Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #31
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
I got sidetracked with a trip to the lab but at least I got out of the house. Tag still safe for a bit.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #32
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Don't tempt me...
That gauntlet had been thrown down!

Quote:
I guess you did understand which display I was talking about. But can you figure out where it is?
If it was the helicopter at the National Guard compound behind the airport, then yes. That's what I *thought* I'd noticed before. Went out there just a bit ago, but the nice man with all the weapons wouldn't let me take a picture of it. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I wasted my chance. At least this afternoon. Tried for another vantage point, but couldn't get one.

Arrow shows the helicopter. X shows where a good shot could have been taken. Asterisk shows where the happy, young man with the bullets stands.

If I was going to try again, I'd just do it as quickly as possible without having any sort of conversation with anyone wearing all black and items measured in caliber.
Attached Images

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #33
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

That's so freeking funny.

I just went out there too (exact same spot) and no matter how much I tried to convince that nice man with the weapons, he wouldn't let me take the picture, nor would he take it for me. I pulled out all the stops, mentioned that I was former military and had previously held a security clearance, even mentioned that I earned special ribbons for my actions. Even said that no one would ever know and it was just a picture of a helicopter (a damn cool huey from nam). Said that if he'd let me drive up to it I could make sure that I didn't get anything but my bike and the helicopter in the picture.

He didn't bite. No joy.

btw: It's not just the National Guard Armory but also a Lockheed Martin facility...me guess tht they stock more than just the small caliber weapons that the guards were carrying.

Here's what it looks like (minus the motorcycle):

Flashback screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 02:00 PM
Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #34
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Well this tag will have to go to someone else. I've struck out on the static-display. Can't find one that you can get to as a civilian within a significant distance of my location (like half a days drive).

Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #35
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's so freeking funny.

I just went out there too (exact same spot) and no matter how much I tried to convince that nice man with the weapons, he wouldn't let me take the picture, nor would he take it for me. I pulled out all the stops, mentioned that I was former military and had previously held a security clearance, even mentioned that I earned special ribbons for my actions. Even said that no one would ever know and it was just a picture of a helicopter (a damn cool huey from nam). Said that if he'd let me drive up to it I could make sure that I didn't get anything but my bike and the helicopter in the picture.

He didn't bite. No joy.

btw: It's not just the National Guard Armory but also a Lockheed Martin facility...me guess tht they stock more than just the small caliber weapons that the guards were carrying.
You went far beyond what I tried. My conversation was limited to "hey, do you mind if I get a picture of the helicopter from outside the fence?" and him explaining in a couple single syllable words that the likelihood of that action coming to fruition was as close to nil as was conceivably possible. I u-turned and started heading out. Went about 30 feet and doubled back and took the left up towards the airport looking for another spot I could get the shot from. Realizing that I was probably being watched more closely than I'd prefer, I just bagged it and left.

I saw the Lockheed Martin sign too.

There's a Huey on display down near Rockingham - also a dragstrip there...
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6X7M_Huey_UH_1B_DAV_Chapter_59_Hamlet_NC

Also found some in Havelock, Fayetteville, Hickory, etc.

I've got the other three items on the list, so I don't feel like I can quit on this one now...

Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #36
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I'm not positive but I believe the Fayetteville aircraft are inside the gates too...same with the ones at seymore johnson afb in Goldsboro.

But I do know that the ones at Cherry Point in Havelock can be gots.

Flashback screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 04:49 PM
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #37
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,481
WB, if you can get a long distance shot of the heli from outside teh base, that would work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
That gauntlet had been thrown down!

If it was the helicopter at the National Guard compound behind the airport, then yes. That's what I *thought* I'd noticed before. Went out there just a bit ago, but the nice man with all the weapons wouldn't let me take a picture of it. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I wasted my chance. At least this afternoon. Tried for another vantage point, but couldn't get one.

Arrow shows the helicopter. X shows where a good shot could have been taken. Asterisk shows where the happy, young man with the bullets stands.

If I was going to try again, I'd just do it as quickly as possible without having any sort of conversation with anyone wearing all black and items measured in caliber.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #38
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
WB, if you can get a long distance shot of the heli from outside teh base, that would work too.
I tried to look for a spot where that might be possible to at least throw something up for approval, but didn't really see a good place. If I head south towards tomorrow morning, I'll stop back by and take another look. I almost feel like if I just pulled in and parked where the cars outside the fence are - and acted like I belonged there, I might not get noticed. Don't know how much of a long shot that is and I don't want to cause a "situation".

Hopefully, those folks aren't reading this...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #39
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

I don;t think there's any way I can get that helicopter at the National Guard area.

Question: would a static rocket/missile display be acceptable?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #40
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I'm sure our license plates are in a database somewhere now...lol...I'm not going back after that helo either. The pic just isn't doable without drawing unwanted attention to meself.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #41
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,481
If the tags are not gotten by midnight Sunday, a rocket will do. Until then, I did not specify the scale of said plane. Get creative! Like this, the tag was a working helicopter
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3906
Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #42
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If the tags are not gotten by midnight Sunday, a rocket will do. Until then, I did not specify the scale of said plane. Get creative! Like this, the tag was a working helicopter

Hmmmmm....
Okay, rethinking this...

Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #43
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm sure our license plates are in a database somewhere now...lol...I'm not going back after that helo either. The pic just isn't doable without drawing unwanted attention to meself.

I've stayed out of trouble for many years now. BUT, I do NOT want to end up on Napolitano's list.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
If that's the case you should have called this the "Global multi-grab wild card game".

One of the local inmates was detained at a military base a few years back attempting to grab the Virginia tag that was placed in a "no camera" area near the entrance to the base. I think he spent three-four hours with the MP's. Had his Bike, laptop & camera searched. He DID get the tag shot...which is all that really matters right?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #45
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
If that's the case you should have called this the "Global multi-grab wild card game".

One of the local inmates was detained at a military base a few years back attempting to grab the Virginia tag that was placed in a "no camera" area near the entrance to the base. I think he spent three-four hours with the MP's. Had his Bike, laptop & camera searched. He DID get the tag shot...which is all that really matters right?
That's pretty hardcore for a tag. I like to stay off the radar as much as possible. What people don't know or never see doesn't hurt them (or me).

The tag is an aircraft...the tag getter should get an aircraft. Rockets don't meet commonly held definitions of 'aircraft'.

Let it sit. Someone will eventually get the right tags.