Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Just guessing, is that the neutral and battery lights we see lit? In any event, these instruments do not seem to be clearly labeled.

Bad angle on that pic. The green is a big N and the red is an oil can.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #32
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
According to the article, the ABS cut-out and/or light is on the face of the tach.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #33
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
They are scammers and should have been kicked in the ass for even bringing such a frivolous lawsuit.

No reasonable person would overlook the fact that ABS brakes cost $1195.00. (if they had paid for it they would KNOW)

She is a lying bitch and should get NOTHING.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,423
15 months of owning and riding the bike,the owner still thought it had ABS? ABS costs more at purchase time, it would be on the sales bill. If the ABS light on the dash doesnt light up you dont have ABS,plain and simple. It would have never lit up in that 15 months. The lawyers won here and set a new bar for dumbshit owners of bikes who want to get some one else to pay for their stupidity. Too bad about the wife,Im guessing they were wearing the skull cap helmets as that is the uniform for a Harley rider. Not a good choice for protection. The *alleged* remark by the sales person happened or ?

I smell pure bullshit here.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #35
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Not sure if the dudes 2008 is the same:

#10 is the ABS light.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #36
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

No reasonable person would overlook the fact that ABS brakes cost $1195.00. (if they had paid for it they would KNOW)
Yeah... you're right. At least for a new bike and I think that is the situation in this case. But what about a used one? If your average HD rider is looking at a used bike and notices a cut-out in the tach that shows "ABS" and it doesn't light up, they could reasonably assume that it didn't light up because there is nothing wrong with the system. It seems just stupid for HD to claim they can't make different face-plates for the tach, depending on the equipment.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #37
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,568
? Outcome

How did the jury decide? Sorry if someone posted it already and I overlooked it.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Sticky situation for the HD lawyers. It would be nice to say that her crappy helmet caused the extensive injuries. But I'll be the crappy helmet is proudly adorned with the HD logo.
You can take all the shots you like at the motor company, but I'm pretty sure that any helmet with the HD logo on it will meet at least DOT standards.

Harley won't let just anybody use the logo to sell just about anything (almost anything, but helmets, I don't think so)!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #39
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
How did the jury decide? Sorry if someone posted it already and I overlooked it.
Not yet - from what I could find. Another article said the case went on for six weeks before going to the jury last Thursday. You would think they would want to come to a verdict before Christmas...
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #40
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I don't know about the HD ABS system, but on a Honda Silver Wing 600, they have the ABS light come on when the ignition is turned on and does not go out until the bike is doing at least 6 MPH. They even distinguish between ABS and non-ABS in the model #s. The non ABS is the FSC600 and the ABS is the FSC600A.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #41
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
You can take all the shots you like at the motor company, but I'm pretty sure that any helmet with the HD logo on it will meet at least DOT standards.

Harley won't let just anybody use the logo to sell just about anything (almost anything, but helmets, I don't think so)!
Unless things have changed in the last year or so, Harley's helmets are made by HJC.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #42
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i would of guessed she was using a half helmet / pudden ball ones and thought it would be safe and with the damage to her head there is no wonder a ban on them was put in to the uk years ago.

plus if he locked up the back wheel and then high side and sent his wife in to the air. it was his f@ck up for only using the rear brake to stop at speed and no thinking about using the front one. as most hd riders do.

it be easy to look at his bike or whats left of it and see if abs was fitted or not. as well as getting him to point to what he thought was an abs dash light.

he should of be done by the cops for careless riding.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #43
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Unless things have changed in the last year or so, Harley's helmets are made by HJC.

Some not all. But ALL are DOT or better.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #44
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
do you now if she was using a open face, full face or half helmet ??? any of them could be eu sharp rated or what ever the us rating is.

as for her skull to be smashed it sounds like it be a half helmet/ pudden ball ones she had on as they well only give the very low / no pertection to any thing but the very top of your head. it as shame for her to get messed up for her man not being able to ride a bike.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
If a bike has ABS and there is an emergency, you hit the brakes hard. Because you don't have to worry about them locking up, there is no problem with letting up on the brake if conditions allow it. A person who knows they have ABS will use them as intended. There is no reason to consider negative consequences of letting off the brake in mid-stop.

On a bike without ABS, you know that if you lock the rear, you must keep it locked. Letting off is the way to a high-side and propelling your wife 35 feet to her near death. You don't let up mid-stop. It is a different technique for different bikes.
Having ABS doesn't mean you can let go of the brakes mid-stop any more than not having ABS. ABS is only for preventing , and then marginally so, slides. It doesn't mean you can slam on the brakes whenever you want and not expect things to go badly.