User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #22516
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,512
I got in 67 miles today. Left the house on Savannah's southside and rode to the historic district and Chippewa Square (the one folks associate with Forrest Gump). Every Saturday, the ride leaves from the Perry Rubber bike shop at 0800, the owner supplies bagels and coffee to all who show up..during the summer, I've seen over 120 cyclists.

Today was about half that.

The Six Pence Pub usually stays busy, a bit early for a Guinness though...

After a quick safety briefing and info for the noobs (we'll break into groups by speed at the only stop six miles into the ride).

Some of the roads on the route are very lightly traveled and we have it to ourselves until the "Car Back!" call...

We travel on main roads (US 17) a few miles...the "bike lane" is usually unusable but we stay "as far to the right as practicable" per GA law.

I've ridden over 200 miles this week by the start of the ride, my legs were toast before we even started! I tried to bring a dropped rider back, but I waited too long....and then, had the ride to myself! (That's the peloton disappearing in the distance at 22-24mph...I'll never catch them)

Mitsubishi is building a HUGE plant to repair turbines, the 5 mile road going by the work site is deserted on weekends.

I met up with another dropped rider towards the end and we had a nice easy spin back to the historic district. I found out that he took up cycling in his 60's...and I thought I was late to the game by picking it up at 39!

It was a great day to ride, temps around 52 to start and 65 to finish.

Todays ride brings this weeks mileage to 271...tomorrow, I think I may squeeze a 29 mile ride in before strapping on the feedbag.

I hope your ride went as well as ours!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #22517
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Good idea: Skiing down ski slopes.

Sort of OK idea: Fatbiking down ski slopes.

Sort of like riding in sand, but with less feedback.

Dab....dab....OHFUCKWEREGOINGDOWN

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #22518
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
We travel on main roads (US 17) a few miles...the "bike lane" is usually unusable but we stay "as far to the right as practicable" per GA law.

What more people need to see is this pic. Lessee... we can single up and have a pack 1/4mi long OR we can take the entire lane and you only need to pass 100' of us.

Pick one.

Me? I don't see this as safe. Too stretched out. Someone's gonna try and pass the pack, get halfway up, realize that 'hey! There's my turn...' and problems are gonna happen.

OR someone's gonna come in from a side street...
OR someone's gonna try and pass into oncoming traffic (2 lane roads)
OR...

M
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #22519
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
I see your point of it being unsafe, but they aren't likely doing anything illegal. Most states/counties/municipalities allow riding two abreast on anything with more than one lane (and that's a two way road, even). Also, a bicycle is a legal vehicle, so you don't have to yield to a car if there is another lane for it to move around you. Check your local laws, of course.

That said, someone back home died a few months ago doing a road ride that was hit by a car. Twisty road and not a lot of visibility. My mom tells me about it every time I see her practically now.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #22520
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Good idea: Skiing down ski slopes.

Sort of OK idea: Fatbiking down ski slopes.

Sort of like riding in sand, but with less feedback.

Dab....dab....OHFUCKWEREGOINGDOWN

I hate snow, but I gotta admit that looks like fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #22521
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

So what kind of bicycling-related stuff did Santa bring you?

We haven't even opened presents, so I can't post up. I know there's at least something from Dept of Goods and something from Competetive Cyclist under my tree.

M
Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #22522
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

We haven't even opened presents, so I can't post up. I know there's at least something from Dept of Goods and something from Competetive Cyclist under my tree.

M
Same here, we're currently in a holding pattern waiting for the rest of the clan. Competitive Cyclist has some mad deals right now though. Any monies I get from the Fat Man might be going to them...
Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #22523
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,445
Quote:

M
Arrived a few days ago....

21 pounds....fairly light for a recumbent.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #22524
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,454
So breaking the hell out of my leg on my moto back in August renewed my interest in bicycles. I'm still prohibited from riding until mid-January, but have been riding the stationary bike and getting myself prepared for the return.

First, i needed a trail bike to get my singletrack fix. This ought to do it:

It's a 2009 Commencal Meta 6 with some nice upgrades. Been getting it adjusted to my liking and am really looking forward to trying it out.

I also wanted to try some mild dirt-jumping and really want to try the pump track for exercize. I started looking at bikes for this, then realized I already had a suitable bike. I bought this bike new back in '95 or so. I raced it a bit, beat it up doing "urban" riding, then stuck it in a shed and forgot about it. It's been partially assembled, spray-painted, and generally neglected for many years now. I wasn't sure if I could get it back up to snuff, but i'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far:

1995-ish Bontrager B29 24" cruiser. Made in Wisconsin with True Temper 4130 CR-MO. This bike is unique in that it has a long top tube to fit big guys. Should work really well for my intended use. I plan to upgrade and bling it out a bit. I'm very excited about this bike!
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #22525
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Wore the 150wt wool inner layer (bag from Dept of Goods) on a ride just now. I was overdressed. Oh well. I'm not stopping cause I'm too warm! Did 1:20-ish on the dirt roads round here at tempo or higher.

The other bag was some PRO overshoes. I *think* Mom got em a size big. I'll have to break em out of the bag and try em

M
Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #22526
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:

M
A new bike stand from Aldi that was only $AU 40

Does a good job.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #22527
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Looks good, but you want to do yourself a favor and only clamp on the seatposts. AL and Carbon can get fragile.

M
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #22528
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
so I scored some 700c fenders at a clearance sale, want to put them on my 700c hybrid commuter... said bike has some rather fat 38c tires on it, Specialized Nimbus... the fenders are barely as wide as the tread... ya think that will provide adequate coverage (I'm assuming most water and road flug comes off the tire center line), or should I pass these on to a bike that has skinnier tires and find something phatter for my hybrid ?

I've go the front mounted, and I see how I can get the rear to clear but havent' done the neccessary modding yet. I'll maybe take a couple pix later today.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #22529
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so I scored some 700c fenders at a clearance sale, want to put them on my 700c hybrid commuter... said bike has some rather fat 38c tires on it, Specialized Nimbus... the fenders are barely as wide as the tread... ya think that will provide adequate coverage (I'm assuming most water and road flug comes off the tire center line), or should I pass these on to a bike that has skinnier tires and find something phatter for my hybrid ?

I've go the front mounted, and I see how I can get the rear to clear but havent' done the neccessary modding yet. I'll maybe take a couple pix later today.
Generally, 10mm wider fender than actual tire width is what you're looking for. The problem isn't with stationary clearance, but, once you're moving the fenders will shudder/shake and intermittently touch the shoulders of the tread. I've run a 40mm Nokian 240 under a 45mm SKS fender. They do touch, upon bumps, but, nothing major. However, a 28mm Pasella won't work under a 37mm Velo Orange fender. There are too many variables in actual tire widths and diameters to know, for sure, what'll work.

Based on my experience with Specialized tires, some of their stuff ends up as much as 5mm wider than the sidewall sizing. Of course, we've crossed that bridge, in the past.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #22530
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Generally, 10mm wider fender than actual tire width is what you're looking for. The problem isn't with stationary clearance, but, once you're moving the fenders will shudder/shake and intermittently touch the shoulders of the tread. I've run a 40mm Nokian 240 under a 45mm SKS fender. They do touch, upon bumps, but, nothing major. However, a 28mm Pasella won't work under a 37mm Velo Orange fender. There are too many variables in actual tire widths and diameters to know, for sure, what'll work.

Based on my experience with Specialized tires, some of their stuff ends up as much as 5mm wider than the sidewall sizing. Of course, we've crossed that bridge, in the past.
fwiw, these are the plastic Planet Bike fenders. I am mounting the fenders about 6-10mm away from the tires, my concern was mostly with how much stuff comes off the sides of the tires vs off the middle. I guess I'll find out when I try them.

edit: and... turns out, they are 45mm wide fenders and with a bit of finessing fit just fine. phew. my primary motivation for fenders is the spring Strawberry Music Festival, when its often quite muddy and mucky. last year, I found myself having to ride really really slowly to keep the mud from coating me. hopefully with these fenders, I'm good to go.

pierce screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 01:40 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: