Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #5386
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 962
Hey Trice: thanks also for the link to Manuel A. Bravo's Pictures!
Two of my favorite thing's old black & whites, & Mexico..... perfect....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #5387
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
LA CAMA DE PIEDRA asi cantaba mi CUCO 0:58

Por cruz mis dobles cananas

Bato screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 03:58 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #5388
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Hey Trice: thanks also for the link to Manuel A. Bravo's Pictures!
Two of my favorite thing's old black & whites, & Mexico..... perfect....

You might be interested in the "famed chronicler of the Mexican Revolution", Agustin Casasola.

Many of his b/w photographs would make great framed art

This one is particularly well known:

Emiliano Zapata by Agustin Casasola
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #5389
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

PS I bought a ton of Butler maps...tell me I'm not the first to propose a Mexico version
I'm told that Eakins works for them. It's a conversation I'm waiting to have when I finally meet him.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #5390
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Get this one

OK, so I can get this one, it's available on Amazon and is a very nice looking publication indeed. Of course my Spanish vocabulary is comprised of around ten words, none of which would be helpful when seeking directions. I see myself standing next to my bike staring at one of the maps and a local who is standing next to me is doing his best to help out. He can read whatever the text says, he understands Spanish. So he turns and looking me straight in the eyes says "&$&*((_&*%%$" and points at the map. I thank him, throw a leg over the bike and ride off. In the background I sense that he is gesturing wildly and pointing in the opposite direction. I like him. He likes me. We should go have a beer or two. Entertainment value aside is there a reason for not having this same publication in English? Let me guess; it's so the local guy can read the thing and by virtue of that render assistance. In Spanish. If it were in English we'd both be staring dumbfounded at it in which case we'd end up drinking beers? This is going to be a lot more fun than I thought it might, especially considering all those beers.

LL
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #5391
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,630
Well, Larry, at least you got realistic expectations. That's about how it goes for awhile. All I can say is figure out what izquierda, derecho, and derecha mean. Vuelta, as well. And go from there. Just remember that most Mexicanos rarely travel far from home and have only a vague idea where places are beyond a short distance. But they will help you the best they can, anyway.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #5392
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
OK, so I can get this one, it's available on Amazon and is a very nice looking publication indeed. Of course my Spanish vocabulary is comprised of around ten words, none of which would be helpful when seeking directions. I see myself standing next to my bike staring at one of the maps and a local who is standing next to me is doing his best to help out. He can read whatever the text says, he understands Spanish. So he turns and looking me straight in the eyes says "&$&*((_&*%%$" and points at the map. I thank him, throw a leg over the bike and ride off. In the background I sense that he is gesturing wildly and pointing in the opposite direction. I like him. He likes me. We should go have a beer or two. Entertainment value aside is there a reason for not having this same publication in English? Let me guess; it's so the local guy can read the thing and by virtue of that render assistance. In Spanish. If it were in English we'd both be staring dumbfounded at it in which case we'd end up drinking beers? This is going to be a lot more fun than I thought it might, especially considering all those beers.

LL
My guess it that it is because it is a Mexican publication and the publisher has not been inclined to publish an English version.

WeazyBuddha screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 06:06 AM Reason: grammar fix
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #5393
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
I own this map (the 2010 version) and I can guarantee you that the town names are spelled the same for both the english and spanish reader. Pronunciation may vary, however.

There's some other stuff in the map, but you'll be looking at the same squiggly lines as any other map.

There are no captions in guia like "There be narcos aqui" that you have to worry about.

My navigation method is pretty much use a GPS to know where you're AT, and use a atlas / map / lonely planet guide to know where you're GOING.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #5394
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Entertainment value aside is there a reason for not having this same publication in English?
Because it's a map.

You're not going to be eating a hamburguesa somewhere and complain to the waiter that it doesn't taste like a Big Mac, are ya?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #5395
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Photo Serendipity

In chasing around researching interesting b/w photos of Old Mexico, I found another by Agustin Casasola, but in that process I found a website dedicated to the history of the Huarache.

Here is the link to the Huarache Blog. I think some of you will find it interesting.

Photo by Agustin Casasola
Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #5396
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,724
As Tricepilot said; "Its a map".

All you want is place names, road numbers, and a graphic representation of direction and distance. Language doesn't matter. Distances and velocity are in kilometers and kilometers per hour. You do understand kilometers ? If not just take miles and multiply by .6. Thats close enough.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #5397
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Quechua rock ....

ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #5398
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Because it's a map.

You're not going to be eating a hamburguesa somewhere and complain to the waiter that it doesn't taste like a Big Mac, are ya?
They don't? You sure about that? Jeeze maybe I should stay home, it doesn't sound safe to me.

LL75
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #5399
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
As Tricepilot said; "Its a map".

All you want is place names, road numbers, and a graphic representation of direction and distance. Language doesn't matter. Distances and velocity are in kilometers and kilometers per hour. You do understand kilometers ? If not just take miles and multiply by .6. Thats close enough.
There's a lot more included in the Atlas than just lines & distances which is why I asked. Didn't mean to offend anyone, was just curious. Kilometers...? WTF are those?

LL75
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #5400
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Guia Roji has some errors, use with caution if you are heading off the cuotas and usual routes.

If Eakins comes over I want to keep him busy here for a little while checking out some areas.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote