Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #361
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I may have missed it, but are you planning on taking off the galvanization on the inside? Fire may not vaporize it like a welder will, but it'll burn it which may make a nasty mess under the paint.
I've been putting it off until the very end. The galvanized coating smells like a funky armpit when grinding. I plan on going back over the entire piece with a sanding disc and then degreaser before paint.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #362
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Once again, I dig into the scrap pile and pull out some 1" x 1/8" flat bar that was once X-braces for the shelving that I have turned into so many other things...

I grind off the powdercoat, cut 6 pieces to size, and then trim out the expanded metal for more rigidity and a finished look. I weld the expanded metal to the flatbar on the underside for a clean look. Once I decide on how to mount the stamped metal pieces and get them welded in place it will be time for paint.

Almost there...
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #363
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I start laying out the designs...

Then I drill 5/16" holes to plug weld from the rear...

Success! These pieces are very thin. I have a gauge that came with the welder, and there's a little bit of slop in the 24 gauge slot. 26 gauge maybe? I SLOWLY build up a tack from the inside. I am able to bridge the gap with one booger weld at a time. I blew through a couple pieces and had to do reconstructive surgery, but all went pretty well for not knowing what the heck I'm doing.

Rear view of the star's plug welds. I will grind these flush, prep for paint, and clean up any slag inside all at the same time.

After all welding is complete, I give everything a good inspection making sure all galvanizing compound is ground off, clean everything, and then shoot 3 coats of high-heat BBQ/stove paint that is rated for 1200 degrees F.

Done deal. Maybe I'll get lucky and she will absolutely hate it and then I can keep it for myself. Ha Ha!

I already have the next project lined up...

Turning the Swiss Cheese tractor into the Pope Mobile.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #364
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
firepit looks great!
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #365
trasko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Holy crap your ambition is inspiring. I would have turned those ornamental pieces into a puddle had I tried that...
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #366
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
looks great! i think she will love it!
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #367
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
firepit looks great!
Outstanding!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #368
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Outstanding!

Jim

Agreed! Great work
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #369
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Outstanding!

Jim
+100

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #370
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I start laying out the designs...
you don't think you'll need some stretchers between those legs?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #371
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I'm diggin' the Pope-mobile........weight and ventilation are my first two questions........bullet-proof glass can get heavy!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #372
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

The metal looks pretty gouged until the paint goes on! Ha Ha! Spraypaint covers a multitude of sin.

I'm hoping to start the frame on the Swiss Cheese Jubilee Edition 1 of 1 Pope Mobile today. I still have a good bit of angle left from the shelving unit I will use instead of tubing. It will be better for the frame around the doors, etc.

Rookie nephew of Rookie wanna-be is stopping by today to do some welding of his own, so I'll get some shots of his project as well.

Once the sun comes up and the kiddos are on the bus, I need to make some more space in the garage...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #373
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I'm diggin' the Pope-mobile........weight and ventilation are my first two questions........bullet-proof glass can get heavy!
Don't forget the lead shielded doors!!!

In all seriousness, Curtis Cab did make a cab for this model many moons ago. They are pretty hard to find (and expensive if you do find one) so I am building this very similar to what theirs are like. The biggest expense is going to be the plexi. I'm going to try to build it light, but heavy enough to last. For ventilation, there is a fan/radiator and a mesh panel at about shin level pulling air away from me, so there shouldn't be any CO fumes, unless they slip out of a cheese hole. Plus, I want to put a small slider on each door so someone can hand me coffee and cookies as payment for doing their driveway. I accept no cash!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #374
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasko View Post
Holy crap your ambition is inspiring. I would have turned those ornamental pieces into a puddle had I tried that...
I should have posted the goofs! I blew right through the cardinal's face and had to build it up and grind from the outside. Then I had to do one small tack the size of a BB for the eye and it actually worked!! I blew a hole through the buck's groin area and he looked pretty well endowed while I was trying to fix that goof. I was cracking up on that one. At least I know what to expect now on super thin stuff.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #375
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Well, I can blame it on Kirkster70!!

Since I have quite a collection of 2"x2"x1/8" angle Iron that my son salvaged for me from a completed construction project, I use it from time to time but finally a project came along that really was suited for it. If anyone is interested in the plans, I could post a link.

Essentially it's a 17" vise used for forming sheet metal panels. The three eye bolts are actually the clamp bolts for the top piece of angle iron. I welded some nuts on the framework and the eye bolts screw through them. It was a fun little project and when it gets warmer, I use some rattlecan paint on it. I also built a 24" sheet metal brake some years ago from some heavier angle & channel iron that I'll post pictures of sometime.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote