mud Hoop ... zero control, no steering. The smooth rear will just spin. Back up and push!

The beauty of real knobbies is their ability to shed mud. The faster you go the better this works. I would guess the Tiger's lower sub front fender may load up and jam. Same goes for the swingarm area.

Certain types of mud are insidious ... and really hard to shed off your tires, even on a "real" dirt bike. Use caution out there guys! The TKC's aren't the best dirt tires in the world ... but are miles ahead of these German Heidenau 50/50 tires in true dirt. For a long, mostly road tour however, they would be in my top three. They LAST really well.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #364
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
i think the hot 50/50 setup would be
tck-80 front
mitas E07 rear (same concept of k60 w/o center bar. unlike mefo super explorer avail. in 150-17")
http://www.mx1canada.com/Mitas-E07-Rear-130-80-17.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=193
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #365
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I am trying to not go over board here, but then I see something else that I am sure I will need. It could get a bit costly
Following this thread with interest (not sure how to "subscribe"). Obviously have added a real sump guard, crash bars as options, carriers for soft bags from Motorrad etc. Having drowned the Tiger in one of the many river crossings on a 2 day 2 up Adv ride would be interested in air intake mods. The current set up draws air from under the bike quickly sucking water in on deep crossings.Pulling the tank off and emptying the water out of the cylinders in the boonies is a right royal PIA and not possible with the ridiculous tool kit supplied (fortunately i had considerably more at my disposal). Maybe having the hole drawing from the side instead of from below?

cold comfort screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 08:34 PM
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #366
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
Following this thread with interest (not sure how to "subscribe").
At the top of the page, there's a tab saying "thread tools". Pick that and, then, "suscribe to this thread".
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #367
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
tck-80 front
mitas E07 rear (same concept of k60 w/o center bar. unlike mefo super explorer avail. in 150-17")
The Mitas 150/70-17 is a tubeless type tire, but I'd bet it would be fine to run a tube in it.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #368
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
The Mitas 150/70-17 is a tubeless type tire, but I'd bet it would be fine to run a tube in it.
happens all the time. TL tires just have a better built lip in the rim sealing area. Many tires rated TT will even work as TL. All tires these days will hold air...it's about the lip seal design.

i think most every (if not all) 150-17" tire is TL anyway as those tires started life (or came about later) supplying the TL R1100GS rear rims. from there it was capanords, stroms, etc. and later s10 and other new beasts running TL

the concept of a 21" front & 150-17" rear with spokes and tubes is new to the 800gs and now the 800xc.

so as you can see your rear tire history is from TL origins.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #369
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
tck-80 front

Ive heard that the Mitas dont last long at all. Also, still not a knobby tire. TKC front and rear all the way.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #370
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
happens all the time. TL tires just have a better built lip in the rim sealing area. Many tires rated TT will even work as TL. All tires these days will hold air...it's about the lip seal design.

i think most every (if not all) 150-17" tire is TL anyway as those tires started life (or came about later) supplying the TL R1100GS rear rims. from there it was capanords, stroms, etc. and later s10 and other new beasts running TL

the concept of a 21" front & 150-17" rear with spokes and tubes is new to the 800gs and now the 800xc.

so as you can see your rear tire history is from TL origins.
Actually, tubeless have a liner inside the tire to seal the tire. A tube-type can allow air into the carcass of the tire with a resulting separation of the tread. I've seen it; not good.

Where this thread is trying to head: I guess if a tire is not a TKC 80, it's not worth a shit.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #371
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Where this thread is trying to head: I guess if a tire is not a TKC 80, it's not worth a shit.
maybe, depends on what you ride most. more street than dirt? more dirt than street? its all opinion. Isn't that what this site is all about? forming your own opinions and then seeing what others opinions are? In my opinion for the style of riding I do I like the TKC 80. and I believe the tire will amaze you. It doesn't handle on the street like it looks like it should...
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #372
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Out in the woods there is an option to check & reset the MIL

Prerequisite.
An Android smartphone
Torque App. I use Torque Pro by Ian Hawkins
An OBD CONNECTOR with Bluetooth. Ebay seller

Member ID urban_fibre ( Feedback score of 1424)

OBD2 ii Adapter Bluetooth Diagnostic Torque USB Scanner

With this setup you can check for error codes and reset. Keep the OBD connector under the seat.
So,you need all this paraphanelia along to go ride in the dirt? What have we come to? For some reason the 800XC looks just like a 3 cylinder street bike with a little dirt styling and a 21" ft wheel. It does have more ground clearance then a strom? I have an older 4 cylinder 1200 Trophy but I do plan on getting a test ride on a triple soon.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #373
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Ive heard that the Mitas dont last long at all. Also, still not a knobby tire. TKC front and rear all the way.
guess you're hearing the opposite of me.
the guys on OZ have being using the E07 for a long time now and reports are some the best rear mileage of any mfg.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #374
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Actually, tubeless have a liner inside the tire to seal the tire. A tube-type can allow air into the carcass of the tire with a resulting separation of the tread. I've seen it; not good.

i don't doubt that could happen, but i've read plenty who have not had that issue. the versys guys in particular, experiment as there stock front tire is 120-17" TL and not many adv tires in that size. because of this they've been using 120-17" rear TT shinko 244 & 705 with great results. other have use tires from other mfg. w/ no issues.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #375
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Top thread. I saw your video on You Tube and have been reading your thread.

I went from a 950ADV to a DR650 and now on a Bandit 1250.

I think the Tiger could get me back on an Adventure bike.
G'Day,

The tiger is a really good combination if you enjoy a bit of road riding. I am a pretty steady road rider but this thing is really good on the tight, windy and often bumpy roads that I ride on the way to the dirt. And then, when you get to the dirt it is a lot of fun. The motor is incredibly tractable but you can still flick it around when you twist the throttle. To top it all off, the Tiger is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden (quite an achievement because the DL650 was pretty hard to beat in this regard).

Cheers,

Danny
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote