Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #5431
Markkit
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In chasing around researching interesting b/w photos of Old Mexico, I found another by Agustin Casasola, but in that process I found a website dedicated to the history of the Huarache.

Here is the link to the Huarache Blog. I think some of you will find it interesting.

Photo by Agustin Casasola
Ha! Thats my blog! Thanks for the link.

I must add that having ridden my DR650 from Portland, Oregon in to Mexico down and beyond Guadalajara to Michoacan the summer of 2010, despite the warnings by the US border agents in Presidio Texas, I found it quite safe. Mostly the roads were very light in traffic and Mexicans drive quite slowly so it felt safe. In tight traffic city situations I felt it was probably easier on my bike to weave out of a tight spot than if had been in a car. Many Mexican drivers are also quite courteous and will drive as far to the side of the road as possible to let you pass with oncoming traffic.

I got lost a few times trying the smaller roads and asked for directions and the locals were quite helpful. I was pulled over only once entering Guadalajara by a bike cop, but although not friendly he didn't try and fine me after he checked all my paperwork.

The only thing I was weary of were the odd horse walking on the road.

There are some photos of my bike trip to Mexico on my blog www.mexicanhuaracheodyssey.wordpress.com

Markkit screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 11:37 AM Reason: adding more specific link to motorcycle travel in Mexico
Markkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #5432
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
dwj-Donnie

Looks like our friend dwj-Donnie is doing some nice riding in baja

Here his spot tracker

ADV-rider
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #5433
Bato
Studly Adventurer

OldSchool @Comfort Tx

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #5434
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
OldSchool @Comfort Tx

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Nice!

What tires are you running?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #5435
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,416

went the wrong way down a few one way streets until I got used to looking for signage in locations like this
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #5436
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Nice!

What tires are you running?
METZLER M77R
and LASERTEC325H149

Bike feels ok at 70mph
Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #5437
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkit View Post
Ha! Thats my blog! Thanks for the link.

I must add that having ridden my DR650 from Portland, Oregon in to Mexico down and beyond Guadalajara to Michoacan the summer of 2010, despite the warnings by the US border agents in Presidio Texas, I found it quite safe. Mostly the roads were very light in traffic and Mexicans drive quite slowly so it felt safe. In tight traffic city situations I felt it was probably easier on my bike to weave out of a tight spot than if had been in a car. Many Mexican drivers are also quite courteous and will drive as far to the side of the road as possible to let you pass with oncoming traffic.

I got lost a few times trying the smaller roads and asked for directions and the locals were quite helpful. I was pulled over only once entering Guadalajara by a bike cop, but although not friendly he didn't try and fine me after he checked all my paperwork.

The only thing I was weary of were the odd horse walking on the road.

There are some photos of my bike trip to Mexico on my blog www.mexicanhuaracheodyssey.wordpress.com

I hilighted in yellow some very remarkable comments about travel in Mexico. (Having just come back to the US from Mexico via Presidio, I laugh because a Presidio border agent told me the same thing).

I also thank you for another link (last line of your post) that will now cause me to lose the rest of this afternoon
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #5438
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
If you get off the really big highways you get to see the local countryside and some of the agricultural hazards .Notice the expert manner in which the strawbales have been built up and outward. Doubles the capacity of he truckIt also is a testimony to the expert knot tying skills.Nevertheless I try to stay a good length behind this kind of load

Yayyy! on second try I copied it from your post Trice Thanks.
I am struggling along with this stuff, something like feeling for dimes at the bottom of a pudle in the driveway with my work boots still on. The more I try the muddier it gets .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 09:49 AM Reason: reduce picture size
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #5439
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 302
Two things:

Time for a new tire on the back?

Can't remember what the 2nd item was. Oh yeah, man that's a big honking photo!

LL75

larrylarry75 screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 06:32 PM Reason: Memory kicked in
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #5440
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

went the wrong way down a few one way streets until I got used to looking for signage in locations like this
RED ARROWS means that street has passing preference (if you are riding on the street with WHITE/black ARROWS and you will cross the red arrow street, you need to make full stop, even if there is not any stop sign)

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #5441
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
RED ARROWS means that street has passing preference (if you are riding on the street with WHITE/black ARROWS and you will cross the red arrow street, you need to make full stop, even if there is not any stop sign)
That right there is a valuable "Mexico Safe(ty)" tip
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #5442
WakeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Had a meeting with the Travel Clinic on my college campus today. I wanted to see what immunizations they recommend for my upcoming Central America trip... After describing the various immunizations, the PA told me to stay away from roadside vendors. How the heck am I going to eat anything if I stay away from those delicious vendors?! Needless to say the conversation went down hill from that comment.

Just had to share. Also if anyone is interested I have a list of recommended vaccinations before entering Mexico/Central America.

-Alex
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #5443
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,871
Other than stuff like diarrhea type stuff, did the guy say anything about hepatitis ?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #5444
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,242
HI

Been down in Baja since last Tuesday. Having a ball! Other than the nitrogen in my shock deciding to exit at Coco´s Corner and someeone giving me a 100 peso coin things have been just about perfect! Well, except for this lousy weather!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #5445
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Old school rules!!

Who cares where you are, unless you are planning to stay you are not going to be there very long.

Whatever happened to folded up maps to use inside the Levis jacket to block the wind, a ski sweater, a Bell Magnum, Ray Bans, jeans, rodeo roper gloves, Red Wing slip on boots, a Zippo, some baling wire, chewing gum, a few pesos and traveling on $10 bucks a day, etc...?

Oh, wait, that's your modern day KLR pilot. LOL!
That is not true!!! I am on my KLR in Baja and spending almost $12 per day! I want a refund!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote