ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #12856
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,052
NO problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
After posting I figured I should get laundry finished. Went down into basement only to find my hot water supply to washer decided to fail. Two inches of water in basement now... At least it is clean water... I will still try to make it.
Blooch, I think we have about 5 showing up here, we should be good.
Been there on the water thing, HW tank blew out last year, dumped 40gal on first floor, ruined flooring...sucks,
go ahaead and cleanup bro, we should be good
so far we have DirtDoc, Higworld, Michub, and I believe another fellow with Dirtdoc, and Guy and me....

Guy,
Dona is in route, make sure she picks up a lock at the U-Haul Place, one of the "disc (round) ones..

I'll start coffee around a half hour before evryone shows....
Thanks in advance for all....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #12857
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
I'll be meeting at 33 and 14 west of west point. I assume not everyone is going to MOB's house before hand.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #12858
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,094
Correct, I'll see you at Starbucks in 30 min...straight to WP
Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #12859
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
Anyone needs any professional concentrated degreaser/cleaner?

I've got a brand new 5 gallon tub. Mix with water, makes between 25 and 150 gallons of degreaser/cleaning stuff/whatever. I don't want to lug this tub around.

I want like half a gallon, maybe one gallon of the stuff. If anyone wants the rest, let me know.

I've also just aqcuired a bunch of other industrial-strength bottles (phosphoric acid cleaner, virucides, drain cleaner, etc) as well as some citric& pumice hand cleaner. Let me know if you want it.

I don't know how I feel about this stuff just being dumped in a dumpter, cspecially the Drain declogger stuff. There's about about 60 liters (5 unopned cases of 12 bottles) of this drain cleaner and maybe 2 cases of virocide that just got thrown into a dumpster. I really don't like the idea of this stuff lying around in a dumpster and probably going to a landfill or something....on the other hand, we do just flush it down the toilet, so maybe it's not that bad. I dunno. When it gets picked up by a trash compactor that crushes together the bottles of phosphoric acid-based cleaner and sodium hydroxide-based drain cleaner...I dunno, I'm kind of nervous. Should I call the local trash company and ask them if there's reason to be concerned? I think I'm going to do that.

Let me know in the next couple hours if anyone wants anything, or has any advice.

Skippii screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 10:26 AM
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #12860
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,367
Skippii it sounds as if you just robbed your place of employment
Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #12861
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
Skippii it sounds as if you just robbed your place of employment
My supervisor is "cleaning out" some storage areas, which means that all the chemicals get given to anyone who needs it, or thrown in the dumpster and in the morning they'll get picked up by the trash truck.

I'm happy and grateful about the first part--oil stain remover for concrete driveways, hand soap, rust remover---all good stuff for any who works on bikes or owns a KLR owner.

I am NOT happy about the second part.

I just spoke to my supervisor about if it's really a good/safe/legal idea to let all those chemicals get crushed together by the trash compacting truck. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that waste companies get annoyed if you dispose of strong acids and alkalines in their equipment without telling them it's anything other than solid waste. Maybe he's just assuming that the lye and acid will neutralize each other---though that's a bit of a long shot, since he admits he doesn't know what most of this stuff is. (He's the customer service manager....doesn't deal much with maintenance).

I told him I had concerns about the disposal.

He told me "Don't worry about it." Twice, actually, when I didn't drop the subject the first time.

I just feel like this could be bad, and get us in a lot of trouble.
I think I'm going to call the number on the dumpster after work today and ask their opinion. Maybe I'm just overly cautious and totally overreacting, but I'd rather know.

It's a little annoying that calling the waste company and asking if we did something bad is probably going to get us in more trouble than just throwing away 10 gallons of this stuff. On the other hand, if my supervisor cared about the regulations, he probably wouldn't have cut me off when I suggested asking if what we are doing is legal.

If anyone here knows about this stuff, please give me some advice.

And, back to the original point--if anyone wants any of this stuff, let me know now because I'm quite sure work is never going to offer me anything again if I make this phone call and they get in trouble.
* citrus heavy duty hand soap
* concrete cleaner
* Heavy Duty foaming Phosphoric Acid cleaner
* Virucidal/fungucidal spray
* Compressed air duster spray things for electronics
* Upholstry cleaner
* Drain clearer
Old 12-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #12862
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
My supervisor is "cleaning out" some storage areas, which means that all the chemicals get given to anyone who needs it, or thrown in the dumpster and in the morning they'll get picked up by the trash truck.

I'm happy and grateful about the first part--oil stain remover for concrete driveways, hand soap, rust remover---all good stuff for any who works on bikes or owns a KLR owner.

I am NOT happy about the second part.

I just spoke to my supervisor about if it's really a good/safe/legal idea to let all those chemicals get crushed together by the trash compacting truck. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that waste companies get annoyed if you dispose of strong acids and alkalines in their equipment without telling them it's anything other than solid waste. Maybe he's just assuming that the lye and acid will neutralize each other---though that's a bit of a long shot, since he admits he doesn't know what most of this stuff is. (He's the customer service manager....doesn't deal much with maintenance).

I told him I had concerns about the disposal.

He told me "Don't worry about it." Twice, actually, when I didn't drop the subject the first time.

I just feel like this could be bad, and get us in a lot of trouble.
I think I'm going to call the number on the dumpster after work today and ask their opinion. Maybe I'm just overly cautious and totally overreacting, but I'd rather know.

It's a little annoying that calling the waste company and asking if we did something bad is probably going to get us in more trouble than just throwing away 10 gallons of this stuff. On the other hand, if my supervisor cared about the regulations, he probably wouldn't have cut me off when I suggested asking if what we are doing is legal.

If anyone here knows about this stuff, please give me some advice.

And, back to the original point--if anyone wants any of this stuff, let me know now because I'm quite sure work is never going to offer me anything again if I make this phone call and they get in trouble.
* citrus heavy duty hand soap
* concrete cleaner
* Heavy Duty foaming Phosphoric Acid cleaner
* Virucidal/fungucidal spray
* Compressed air duster spray things for electronics
* Upholstry cleaner
* Drain clearer
Take it to the dump and leave it where they dispose of Gasoline, Oil, Batteries, Antifreeze etc.

It might cost you $3 though.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #12863
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
To all the mud riders today I had a great time even though I busted off one of my panniers. Thanks to VACommuter for carrying it for me on his hack. The CC Road was slick today and muddy (that's an understatement). Last run of the day I allowed my right leg to get bent back and jammed between the ground and the frame of the bike. Hurt like a mofo. Note to self: Don't do that! Also thanks to Eddy for the medical advice. Took the meds and have my knee iced. Thanks to Chuck for helping everyone that needed it. Hope everyone had a good time exploring King and Queen County today!

cheers,

j

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #12864
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I'm waiting on a ride report from the West Point Mud Run!

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 12-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #12865
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
Made it home safe

About 1/4 mile on the second trail, I managed to have the front tire wash out on me and send me flying to the right. The bad part of it was that I landed head first against a nice earth berm. I think my EXO-400 has reached the end of it's lifetime now. I have a good headache but otherwise feel fine.

Scratched the crash bars again, broke the right hand guard, right turn signal and managed to crack the glass in the right mirror. When I was leaving the bike I somehow managed to turn on the hazard lights which I thought was a neat trick.

After the nice man with the KLR hack helped me get my self and my bike standing, I decided that it was time to quit and go home. Had to power wash myself along with the wee, when I got to the car wash.

You can see exactly how I landed by the mud on the helmet.

jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #12866
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Just got back from MOB's about 30 minutes ago, helping to load some bikes in the box van and winch his non-running GMC up on the trailer. Many thanks to Rick, Blooch, Greg, Chuck, Mike, and a "new guy" (that I can't remember his name) with the Strom that had an oil leak with helping on the bikes. Who did I forget?? Couldn't have done it without your help (thank you!!) - and - trust your venture into the mudlands after you left were uneventful and ya'll made it out safe and sound without being draped across the hood of some nutszo hunter's truck.

Was a little nervous about getting the rig backed into the driveway. Musta lucked out 'cause I got it in straight and true on the first attempt. 10 feet longer and the nose of the truck would have been in the street.

Time to shed my insulated coveralls, drink a beer, feed the dog, and figure out what's for din-din.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #12867
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr View Post
I'm waiting on a ride report from the West Point Mud Run!

Jimmy
Rctr
Chuck took lots of video today.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #12868
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Ride today...

Didn't take too many pics, it seems both hands were needed most of the time...
anyway, the day started at MOBs for a four bike load up. For once I was on time....
10:30....Guy, higworld, blooch already there....

Rich had engineered some really slick pallet mounting systems with wheel chocks...
it wasn't much work with all the help but I took notes on his ideas
Not much time for coffee & donuts....I managed one of each...

The empty MOB man cave ADVers will take a pic of anything....

Not sure where this sign came from but I hope we are going there

We chatted briefly and headed out minus our buddy's MOB, Guy & Blooch for some dirty fun in West Point.
skychs led us to the rally point and the gang was assembled....quite a crew for a nice Dec. ride.....

Here is the entry to the good stuff....looks easy right, fun awaits

Again I only stopped once for pics so I hope Chuck got the goods on GoPro
Sorry Eddie I did not get a good shot of you like I said....

We''ll call hime 'One bag' .....the nap that broke the side bag mount was a graceful 720 pirouette...

dirtdoctor

skychs

On the return run I took off and didn't look back, that 5 mile stretch at speed demands attention

It was GREAT to get out today and play, I needed that. Good to meet some new guys, Steve on the KLR, higworld and the dude with NJ plates...
special thanks to our fearless leader JHVA
I didn't see what happend to Jeremy but from the sound of his post above, he's ok.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 07:04 PM
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #12869
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
To all the mud riders today I had a great time even though I busted off one of my panniers. Thanks to VACommuter for carrying it for me on his hack. The CC Road was slick today and muddy (that's an understatement). Last run of the day I allowed my right leg to get bent back and jammed between the ground and the frame of the bike. Hurt like a mofo. Note to self: Don't do that! Also thanks to Eddy for the medical advice. Took the meds and have my knee iced. Thanks to Chuck for helping everyone that needed it. Hope everyone had a good time exploring King and Queen County today!

cheers,

j
Absolutely! Thanks to all for putting up with this noob. I hadn't realized just how tiring it was. The more tired and rubber legged, the harder it was. But I learned much and had a great time. Great to meet those of you I hadn't yet met.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #12870
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
Great ride. The sun was out and you could hear the birds chirping and the soft thwumps of Beemers going down in the mud. I didn't go down, but it wasn't due to skill. It was the blessed third wheel. How I love that thing. Had a great time even when Caroline County Jonny Law pulled me over. I could see him following me for about 5 miles. I was watching my speed and being careful. Then the lights come on. In my haste to get home before dark I neglected to de-mud my license plate. I cleaned it up while he ran my info and he let me off with a warning. Nice to meet you fellas!

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote