Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #61
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
No decompression device shown in the parts catalog. I have not checked valve clearance on mine yet, so can't speak from experience.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #62
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Do these motors use auto decomps on the camshafts?
No
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #63
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,243
Alrighty - sorry for the delay - Went out and did over 3k on the other bike last week up through CA, OR, and WA.

I couldn't check the spark timing earlier b/c the timing gun I have (borrowed) needs a spark plug wire. It doesn't work on my bike b/c there really isn't one, as the coil is a stick type to which the plug is directly connected. The wires are numbered, as are the plug holes, so no way to fuck that up, though I did switch them out just for kicks once (w/o success).

sanjoh is right - no auto decomp's.

Anyway, like I said, just came home - garage is a mess - I deploy soon and spent a lot on vacations these last 2 weeks, especially since the BMW broke down on the road and needed a fuel pump, so financially, this project won't be getting much else anytime soon. I'll mess with it later on, perhaps.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #64
tex_downey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Great to hear advice - thank you. Very clear and concise.

I haven't done a leak down test, nor have I checked the valve clearance - I'll look into those.

As to the other specifics - I didn't move the cams at all. I did check them though, and all the marks line up exactly.

The compression gauge is brand new - cost around $40. Definitely not top of the line, and unproven. I initially did the checks with throttles closed, which yielded about 60 PSI - I rechecked with throttles open and got 70 after I noticed that detail in the manual.

Anyway, thanks again.

UPDATE: I don't (yet) have the specific leak down gauge, but interestingly enough, if the motor is turned by hand with the compression gauge hooked up, NO PRESSURE registers on the gauge for either cylinder. I don't know if it's b/c the pressure isn't building up at all, or the check valve is just too strong. Any thoughts???

Id say trust it. I know its no fun to hear. but hey this was a few months ago anything new?
tex_downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #65
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_downey View Post
Id say trust it. I know its no fun to hear. but hey this was a few months ago anything new?
The only thing I've done lately is checked the computer for codes - but no help there.

I've been super swamped with work, and I'm deploying in less than a month, so this will probably sit for a long time unless someone wants to take the reigns.

Thinking about it recently though, I think the rings are the culprit. I put it all back together already, but I think I need to pull it all back apart. The rings are basically fused in place - not loose as they should be. I was going to pull them off, but I couldn't even do that. They slid back into the cylinder with no compression at all. I don't know what I was thinking earlier - I should have looked into that more, but I guess I'm a moron, so I'll deal with it later.

New rings, and gaskets, and I think that'll do the trick.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #66
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:

Thinking about it recently though, I think the rings are the culprit. I put it all back together already, but I think I need to pull it all back apart. The rings are basically fused in place - not loose as they should be. I was going to pull them off, but I couldn't even do that. They slid back into the cylinder with no compression at all. I don't know what I was thinking earlier - I should have looked into that more, but I guess I'm a moron, so I'll deal with it later.

New rings, and gaskets, and I think that'll do the trick.
That'll do it

You'll be back on the road in no time now you've found the problem
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #67
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well, I got her to start today after new pistons/rings...

More to come.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #68
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Well - we're back in business! Looks like the piston rings seized into place and the lack of suction wasn't getting the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder, then not compressing. She's running well now... finally.

Thanks to all for the input and help over the last months.

The new intake makes her run better than before, though the fueling above 8k rpm still isn't perfect. A Dyno would fix that, but she honestly doesn't need it and I'm pretty much done with her now as I'm outta time!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #69
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
[QUOTE=Krasniewski:

The new intake makes her run better than before, though the fueling above 8k rpm still isn't perfect.

[/QUOTE]

Could you show us some pictures of your intake with air filters?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #70
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
Could you show us some pictures of your intake with air filters?

Thanks

Well, I'll show you what I have...

Taken from page 2, you have a pic of the spine and throttle bodies - one has a JB Weld stick putty to close the gap, (which is far from optimal as it doesn't allow for flex and vibration absorbtion)...

...and the other has a 90 degree PVC bend wrapped in a long strip of rubber, so keep it air/water tight.

Sorry - didn't take pics of the finished product.

Off the back I welded on a tube, and put a foam filter on the end. Ideally, it would be enclosed in an airbox so the back wheel wouldn't cover it in dirt.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #71
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
well, we kinda let you down bud, sorry.

Looking back in hindsight, its obvious that the rings are stuck in the picture you posted. We should have caught that.

Glad its sorted now, be safe overseas and thanks!

Quote:
Discuss:

Quote:
Well - we're back in business! Looks like the piston rings seized into place and the lack of suction wasn't getting the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder, then not compressing. She's running well now... finally.

Thanks to all for the input and help over the last months.

The new intake makes her run better than before, though the fueling above 8k rpm still isn't perfect. A Dyno would fix that, but she honestly doesn't need it and I'm pretty much done with her now as I'm outta time!
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #72
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
well, we kinda let you down bud, sorry.
Not at all, man. It's so hard to diagnose something from a picture - hard to have any expectations really. The rings didn't look right to me at all - I should have pointed it out.

On the contrary - the only reason this actually got started, let alone finished, is thanks to the interest online.

Good times.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #73
tex_downey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
glad you got it.

and the pics are a dead give away. opps.
tex_downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #74
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Any news on this? How's she doin?
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #75
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Funny you should ask - just flew off the USS Abe Lincoln today - holed up in NM for the night - should get home tomorrow! So long as she fires up again, I'll keep working on her - I'll post updates as they come.

I haven't been home since December, so I've got lots to catch up on!