Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
donnh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Deby and Donn do Baja!

Itís Christmas evening, the presents are opened, dinner done, family gone home. My F800GS and Debyís G650Xcountry are tucked into the trailer. Tomorrow we leave for Baja! A storm is blowing into Seattle tonight so Iím glad we are towing the first 1,300 miles to the border for a Tecate crossing, maybe on Wednesday. Iíve spent way too much time obsessing on the bikes getting them ready for the trip, tires (TKC80s), new steering stabilizers, fluids, luggage, filters, tools and spare parts. Updated riding gear, boots, helmets and pants. Technology including updated Baja GPS maps, GPS60, netbook, iPad and iphone. Geesh, all this in the weeks before Christmas. Is the truck ready? No. Bald tires were replaced, ready for snow in the mountains of OR and Northern CA. Last thing to do tonight is start the ride report and send the link to friends and family who want to follow our journey.

Baja? Iíve never been there and am not sure what to expect. Iíve read pretty many ride reports and talked to friends who have been there so I have some idea what it will be like. After packing the big F800 I already know Iíll probably be wishing for my WR250. I realize now Iíll probably avoid the super single track sand and stick to the graded roads. Debyís 650 is much lighter and probably better suited for Baja but I think for the first trip weíll be taking it easy. The goals? Ride south. No reservations, only a rough plan, stop at Mike's Sky Ranch along the way, end up somewhere near La Paz and possibly meet Doug from Colorado Norton Works. Of course the goal of have fun, adventure and my main goal: don't crash.

Truck ready to go

Yikes Ė tight fit in the trailer

More to come - thanks for following.
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote