Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Sydneycraig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Carnet

Hey
I have a nsw Australia registered bike. How is the carnet cost calculated. Is it if a list price . Or purchase price? Reason ask is I have a customized tw200 from Deus ... 15k new!! List price for a 2007 tw about 3k?!!

Also what happens if I loose my bike/ bike us stolen??

No carnet for Thailand just a temp importt, so what would happen there!!

So many questions so little time!!
Thanks
Sydneycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
I had to get a valuation letter from a bike shop. Yours, being different, probably means you need it from Deus.

Your carnet is a form of insurance - you have to bring the bike back to the point of origin, or they will chase you for the money - unless you prove to their satisfaction that it was destroyed (good luck there). It has a couple of fee components $250 and $400 - one of which is refundable. Then the insurance fee is 2% of a percentage of the value of the bike and spares. If you are going to India, its 2% of 400% of the value of the bike. SE Asia its 2% of 150%. Mine, with a valuation of $15,500 cost me around $1,100 or so.... and took near on a month to get. If I don't get my bike back here in a year (or get the carnet extended).... the NRMA will chase me for $22,000.

No carnet.... no boat ride.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Sydneycraig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks... Really worries me losing the bike ( stolen) and then end up with no bike and then a big bill too!! Looking more and more likely I will sell my (overpriced) Deus in Sydney and buy a bike in Thailand a base my rides from there... Not as cool as a Sydney to Bangkok ride but money is a factor and that looks like the (semi) sensible decision... Sensible being getting a job and settling down!! Thanks for the info
Sydneycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,138
I'll only clarify that you may not necessarily have to get the bike back to the point of origin before you can get your carnet discharged. You may be able to do so as long as you are in a non-carnet country and all of your incoming carnet stamps are also stamped out, and you have certified that the bike is located in a non-carnet country. You can do this at customs upon entry.

At least this was the case for my carnet issued by the CAA (Canadian auto assoc). In this case you can get your carnet-requiring countries out of the way early in your trip and get your deposit. Just something to discuss with the company that issues your carnet.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,392
click this link it will explain a lot and show you 3 different options

http://www.2ridetheworld.com/tips_tricks2.htm#paperwork

i head out continuing doing a rtw may 2013 completed 38,000 miles in the americas but now heading east carnets are needed and will do it how simon did his, the cheap way...hope this helps

rtwpaul screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 07:59 AM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote