Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
I just Bought my third set or er6i's off eBay. The plug strain relief plastic broke and the wiring is getting flakey. I use a Cardo Scala G4 with the headphone modification. Unfortunately, the way I did mine leaves the er6i plug a bit exposed to helmet bumps. I will reinforce the strain relief on my new pair.

I suppose I could have gotten customs for the price of three sets of these, but....
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
I will second all the ER6i praise. mine have lasted quite a while, for earbuds. Purchased in 2009. Since then, the rubber shroud protecting the wire leading into the jack cracked. As a precaution, I wrapped it with electrical tape knowing this connection to be a common failure point among many a brand of headphones. No complaints! I removed the filters, they seem unnecessary and the phones seem to sound better and with the filters removed. I use the larger rubber flanges, and they wore out to a point where they would frequently become disconnected. Ordered 10 pairs of flanges straight from the manufacturer for around 10 bucks on amazon.

These phones see so much use particularly when I need a quiet study environment. Sad to see them discontinued.
Jinxed myself by posting this. Left channel wire began cutting out today. $50 MC5's on order. Will post results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #33
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sugru!

My son found this "magic hacker putty" online and I'm using it to beef up the strain relief on my new Etymotic ER6i set. I've also used it to fix the cracked strain relief on my previous set that was starting to cut in/out. With the Sugru putty, the strain relief is now solid and still flexible.

This stuff is very cool: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/e976/
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Hopefully I'm not going to jinx myself but....I've never had an issue with pulling a wire out etc. but the flanges do start to pull of and stay in the ear when I take the earplugs out. I have carried a pair of tweezers to get them out for a long time now. I have had pretty good luck using dental floss to try and secure them.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #35
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,973
I see the MC3's have an inline remote which is cool. Does it fall below the base of a full face helmet?

sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #36
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cry Nuked?

Who nuked my brother, John Ya-Ya. Was it John Many-Jars?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #37
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,497
I promised a follow-up on my MC5s.

The construction of these seems to be far more robust than the ER6i, a fact that is evidenced by Etymotic now offering a 2-year warranty with these IEMs. The cable is Kevlar-reinforced -- it is thicker and produces less interference when rubbing against a jacket. The cable connections leading to/from the buds are reinforced with rubber shrouds, a nice improvement over the weak connections on the ER6i. The buds themselves appear to be sturdier and heavier. They are of a completely different construction than the ER6.

The clip is removable and has a swivel joint where it attaches to the cable.

The phones are larger, and as some already mentioned, they will likely feel more obtrusive when using a motorcycle helmet. They are by no means too large for this purpose, however.

As for sound quality: The MC5's are very good, but I don't think they are as technically accurate as the outgoing ER6i. I think some considered the ER6i accurate to a fault in that their precise highs and mids meant modest sounding bass and perhaps not the best headphone for listening to hip-hop, dance, or electronic music. Personally, I appreciated the ER6i's honesty. I like listening to music the way it is meant to be heard, not with exaggerated bass.

While my MC5's are still burning in, I've noticed they sound cloudier than the ER6i. They do throw more bass and mid-range, but they sacrifice a portion of the ER6i's crystal clear highs in order to do so. As they burn-in, I'm confident that they will calibrate themselves. A quick EQ adjustment addressed this issue for me. Overall they are an acceptable replacement for the ER6i. They will almost certainly last longer. But if I had the money, I would've bought the ER3s, and I'll probably be replacing the MC5 with a better sounding model before my warranty is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #38
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
I see the MC3's have an inline remote which is cool. Does it fall below the base of a full face helmet?

I have the HF3 which is similar and yes the control just reaches below my Arai full face helmet.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #39
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
I promised a follow-up on my MC5s.

The construction of these seems to be far more robust than the ER6i, a fact that is evidenced by Etymotic now offering a 2-year warranty with these IEMs. The cable is Kevlar-reinforced -- it is thicker and produces less interference when rubbing against a jacket. The cable connections leading to/from the buds are reinforced with rubber shrouds, a nice improvement over the weak connections on the ER6i. The buds themselves appear to be sturdier and heavier. They are of a completely different construction than the ER6.

The clip is removable and has a swivel joint where it attaches to the cable.

The phones are larger, and as some already mentioned, they will likely feel more obtrusive when using a motorcycle helmet. They are by no means too large for this purpose, however.

As for sound quality: The MC5's are very good, but I don't think they are as technically accurate as the outgoing ER6i. I think some considered the ER6i accurate to a fault in that their precise highs and mids meant modest sounding bass and perhaps not the best headphone for listening to hip-hop, dance, or electronic music. Personally, I appreciated the ER6i's honesty. I like listening to music the way it is meant to be heard, not with exaggerated bass.

While my MC5's are still burning in, I've noticed they sound cloudier than the ER6i. They do throw more bass and mid-range, but they sacrifice a portion of the ER6i's crystal clear highs in order to do so. As they burn-in, I'm confident that they will calibrate themselves. A quick EQ adjustment addressed this issue for me. Overall they are an acceptable replacement for the ER6i. They will almost certainly last longer. But if I had the money, I would've bought the ER3s, and I'll probably be replacing the MC5 with a better sounding model before my warranty is up.
It sounds like you are somewhat of an audiophile, so I would suggest the next model up, HF
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #40
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
My son found this "magic hacker putty" online and I'm using it to beef up the strain relief on my new Etymotic ER6i set. I've also used it to fix the cracked strain relief on my previous set that was starting to cut in/out. With the Sugru putty, the strain relief is now solid and still flexible.

This stuff is very cool: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/e976/

Any word on how this worked on the repair? I have some frayed tubing where the wires enter the buds that I would like to reinforce. Please review...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #41
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post

Any word on how this worked on the repair? I have some frayed tubing where the wires enter the buds that I would like to reinforce. Please review...
I think I got stupid-lucky with the Sugru repairing my last set of ER6i's. They work fine now and don't cut out when I wiggle the cord as they did before. I just wadded some of the Sugru up around the existing crack in the strain relief and let it setup. I used a chunk about the size of two peas and it encapsulated the old strain relief fully. This stuff is fanstastic.

I may not have needed to buy a new set, but I had serious doubts as to whether I could save the old pair. So - I've got a spare set now.

I have way too many sets of earbuds. I took a business trip to Berlin this week and forgot to bring any headphones at all. I ended up buying a relatively cheap set at the Brookstone store in the airport. They will be my backup, backup set.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #42
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,372
Klipsch IMAGE S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Practical - yet slightly disgusting. My kind of idea. I'll give it a try.
I used lightweight fishing line. That might make it less disgusting for you. I even put a few teeny beads on mine so I could feel it when I was trying to locate the line to pull them out. I would wet mine by putting them up to my lips before insertion to get a really good seal. Pulling them out, though, was tough and the earphone would pull away from the little silicone flanges, leaving those in my ear, at times. So I'd have to dig around to gain purchase on those little fu*kers and try and get them out.

FWIW, I loved the ER6i buds but they would get very uncomfortable when used on long rides. Anybody tried these Klipsch units?

IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-...3465039&sr=1-3
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #43
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

I always lick mine when putting them in - if I don't they hurt like buggery putting them in and they don't sound as good.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #44
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I always lick mine when putting them in - if I don't they hurt like buggery putting them in and they don't sound as good.
Ewww...

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #45
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Ewww...

Trust me it works a treat....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple