User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #1336
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Arrrgghh! Idiots at GoPro!

The new HD Hero2 looks like exactly what I want - extended battery pack, simple to use, inexpensive options for extra batteries, charge and use, USB interface, great quality video... AND NO F'N LOOP MODE!?!?

I'd buy two of them right now if they had loop mode - but to this day the VIO and the ChaseCam PDR are the only units I know of that have it.

It's so mind bogglingly simple to implement in the firmware and it's such an amazingly useful feature... what the heck is the deal?

I put a Hero2 in my online shopping cart as soon as I saw it thinking "surely in the second generation they'll have added the only thing that prevents the massive snore factor of having to sit through hours and hours of recording just to find the two good bits". But no, same old crap. That's what I always enjoy doing, coming home from a day long ride and sorting through 8 hours of video to find the 2 minute bit where I fell on my head.

Grrr grumble whine crotchety crochety snark babble... GET OFF MY LAWN GOPRO!

Seriously, why don't other manufacturers put that on their recorders? It's so blatantly obvious that it's an incredibly useful and time saving feature that it just seems insane. What am I missing?
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #1337
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Going loopy

I know it is a real drag. The GoPro2 has so many things going for it. I'm still teetering on buying one but if the loop function existed I would have taken the plunge. In order not to miss anything fun I roll and roll and can come back with gigs of crap from a one day ride. There must be some technical hurdle to implementing this, it seems hard to believe the folks at GoPro would be that out of touch with what users want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
The new HD Hero2 looks like exactly what I want - extended battery pack, simple to use, inexpensive options for extra batteries, charge and use, USB interface, great quality video... AND NO F'N LOOP MODE!?!?

I'd buy two of them right now if they had loop mode - but to this day the VIO and the ChaseCam PDR are the only units I know of that have it.

It's so mind bogglingly simple to implement in the firmware and it's such an amazingly useful feature... what the heck is the deal?

I put a Hero2 in my online shopping cart as soon as I saw it thinking "surely in the second generation they'll have added the only thing that prevents the massive snore factor of having to sit through hours and hours of recording just to find the two good bits". But no, same old crap. That's what I always enjoy doing, coming home from a day long ride and sorting through 8 hours of video to find the 2 minute bit where I fell on my head.

Seriously, why don't other manufacturers put that on their recorders? It's so blatantly obvious that it's an incredibly useful and time saving feature that it just seems insane. What am I missing?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #1338
MaxF
Zee German

Oddometer: 33
+1 on the missing loop mode.

That stuff is amazing on the VIO!! I now use the Drift HD as compromise as it at least comes with a proper remote....
MaxF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #1339
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post

That stuff is amazing on the VIO!! I now use the Drift HD as compromise as it at least comes with a proper remote....
Review, please. I'm trying to make up my mind to get the newest, coming real soon version of the Drift or the new go pro. Decisions, decisions.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #1340
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post

Just ordered a Drift HD. I really wanted the Contour to be the one that Ned uses in Dakar. Not there yet.
I like the remote. I will beat it up and update here with results.
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #1341
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,354
The VIO

The loop mode on the VIO POV 1.5 is one of the main reasons I bought it. I also have an early GoPro 5MP and have been videoing crap for years (3 kids !!!). One of the things that keeps me from doing more is the eternal editing that is required from hours of mildly interesting video. Even going through the beauty of southern Utah can get dull if it is just the raw footage.

Enter the loop mode. Here is how VIO describes it. Works very well.
Quote:
How does LOOP mode work?
Recording in LOOP mode allows you to save captured video of events after they have happened. When in LOOP mode, POV.1.5 keeps a video clip in its memory (length of clip is set in the settings menu) and will save the clip only if the user presses the TAG button. If the TAG button is not pressed, the particular clip is not saved. If the user presses TAG during the first third or last third of the clip the POV.1.5 will save the adjacent clip as well.

Example: If LOOP mode is set to 3 minute clips, and the user hits tag at 2 minutes 20 seconds the POV.1.5 will not only save the current clip, but it will also save the next clip as well.
The beauty of this is that by pushing the button ( it DOES have a remote.... very handy) you save the previous moments of your ride (you set the amount). So when you just worked your way through some fantastic twisties where you did not want to be distracted by start/ stop buttons, you push when you can and it will save what was in memory.

What this really means is less editing when you are home in front of your computer. You go through the clips you grabbed using loop mode. Memory cards last longer too.

And, the VIO comes with a small screen built into the recording unit. Yes, it has a cable, so factor that into your decisions. I got mine pretty cheap by using my REI dividend, where I spend lots of money

Buy both.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #1342
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
How much cost GO PRO 2 in USA?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #1343
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Illegal View Post
How much cost GO PRO 2 in USA?
Currently they're going for retail price: $300USD

I haven't been able to find any cheaper price so far.
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #1344
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Somebody had to get around to this sooner or later. Here it is folks, a mount for your iPhone or iPod with video. Now you have a reason to get that iPhone 4s you've been drooling over.

http://www.optrixhd.com/home
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #1345
replayxd.ca
n00b

Oddometer: 1
replay xd 1080

i am now the canadian distributer for Replay xd Visit Replayxd.ca.... enter cupon code Dollar Shipping for ! dollar shipping Canada wide.

any tech question contact Leonard D'Arrigo
416 841 0851
replayxd.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #1346
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
The loop mode on the VIO POV 1.5 is one of the main reasons I bought it. I also have an early GoPro 5MP and have been videoing crap for years (3 kids !!!). One of the things that keeps me from doing more is the eternal editing that is required from hours of mildly interesting video. Even going through the beauty of southern Utah can get dull if it is just the raw footage.

Enter the loop mode. Here is how VIO describes it. Works very well.

The beauty of this is that by pushing the button ( it DOES have a remote.... very handy) you save the previous moments of your ride (you set the amount). So when you just worked your way through some fantastic twisties where you did not want to be distracted by start/ stop buttons, you push when you can and it will save what was in memory.

What this really means is less editing when you are home in front of your computer. You go through the clips you grabbed using loop mode. Memory cards last longer too.

And, the VIO comes with a small screen built into the recording unit. Yes, it has a cable, so factor that into your decisions. I got mine pretty cheap by using my REI dividend, where I spend lots of money

Buy both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post

I'm not surprised GP didn't incorporate that into it's new camera, in many if not most of it's applications the user can't stop and do a loop save (skydiving, surfing, racing etc...)

These guys sure aren't

I film allot of dirt riding and I definately don't want to worry with saving or reviewing a clip while out there. If it was street, I might think differently. For me it's about the ride, filming is secondary so I don't worry about what to keep or discard, I film it all. The camera can do 4 hrs with the extended battery and the right card. I carry 3 cards and regular batterys for each = 6 hrs, plenty of capacity to get most rides and that typically edits down to a couple 10 min vids anyway.

Any decent film is going to require editing before it's finished, scene selection is easily done then. The editor I use has FF which works great for sifting through and finding the good stuff. Some of the best video I've taken occured when I least expected it.

RideFreak screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 04:44 PM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #1347
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I'm not surprised GP didn't incorporate that into it's new camera, in many if not most of it's applications the user can't stop and do a loop save (skydiving, surfing, racing etc...)

I film allot of dirt riding and I definately don't want to worry with saving or reviewing a clip while out there. If it was street, I might think differently. For me it's about the ride, filming is secondary so I don't worry about what to keep or discard, I film it all. The camera can do 4 hrs with the extended battery and the right card. I carry 3 cards and regular batterys for each = 6 hrs, plenty of capacity to get most rides and that typically edits down to a couple 10 min vids anyway.
I would like the option. You don't have to use it.
Who said anything about stopping to do a loop save?
The wifi remote they're bring out would make it do the loop stuff perfectly.

I film a lot of dirt too and working through 4-5hrs (extended battery) of footage to trim it down to 15min for the Tube is a pain.

I'm going on a 4 day dirt ride at the end of Jan and would kill for loop mode to make the batteries last...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #1348
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I would like the option. You don't have to use it.
Who said anything about stopping to do a loop save?
The wifi remote they're bring out would make it do the loop stuff perfectly.

I film a lot of dirt too and working through 4-5hrs (extended battery) of footage to trim it down to 15min for the Tube is a pain.

I'm going on a 4 day dirt ride at the end of Jan and would kill for loop mode to make the batteries last...
The loop mode on my VIO POV 1.5 lets you set up different settings for the length of the loop, and the remote makes it very easy to hit to start a loop. Granted, if you are Travis Pastrana, you may not want the chore of hitting a remote in mid air. In such a case, you use it like any other. Hit the start button, fill your card full, edit later. Choices, baby, choices. I like choices. YMMV. Whatever. Buy what you want. Just trying to share info for those trying to evaluate. FWIW I also have a older GoPro and might even get one of the new models.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #1349
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
The loop mode on my VIO POV 1.5 lets you set up different settings for the length of the loop, and the remote makes it very easy to hit to start a loop. Granted, if you are Travis Pastrana, you may not want the chore of hitting a remote in mid air.
Why would you hit the remote in mid-air?
You'd hit it after landing to save the last xx minutes?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #1350
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Hey guys...I'm wondering something...what is you preferred side to mount an helmet cam? Right or left?

I think that the left side would give you the best "overall" field of view for us that ride on the right side of the road but I'm wondering what's your feeling about it.