User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Hey Jimmy,

You and I have chatted over emails about this, but I"ll add my response to your question here.

I am definitely in, in one way or another, fun or serious, depending on how the finances will look at the time, and what experience I have amassed by then.

Like Doug above, rental bikes would be very good for me. I can make it to Vegas by car, but considering my limited time off, a fly-in, ride, fly-out scheme would be much preferred, if the rental was reasonable.

I agree with what you heard and repeated, it's what you've been doing over the past years, that amalgamated experience is not matched by anything that money can buy. My father always said that "experience is like a flashlight that you have that lights your way. Someone without it can stand right next to you, look in the same direction, but they'll just see darkness, while you see the bumps on the road ahead". So I'm interested in getting as much time on the saddle as possible, in as varied situations as possible, as often as possible. Count me in, one way or another.

Fabio Miguez.

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
[clip} The greatest impact was in doing the Safari Rally.
For those of us that followed your rally preperation and the event, this is an interesting choice of words.

Impact
  1. The impression or effect on a person from an idea or experience.
  2. The striking of one body against another as in a collision.
I hope you fully recover & get your bike back soon.

Cheers.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 08:25 AM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #18
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 497
The real trick in doing this is going to be two-fold. First making it so I don't lose my shirt in doing it because as anyone who has tried to do this before will attest, it takes massive amounts of preperation to just be set up to teach this type of class. And second making sure the course fits the wide skill and aspiration levels of the students. I can teach all levels but when it comes to the speed riders are looking to ride at, then there will be a large differance which I would not want to effect the quality of the training or become unsafe at any time.

I am lucky because I already have a facility that does rider training in a perfect location for this and that makes it somewhat easier. I already have a program developed that I used myself, trained a few other guys with and have refined over the years.

I have some really good contacts to help out and I'm looking to see what is possible. I have some feelers out on rental bikes and also on routes and logistical support as well.

I'm sure as Dakar gets closer and interest peaks there will be more interest as well but it is nice to know that there is this much already. It is looking pretty positive.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Jimy;

I am sure whatever and whenever the program you put together Jimmy, that it will be a worthwhile excercise for all involved. We look on, with regards the developments of this one with great interest...

TROY

Jimmy,

Charlie and Scott were gracious enough to let me participate in the 2007 edition of their DVR training (from Bishop to Yuma). Looking back, I think I'm the only participant who hasn't gone on to an official rallye somewhere (and the truth is, I was much (much) closer to one then, than I am now, due to the growth of my young family). That being the case, DVR was an absolutely epic adventure from an "enthusiast" standpoint. Anyone who participates in a similar event will be hooked (and may well go on to more "serious" endeavors than they ever imagined). The $64,000 (okay, break-even) question is whether there's sufficient US market to sustain such a business model.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
For those of us that followed your rally preperation and the event, this is an interesting choice of words.

Impact
  1. The impression or effect on a person from an idea or experience.
  2. The striking of one body against another as in a collision.
I hope you fully recover & get your bike back soon.

Cheers.

Ha. Accurrate on both definition 1 and 2

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Interested. Subscribed. PM'ed.

Will there be a specific class on budget, fundraising, and the beancounting side of things? How about one specifically tied to logistics and the like? If I were to seriously endeavor to something like this, those would be my weakpoints. I can ride, train my self physically, and can navigate some although I need practice - not training - over all else.

Would it be possible to only attend only classes like these(if part of the curriculum) and skip the riding training, etc?
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

That is a vital part of any rally preperation and actually the one that I would be least qualified to answer questions about. But I would like to have that addressed and I will make sure I have someone who is good at that handle that part of the program.

JIMMY
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
WildeBees
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wink Prep

Have been planning to go to the 2014 Dakar but need to focus next year on training and some other issues I do not know about... What would a typical year look like for the following:

1. Training
2. Riding Skills
3. Navigation
4. Logistics
5. Budget
6. ...

Would appreciate if we can make a list of issues to keep in mind and maybe expand them as the thread grows, Vegas is also unfortunately really on the other side of the world for me... ; )

?
WildeBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #24
Genghis Swan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
I know this is off topic and I wish you success with your new venture, however, I really prefer your editing style of Dirt Rider. Things just aren't the same there.
You have time to do both?
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

For anything DR, start another thread in general discussions and I will respond there. I would love to see what the ADV community thinks... or thinks they know about it becuase I love rumors too!

JIMMY
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #26
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 689
subscribed and interested

Lots of hopes and dreams here but with serious time, budget and talent restraints.

Nonetheless, a program such as this could be very exciting for a fella like me.

Keep the updates flowing.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #27
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,193
Jimmy, I sent you a email about a rally school in Feb and I think Chris Dennison (or RJ) is doin a great job by the way...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #28
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
For anything DR, start another thread in general discussions and I will respond there. I would love to see what the ADV community thinks... or thinks they know about it becuase I love rumors too!

JIMMY
Done, see here.

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,102
I would love to get in on this somehow. Was just talking to a friend about how to get to the Raid L'Amitie, this year.

I rode with you once Jimmy and have been trying to figure out how to do it again, since. Its high time Jason did an overseas thing and youre the best out there, as far as I'm concerned, no smoke up your ass intended.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Definitely interested.

Having attended several of Jimmy's classes over the years, I can say they are extremely worthwhile, whether you plan to race or not. This project sounds like a great time regardless

Subscribed...

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote