Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #661
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...Image1#quickMM

awww shiiiit ... just when I thought the Baja 5T was the holy grail in big scale, Losi comes up with this! Maybe I can afford one in another year or two, meanwhile I think I might have some ideas on what to do with my huge front yard
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #662
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,617
LOL I was looking up the link for my truck for a couple posts back, when the front page of thier website was this:
http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/6407xo1
I thought my 4-tec was fast when it first came out...
This thing??? Ridiculous...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #663
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,447
I love to read the forums , such as the Jang runs , to read thier point of view on models. Like in the video , it says it is essentially a stretched slask chassis , with redesigned slipper clutch and redisigned axles. That would mean that it essential has noting to do with the slash , because everything has been redesigned.
I would love to have one of these , just for the novelty of it being faster than my wifes car ! But it looks as though the price is gonna be north of $1000.00 and that Traxxas app is rumored to be $80.00 alone. I will spend that money and a Losi 5iveT , 5th scale short course truck would be cool as hell , and alot more places for me to run it.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #664
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,374
Would you buy a used 2x4 Stampede with extra wheels and such for $100? I would need to buy my own charger. Seller has a charger he is keeping so he can charge the battery and demo.

I know it does not have a brushless motor.

B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #665
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
LOL I was looking up the link for my truck for a couple posts back, when the front page of thier website was this:
http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/6407xo1
I thought my 4-tec was fast when it first came out...
This thing??? Ridiculous...
I'm afraid of that thing. My LHS is filled with lots of kids that get VXL powered Slash 4x4's and completely hammer them on the track. While the price does it put it out of the range for some of the kids' parents, I certainly envision some parents buying them for their sweet little 10 year old. Maybe I'll have to start wearing MX boots to the track for safety.
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #666
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Would you buy a used 2x4 Stampede with extra wheels and such for $100? I would need to buy my own charger. Seller has a charger he is keeping so he can charge the battery and demo.

I know it does not have a brushless motor.

If it looks to be in good shape and runs , why not. Cheap way to get into R/C , and you can get the learning bumps and bangs out of it before upgrading to something more expensive
Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #667
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
If it looks to be in good shape and runs , why not. Cheap way to get into R/C , and you can get the learning bumps and bangs out of it before upgrading to something more expensive
So really, how much a difference between this and the brushless 4x4 stampede? Whole nother world, or the law of diminishing returns?

1150gs vs. 1200gs or klr vs. 1200gs?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #668
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,488
The minis, 1/16 and 1/18 scale really do a need a more groomed surface. The first thing to sort out is budget. If it can support a 4X4 Pede, I can guarantee you would enjoy it. If not a 2wd Pede of the brushless variety. If you go with a used truck, you can find good deals (like you posted) on the XL5 brushed trucks. You can convert these to a BL set up with either a Traxxas systems ($157!) or as I did with the red Pede a Hobbywing 60amp ESC and Tacon 3200KV motor from Hobby Partz for about 1/2 the cost of the Traxxas system. Every bit as good, but it is not water proof. You would also need to make sure all three tranny gears are up graded to VXL parts which is inexpensive and easy to do.

Here is a Traxxas 2wd tranny apart to up grade the idler gear (middle) and diff gear (bottom). The parts are inexpensive.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGZ3&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSHA2&P=Z

This is what you get putting brushless power through a tranny with out steel gears.

As was stated earlier you can hook up most chargers to any 12 volt car battery. Even better is if you have a deep cycle battery for a trolling motor or such, just charge it up and bring it with you. You can charge a whole lot of Rc batteries off a good deep cycle battery.

My Traxxas vehicles. Left to right - Bandit, 1/16 E-Revo VXL, 2WD Stampede, 4WD Stampede

RC Pilot screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 06:54 AM
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #669
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
I'm afraid of that thing. My LHS is filled with lots of kids that get VXL powered Slash 4x4's and completely hammer them on the track. While the price does it put it out of the range for some of the kids' parents, I certainly envision some parents buying them for their sweet little 10 year old. Maybe I'll have to start wearing MX boots to the track for safety.
Most folks won't have a place that offers enough open, clean area to really run effectively with that kind of speed...seems like overkill.

Imagine hitting a small piece of gravel or crack/bump at 100mph with that car...you better have mad skills and luck on your side to keep it away from curbs, walls, etc.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #670
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Most folks won't have a place that offers enough open, clean area to really run effectively with that kind of speed...seems like overkill.

Imagine hitting a small piece of gravel or crack/bump at 100mph with that car...you better have mad skills and luck on your side to keep it away from curbs, walls, etc.
Exactly, kind of funny it's called XO for experts only but from a company that largely caters to the person just entering the hobby grade r/c world.

And this I why I'm specifically afraid. Local Hobby shop is at the end of this big plaza. Crossing the back section of parking lot from the track and the back entrance of the store can be dangerous when some of the kids are out there with VXL Stampedes and 3s battery packs...

View Larger Map
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #671
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Okay,
I'm a bit queesy from dropping so much on a "toy" but I am home with a brand new 4x4 Stampede vxl.

I can't wait for Christmas, you know... so the boy can play

Need to pick up an extra battery or two. Recommendations for run time and performance?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #672
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Quote:
Okay,
I'm a bit queesy from dropping so much on a "toy" but I am home with a brand new 4x4 Stampede vxl.

I can't wait for Christmas, you know... so the boy can play

Need to pick up an extra battery or two. Recommendations for run time and performance?
Guarantee you will have one for yourself once you realize the fun to be had. I think you guys have talked me into a 'Pede , I live in an area where I have endless possibilities off road , so I think it would fit the bill. Have fun , your boy is gonna have a blast with it .
Old 12-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #673
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Guarantee you will have one for yourself once you realize the fun to be had. I think you guys have talked me into a 'Pede , I live in an area where I have endless possibilities off road , so I think it would fit the bill. Have fun , your boy is gonna have a blast with it .

Ya, watching youtube videos has me curious too. Not sure I'll get my own but if he loses interest I think I will still play with it.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #674
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,488
Quote:
Not sure I'll get my own................
Update us on that thought in a month or so.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #675
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Update us on that thought in a month or so.
Ya, Wannabe planted a seed. Now I'm thinking that $100 used Stampede 2x4 would be good for me and I just bought a charger anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: