Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #1546
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Hey Mark, been folowing from the get go, sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you're going to be ok.
Via Con Dios
Bob

BOBaloo22 screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 05:16 PM
BOBaloo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #1547
bsscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Mark,
I have really enjoyed your report and am glad you're ok. A get off close to home is bad enough but in Guatemala! Wow! Your are an inspiration to us here in the cold of Mid-America. Keep in mind, "we know that all things work for good......"
bsscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #1548
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 983
Mark, glad to read that you are OK from your get off. Crashing just isn't any fun, and while mine have been on bicycles (not yet on the moto - and I am not planning anytime soon), it's good to see that your injuries are minor. The time off in Antigua sounds like a wonderful idea. I have been kicking around the idea of learning more Spanish and luckily I have a personal tutor - my college aged daughter who is getting a degree in Spanish!

Good luck on the repair of the BMW. As others like to say here..."That'll buff out!"
Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #1549
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
weird having that huge rock right there. Are you sure you didn't target fixate on that huge thing

And it may have been said, but it looks like the crash bar is the thing that punctured your case..maybe not the best design. Are those BMW or aftermarket?

Have been replaying the get off in my mind. Target fixation... Do not think so as I was into the deep ditch prior to the rock.

I spoke with Frank today as he picked me up at the dealer. He said the roads in that area are made with crushed rock from the area that is very slippery and with a downhill left hander, sloping toward the ditch....... I probably did not "throttle out like I normally would".

It all happens very fast. I have 175,000 Miles of street riding in the past 6 years.... Never gone down on road until now

Yes I agree that the engine guard attach points into the lower engine block is a really bad design, but the F800 has no frame down low to attach to..... If you hit your crash guard, BMW or Aftermarket, the same thing happens. the rock was in the right place at the wrong time :eek Of course if it covered the ditch, I would have much more bike damage, and maybe more Radioman damage as well. Will get things sorted out in the next week on the bike....one way or another.

The lower engine case is certainly damaged ...... We know how long that could take, but I am hoping that once it is taken apart.... someone will be able to weld the breaks and get me back on the road. Will not know until next Tuesday.

Time to get started on more Spanish classes

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #1550
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I have enjoyed your posts and the pictures, sorry about your accident. Hope you get things sorted out soon, but sounds like you are making the best of it. Never hurts to learn a little more language that you can use, on the rest of your trip. Good luck keep your good attitude, that is the most important thing. It is an experience, so make th best of it.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #1551
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Tires

Mark, after reading Franks comments about tires and road condtions in Guatemala I was wondering what you plan on doing about that sliced tire on your bike. Are you going to try and replace it with a street or dualsport/ offroad tire? What about road conditions further south?
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #1552
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Heal up. Good luck with the bike. Glad you weren't more severly injured
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #1553
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
yeah, I think the rock saved you and the bike, by bouncing you out of the gutter and back into the road........now if a truck was riding your ass, maybe not so good, but if you would have dropped into the lower gully, you could have done a "high sider " which most likely would cause some frame bending to rider and machine......... on the full side of the glass.... the kids will be happy to hear you're going back to school

I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason".........go with the flow. Oh, one of the kids wanted to know if you were going to get a Christmas tree for your hotel room..............
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #1554
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
Oh, one of the kids wanted to know if you were going to get a Christmas tree for your hotel room..............
Depending on where I will be.... but will have to settle for Christmas trees and decorations all over the towns.

and I agree if the rock had blocked my path it could have been much worse. Unfortunately it did damage the engine case.... depending on what it looks like when they pull off the guards, and see how bad it is..... But will not know until Tuesday....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #1555
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPostal View Post
Mark, after reading Franks comments about tires and road condtions in Guatemala I was wondering what you plan on doing about that sliced tire on your bike. Are you going to try and replace it with a street or dualsport/ offroad tire? What about road conditions further south?
I will replace it with another tire, but have not yet decided what is available here. I will go with a dual sport tire.... It is always the same Tire life, grip of the tire, and price. They have Continentals at the dealer, but TKC's wear fast (not too bad in the front though). I have been hauling my spare rear Heidenau which I will put on somewhere soon.

Road conditions in central america and south will be a mix of pavement and rough gravel/dirt. I am more comfortable with the idea of a knobbie of some type.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #1556
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,607
Morning Mark!

Later on, you might contact Misery Goat for some tire info. He's been riding around in SA for a year and a half. Here's his on-going ride report.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #1557
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Hi Mark! Sorry for your mishap!! Best of luck in healing and getting the bike fixed!!

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #1558
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Morning Mark!

Later on, you might contact Misery Goat for some tire info. ride report.
I have followed him. I saw how long he rides on his tires

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #1559
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,476
Glad that you were not too baly banged up. That is one awful design for guards, might be better without them? Or modify them somehow? I hope the case is not FUBAR.
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #1560
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebiker View Post
Glad that you were not too baly banged up. That is one awful design for guards, might be better without them? Or modify them somehow? I hope the case is not FUBAR.
I agree. If I had just slid down the road it would have been ok, but front impact is bad. It might just be the right outside cover that is damaged but will not know until it gets taken apart....... Hopefully that is it.

Will just have to keep it upright from now on :)