Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Funny.

But I like it.
Can't wait to see one in person.
The whole facet/wedge/stealth shaping trend jumped the shark a decade ago - it almost pains me to see it in just about every new exhaust system too.

Sometimes I wish I never got my MA in Industrial design....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #92
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
The whole facet/wedge/stealth shaping trend jumped the shark a decade ago - it almost pains me to see it in just about every new exhaust system too.

Sometimes I wish I never got my MA in Industrial design....
It makes the Dorsoduro and the Hypermotard look like a middle school student design.

The Strada is actually more interesting than the Nuda, although it doesn't use the twin motor. Too bad on that department.

But I will give you the Moab as a failed exercise in design.

BTW, I do not need a degree in industrial design to like or dislike a motorcycle design.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #93
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
BTW, I do not need a degree in industrial design to like or dislike a motorcycle design.
Of course you don't, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Remember the Pontiac Aztec....?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #94
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
The whole facet/wedge/stealth shaping trend jumped the shark a decade ago
The most faceted/wedgy bike I can think of is the KTM RC8 and it's not nearly a decade old. "Design-house" Ducati was still running with the 916 derived bike.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #95
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
The most faceted/wedgy bike I can think of is the KTM RC8 and it's not nearly a decade old. "Design-house" Ducati was still running with the 916 derived bike.
You're right, that style is older than 10 yrs ago- sadly.

Only it wasn't adopted by motorcycle designers until later, say around the time of the Futura- which was shown to the public 10 yrs ago.

"The bike's large, angular shape divided critics: some thought it was innovative and made it "look like an F-117"[2] while others said it was just too bulky. With its hard-shelled panniers, the Futura was intended to compete with the similarly styled Honda VFR800 [3], but poor sales and Aprilia's worsening financial position led to the Futura's demise. Production ended in 2003, although the bike remained in the range until 2005."

Zodiac screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 07:26 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #96
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Of course you don't, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Remember the Pontiac Aztec....?
Yeah, what about it?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #97
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Yeah, what about it?

iss Saul Good man.....

The Pontiac Aztek was a mid-size crossover, the first offered by General Motors, that was produced by Pontiac from the 2001 model year to the 2005 model year. The Aztek was heavily criticized on its exterior styling, with Time magazine in 2007 calling the Aztek one of the worst cars of all time,[1] and again in 2010 as the 34th worst invention of all time.[2] A poll in The Daily Telegraph in August 2008 placed the Aztek at number one of the "100 ugliest cars" of all time.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #98
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
iss Saul Good man.....

The Pontiac Aztek was a mid-size crossover, the first offered by General Motors, that was produced by Pontiac from the 2001 model year to the 2005 model year. The Aztek was heavily criticized on its exterior styling, with Time magazine in 2007 calling the Aztek one of the worst cars of all time,[1] and again in 2010 as the 34th worst invention of all time.[2] A poll in The Daily Telegraph in August 2008 placed the Aztek at number one of the "100 ugliest cars" of all time.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek
I don't get it... what has the Aztek got to do with the Nuda? You are not seriously suggesting the two are comparable as far as design issues go?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #99
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
I don't get it... what has the Aztek got to do with the Nuda? You are not seriously suggesting the two are comparable as far as design issues go?
I certainly am. It's from the same school of design i.e. the wedge/stealth/facet style of 3D.

"Curves bad - pointy, edgy, sharp angles good"

This design became apparent in some forms around the mid 90s once the Stealth (fighter) bomber was used in anger during the first Gulf war, and celebrated for it's new profiles by the design world.

Read up on Industrial design trends and their origins, the archives are there if you do some digging. They may not look alike (the aztec and the nuda) but they certainly share design elements for obvious reasons.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #100
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
I certainly am. It's from the same school of design i.e. the wedge/stealth/facet style of 3D.

"Curves bad - pointy, edgy, sharp angles good"

This design became apparent in some forms around the mid 90s once the Stealth (fighter) bomber was used in anger during the first Gulf war, and celebrated for it's new profiles by the design world.

Read up on Industrial design trends and their origins, the archives are there if you do some digging. They may not look alike (the aztec and the nuda) but they certainly share design elements for obvious reasons.
None of that matters in the least - the angular surfaces are just one design element, what matters at the end is execution and the whole. All the Husq bikes have a similar design language, with flat, opaque surfaces.

The Atzek was awkward, goofy and disproportionate. The Nuda is exactly the opposite; it is essential, minimal and it suggests lightweight and agility. It is essential for the brand to continue the development of their identity. These are the cues the bike's intended audience is supposed to pick up on, and I am guessing that audience is not you.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #101
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
None of that matters in the least - the angular surfaces are just one design element, what matters at the end is execution and the whole. All the Husq bikes have a similar design language, with flat, opaque surfaces.

The Atzek was awkward, goofy and disproportionate. The Nuda is exactly the opposite; it is essential, minimal and it suggests lightweight and agility. It is essential for the brand to continue the development of their identity. These are the cues the bike's intended audience is supposed to pick up on, and I am guessing that audience is not you.
It matters greatly, I disagree completely that it doesn't matter. The design elements are born from the same aesthetic and style. There are quite a few similarities in their surfaces and sculpture.

Of course the Aztec is a bloated dated exercise in stealth design compared to a decade+ newer motorcycle design. For whatever it's worth I'll agree it's already a stretch to compare a motorcycle's design to an auto. But that doesn't mean they're not from the same style animal, or from the same visual ideation. They share design cues pure and simple. like looking at the resemblance in an old man and his grandchild. But a family look nonetheless.

BTW many good design (transportation) houses have figured out that constantly changing faces for as you say - -
Quote:
essential for the brand to continue the development of their identity
- - isn't such a great idea. This is why you can tell a Mercedes or a BMW, Volvo, Saab, Fiat, etc from a mile away... Whether it's from the 1960s or today - you can tell the brand. You actually see it's lineage, it's family features. This is the failure in most Japanese design. They're constantly chasing someone else's look or trend aesthetic. So they look completely different every 10 years. People (as a whole) seem to like timeless more so then trendiness.

Zodiac screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 05:04 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #102
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
I had a bunch of Huskys back in the 70's and they were/are beautiful bikes. I also like the Nuda, but I may be predjudiced as I also have a fondness for my futura Dorso 1200 or Husky 900?? will be next in the stable if they bring it to the US.

bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #103
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
You're right, that style is older than 10 yrs ago- sadly.

Only it wasn't adopted by motorcycle designers until later, say around the time of the Futura- which was shown to the public 10 yrs ago.
I'd forgotten about the Futura and Caponord though they aren't nearly as angular as KTM. I guess the early Katana would qualify.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #104
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
I had a bunch of Huskys back in the 70's and they were/are beautiful bikes. I also like the Nuda, but I may be predjudiced as I also have a fondness for my futura Dorso 1200 or Husky 900?? will be next in the stable if they bring it to the US.

I actually like the Futura, great riding bike too. I think as wedge design goes it was executed well, and proportionally clean.

Great bike!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #105
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
the only thing uglier than that thing was a AMC Pacer and my kindergarten teacher Miss Toye with her greasy hair
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote