Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #1021
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Is it me, or are the Boxer 'jugs' higher up on the engine than the current model? In the first images (riders coming straight on), the right jug is lower than the left. Does anyone else see that, or is it me?
Optical illusion, due to some greenery partially obscuring the left cylinder. If it were real, it would mean that they turned the crankshaft vertical...

Gruesome screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 12:52 PM
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #1022
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Thats a GSA. Kinda fat for my liking. If thats a GS, I'll be getting one of the new older ones.
Me thinks it's a GS, imho. Because of the intake coming into the top of the cylinder heads, the throttle bodies AND airbox are now in the tank area, not to mention the radiators. That doesn't leave a ton of room for fuel. They'll have to get very creative to fit a 9 gallon tank on the GSA; my guess is that the tank will be including the area where the airbox is on the current generation of GS's.

I'll bet this is closer to the finished product than we'd like to believe. Items like the fancy headlight, instrument panel, fork fairing, etc. would imply that this is -very- close to production.

Yes, the MultiStrada upped the ante and BMW is playing catch-up. Also, if you have a 130HP bike that can do 150MPH, you need improved aerodynamics which means it will probably look more like the Multi also.

g-
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #1023
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Is it me, or are the Boxer 'jugs' higher up on the engine than the current model? In the first images (riders coming straight on), the right jug is lower than the left. Does anyone else see that, or is it me?
Also looks like that to me, there should be some weird optical ilusion
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #1024
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Question

To me, it looks like R 1000GS.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #1025
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young View Post
...Yes, the MultiStrada upped the ante and BMW is playing catch-up...
g-
I disagree, The Ducati, despite the marketing hype, is not a Dualsport bike. And on a bike that needs to perform offroad, off idle smoothness and torque far outweigh sales team driven HP & top speed numbers. Lets hope BMW isn't foolish enough to try and compete with a bike that is not it's competition.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #1026
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I disagree, The Ducati, despite the marketing hype, is not a Dualsport bike. And on a bike that needs to perform offroad, off idle smoothness and torque far outweigh sales team driven HP & top speed numbers. Lets hope BMW isn't foolish enough to try and compete with a bike that is not it's competition.
+100

Ride the Multi, and while they have 'numbers', it's a far cry from being refined or feeling like you want to spend time in the saddle. Off-idle fueling is notchy at best (and often posted in Ducati forums), and at the risk of sounding 'old', I just don't see the need for the power in a DS.

The GS was/is about refinement and I'm sure BM is doing their due diligence on this model. But if it comes out to be more road-oriented, I wonder how many people will go Orange. Which is another can of worms.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #1027
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
+100

Ride the Multi, and while they have 'numbers', it's a far cry from being refined or feeling like you want to spend time in the saddle. Off-idle fueling is notchy at best (and often posted in Ducati forums), and at the risk of sounding 'old', I just don't see the need for the power in a DS.

The GS was/is about refinement and I'm sure BM is doing their due diligence on this model. But if it comes out to be more road-oriented, I wonder how many people will go Orange. Which is another can of worms.
It will still be a BMW GS, but it will have higher HP, better brakes, and more road oriented design features. I'm not espousing theory here; just look at the prototype pictures. The Multi is a better road bike by most measures, and I'm sure BMW isn't happy about that. Most likely their goal will be to keep the GS's off-roading ability while matching the Multi on road.

g-
Old 12-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #1028
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young View Post
It will still be a BMW GS, but it will have higher HP, better brakes, and more road oriented design features. I'm not espousing theory here; just look at the prototype pictures. The Multi is a better road bike by most measures, and I'm sure BMW isn't happy about that. Most likely their goal will be to keep the GS's off-roading ability while matching the Multi on road.

g-
I can't disagree that 'if' or 'when' the Multi is tuned and does its best it's better on-road. It's just that there have been lots of teething pains with Ducati's 20K+ bike.

I guess it depends where BM decides it wants to focus. Road, and chasing sales numbers (which is somewhat understandable). Or staying true to the lineage of a G/S even if it's a water cooled bike.

The radial brakes on the test mule's forks tell me the answer.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #1029
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
But if it comes out to be more road-oriented, I wonder how many people will go Orange.
Probably about the same amount that go Orange right now, a virtually unrecognizable blip,
on the radar screen of GS sales.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #1030
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
If it has 30 more hp, same torque down low, weighs the same, fits tall folk and doesn't have cruise, I want the adv version please.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #1031
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,382
It looks like the cylinders are kinda high up on the engine.
Maybe a unitized engine and transmission ?
Maybe a wet multi-plate clutch ?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #1032
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Probably about the same amount that go Orange right now, a virtually unrecognizable blip,
on the radar screen of GS sales.

996DL
Perhaps. . . .for now. Once a watercooled G/S is out, what's the difference between a KTM or a GS besides the shaft drive? I'd wager there would be a considerable number of people doing serious looking once the H2O version is deployed.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #1033
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
It looks like the cylinders are kinda high up on the engine.
Maybe a unitized engine and transmission ?
Maybe a wet multi-plate clutch ?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=192
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #1034
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Hmm, No Mickey Mouse ears....F800 style mirrors.....
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #1035
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Perhaps. . . .for now. Once a watercooled G/S is out, what's the difference between a KTM or a GS besides the shaft drive? I'd wager there would be a considerable number of people doing serious looking once the H2O version is deployed.
The stalwart few, that never bothered purchasing a HP2E in the first place, but still revere it's image / memory, like a Porsche enthusiast's 959 garage poster, perhaps. Outside of that, I feel you're waxing poetically / lamenting generational change, for changes sake.

Some additional weight and technological sophistication, will not turn BMW's cash cow GS series, into a festooned roadie. It's not to say that for a few, the additional pounds won't interfere in hard core off road use, but those owners are still truly an extremely small percentage, of GS buyers.

The only thing a considerable number of people will be doing, when this bike is released, is lining up in droves to buy them. Feel free to pm me, if KTM's numbers go through the roof at the same time,
I'll buy you lunch.

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 12-27-2011 at 09:28 PM
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote