Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
svflyer OP
two wheeler

Oddometer: 113
High sided off a bridge (with pictures)

Thought I would post the pictures from the crash I had a few years ago. This happened July 1st, 2000.

It was a Saturday morning and I was coming home from the grounds keeper job I had at a golf course. The area in downtown Milwaukee that it happened is prone to stopped traffic during rush hour, the guess is that I probably hit a patch of oil or antifreeze. I over corrected the low side and consequently high sided at approximately 60 miles per hour. I hit the arrow sign across the lower back and broke the metal pole in half, then flew the 35 feet down and about 90 or 100 feet horizontally. I landed basically on my head and shoulder, broke a collarbone, couple of ribs, compound fractured left arm, smashed hip, broken pelvis, ruptured spleen, perforated colon, and pulled a nerve out of one of my vertebrae, losing the use of my left shoulder and bicep muscles. The hospital stay was a month with about six days in ICU in two different stretches, three days right away, then three days after they realized I had a perforated colon and had gotten peritonitis (basically an infection of the sack that all your internal organs are in). I was admitted at 190 lbs, when I got out a month later I weighed approximately 125 lbs.

The pictures are real, taken by three strangers behind me that were also on bikes. There is no way for them to get down to where I was so all they could do was call the cops and yell at me to stop writhing around.

The before:

My baby still up on the highway:

Literally 30 seconds after I hit the ground:

The first responders, would love to know what the conversation was at this point:

The ambulance shortly after:

From the parking lot:

A couple views of the flight:

The day I had the awesome torture devices removed:

Close up of the zipper:

Happy to be free of them and looking good at about 130 lbs.:

It took a few years but I'm back on the bike and with some amazing new friends from advrider. That single moment had the most impact of any in my adult life. It is still the worst and best thing that has ever happened to me. With out it my life wouldn't be what it is now, and I have no complaints with how things turned out. It taught me that I have the strength to overcome anything and that everyday needs to be lived to the fullest. It made me realize that life is about experiences, positive and negative, and how you negotiate through those experiences to come out stronger on the other end. I hope other advers can look at these pictures and realize that the obstacles in their lives can only hold them back if they let them, and that the adventure we are all looking for is worth it. Those two wheels have the ability to take us places we could never imagine.

svflyer screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 04:36 PM
svflyer is offline   Reply With Quote