You need a proper skid plate! great build
Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #77
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
You need a proper skid plate! great build
Thanks and i'll get to it soon hopefully. There are a couple of threads on these bikes with typical questions arising.

mine weighs 415# with 4 gallons fuel in it, definitely a pig if you lose momentum or drop it.

The stock exhaust does touch the swingarm but i find that the exhaust tip is malleable enough that it doesn't bother me. i don't think the exhaust can proper hits the swingarm, especially when you account for race sag. The stock exhaust is very heavy and therefore very quiet which is really important to me. what difference is 415# vs 410#?

my mud guard needs some work

my motocross tire has gone about 1000 miles and was almost half gone when i mounted it

pic of failed mudguard and exhaust considerations. the exhaust tip is just a thin valence and could be resected easily

dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #78
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

17/19

Not much in the way of progress but since all the cool kids have them, I'm going to set up a set of 17/19 wheels for the ole Thinja.

This was attached to a pear-shaped rim so i figure I'll build a 19 incher out of it.

Ebay yielded a ktm rear mx rim 2.15 in width. Nest step is to call these guys and get some spokes to make things work out, hopefully.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...spoke_sets.asp

Next is to decide what tires to get. I already have the knobbies in 18/21 and a set of sumo wheels with street tires in 17/17. The logical mid point might be something like these Shinkos

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

I need advice on the tire selection and if there is anything special about the tubes i'll need, mixing radial and TT TL etc. etc
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #79
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I can't recommend the Kenda Big Blocks, poor tread life, around 1200 miles on the rear and almost gone.

I was thinking about going to a 21, but now I know I'm rolling with the cool kids, I'll keep the 19.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #80
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Not much in the way of progress but since all the cool kids have them, I'm going to set up a set of 17/19 wheels for the ole Thinja.
forget the kids, does that make me a cool grandpappy?
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #81
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

So it a "No" for the big blocks, apparently.

And i should have said that all the cool dudes are running 19s, but then dune&stars might see this...
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #82
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
So it a "No" for the big blocks, apparently.
more like, NOOOOOOOOOO!

i used up the rear BB this weekend on the TWVT (somewhat in your neighborhood), so that thing is coming off. big beefy tire in the 17 size, but they don't last long. if you where on muddy roads constantly and didn't mind the cost of replacing the tire, that's about the only application i can think of.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #83
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still waiting on buchanon spokes for the 19 inch front. My tires are here so I decided to paw through the trash pile for parts with which to build a tire change stand. Avert your eyes...

Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #84
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

The hub I have is a 26mm axle but the Thinja has a 20mm axle. I decided to make some sleeves that slide into the stock ktm spacers. These spacers took forever for a rookie without the proper tooling. I had to drill the blank with as large a bit as possible then I used a boring bar to get to 20mm. Whats the proper tool for this, 20mm drill bit or reamer? Oh well, i'm learning the hard way as usual.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #85
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

19 incher finally done: TIME SUCK

My adventure wheel experiment turned out to be a steep learning curve. I ordered up all the stuff I thought was needed and figured it was a quick assembly job. Then Murphy's Law demanded recognition. The short version is that this pile of parts:

turned into this:

It took about a week to get some stainless spokes from Buchanon. The spokes wouldn't go into the hub, too thick. I call the company and explain. The girl says "but thats the size we make". After a couple of seconds i ask, "Well what do we do now"? she answers "you'll have to drill out your hub". She made me aware that I am a dumb-ass to expect a custom ordered set to actually fit.

I drill the hub spoke holes bigger but they are still snug so getting the rim to lace up is a real chore for a novice. I persist and get things buttoned up only to realize another problem. The rim I'm using is a standard 19 inch 2.15 rim for the rear end of a KTM/Yamaha YZ etc. The nipple holes are drilled at an angle appropriate for a rear hub which is about 5 inches wide. My hub is only 3 inches wide so the angle of the dangle is off and I notice all my spokes are bowed. Not knowing much but thinking that is not good, I post a question in the woodyswheelworks thread and he answers that the rim has to be drilled as well.

I wasn't about to unlace the dang thing so I went about doing them one at a time. I borrowed a special drill bit from my farrier that has a big chamfer edge combined with a smaller twist bit. 36 holes. I learned as I went along and got it down to 3 or 4 minutes per hole. It turned out ok.

Went to mount the wheel after installing the 320mm rotor, new tire and caliper relocator. It bolts up but the wheel wont turn. The rotor is hitting the caliper bracket. Here again I assumed that a rotor and caliper bracket bought as a kit would actuall be built with the proper clearance for the rotor to spin inside the caliper bracket. Wrong again, out comes the mill file.

All told I have about 20 hours into the wheel swap with the spacers and all the hassles. Not to mention the frozen rear axle... And the bike falling off the lift at one point
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #86
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

wheelsets in review

17/17 ninja cast configuration

17/17

18/21

17/19

Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #87
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
The wheels look great and if it was easy everyone would do it . Nice job.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #88
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

That looks like a nice brake set up on your new 19. What is the scoop on that? You got everything except a set of big wheels, maybe that's next?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #89
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the encouragement. The front rotor is a Braking knockoff from ebay. $190 including the caliper bracket. It shipped out of oklahoma but surely was spawned in some oriental location.

Don't provoke me with any "big wheel" talk

Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #90
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

So what are you impressions 19 vs 21?

That is scary, the big wheel parts are in hand!

By the way, how do you like the Shinkos, have you had a chance to test them out. I need to get some new rubber for the mutant and these are on the short list.