ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #31
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632255

So far that has been my favorite Ninja Mutant. I plan to steal a few ideas from there, hopefully the headers since that was very smart.
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #32
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632255

So far that has been my favorite Ninja Mutant. I plan to steal a few ideas from there, hopefully the headers since that was very smart.

Great build!
__________________
Riding a Motorcycle is like flying like a Eagle without ever leaving the ground.
Ridin'nFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #33
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
Well I lost power this weekend so all I did was changed the tires on the V-strom...sorry for the lack of progress. I got to look at all the beautiful parts that had arrived.
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #34
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
Alright, so this upcoming weekend I should be moving most of my stuff to my new house, hopefully the ninja tags along into the new garage. If it does, I'll start stripping off bodywork and taking pictures.
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #35
elgato gordo
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
21 vs 19 front

PJM204

Just found these build threads and have found them very interesting. One thing I have seen on is that 21 inch front tires are only available in narrow 3.00in wide. With this heavy of a bike would a larger tire be better like the 19 inch would offer. Some are even using rear dirt tires for the front. Seem much better in soft dirt. Not sure of the negative impacts.

Good luck with the build!
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #36
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
PJM204

Just found these build threads and have found them very interesting. One thing I have seen on is that 21 inch front tires are only available in narrow 3.00in wide. With this heavy of a bike would a larger tire be better like the 19 inch would offer. Some are even using rear dirt tires for the front. Seem much better in soft dirt. Not sure of the negative impacts.

Good luck with the build!
JDRocks has stated in his thread that he gets 10,000+ miles out of some of his front tires on a 21 inch V-Strom front wheel.Plus it all depends on if you're running street or dual sport tires and if they are bias ply or radial construction.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
JDRocks has stated in his thread that he gets 10,000+ miles out of some of his front tires on a 19 inch V-Strom front wheel.Plus it all depends on if you're running street or dual sport tires and if they are bias ply or radial construction.

better now.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #38
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
Sorry to say that there is little to report at this time. I unboxed and shelved all of the parts in my new garage. I'll get started on it sooner or later...and once I get started I'll move quickly.
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #39
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
better now.
Yes.I got caught up.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #40
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
Alright so I finally got working on the build. I stripped off all of the plastics, took off the wheels, suspension is off.
Mocked up the front and rear ends and I'm currently waiting to make some parts. Sadly the conversion bearings I would need (25mm x 55mm x 14mm) don't seem to be available anywhere. So I need to make a sleeve for the stem to fit the ninja bearings. The rear KTM wheel looks like it will work out perfectly with some spacers.

Here is what I need to make/buy/alter to get it rideable:

25mm ID x 35mm OD steering stem sleeve

several 20mm spacers for rear axle

Bore out R1 shock bushings

Weld extension for brake caliper hanger

Future tasks:

Make headers

Fit muffler

Cut down oil pan drain

Sort headlight/fairing

etc etc
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #41
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,210
Have a search around here. http://www.mcmaster.com/# They have turned up some good,and cheap, parts for mods.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #42
elgato gordo
KTMRFS
 
elgato gordo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 510
What do you think about removing the stem from the ninja triples and press it into the YZ triples. You would either have to neck down the stem from the ninja of open up the hole in the YZ triples.

Seems odd the street bikes use big diameter steering stems but smaller diameter fork legs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
Alright so I finally got working on the build. I stripped off all of the plastics, took off the wheels, suspension is off.
Mocked up the front and rear ends and I'm currently waiting to make some parts. Sadly the conversion bearings I would need (25mm x 55mm x 14mm) don't seem to be available anywhere. So I need to make a sleeve for the stem to fit the ninja bearings. The rear KTM wheel looks like it will work out perfectly with some spacers.

Here is what I need to make/buy/alter to get it rideable:

25mm ID x 35mm OD steering stem sleeve

several 20mm spacers for rear axle

Bore out R1 shock bushings

Weld extension for brake caliper hanger

Future tasks:

Make headers

Fit muffler

Cut down oil pan drain

Sort headlight/fairing

etc etc
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #43
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
What do you think about removing the stem from the ninja triples and press it into the YZ triples. You would either have to neck down the stem from the ninja of open up the hole in the YZ triples.

Seems odd the street bikes use big diameter steering stems but smaller diameter fork legs.
The ninja stem is too big to use in the YZ triples unfortunately, not enough meat left after I open up the yz triples.

I dropped off the triple at a machine shop to bore out the hole to accept the ohlins stem I have. He is also boring out the holes in the R1 shock. I bought the conversion bearings and wheel bearings...so tomorrow the bike should be a roller again. Just need wheel spacers...anyone have a source for materials to make a few 20mm wheel spacers? (I checked mcmaster)
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #44
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,499
I have an aluminum supply place near me I can pick some rod up from their scrap bin. Send me the dimensions you want, my treat.
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #45
pjm204 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I have an aluminum supply place near me I can pick some rod up from their scrap bin. Send me the dimensions you want, my treat.
Haha, I think you just want an excuse to use that lathe. I may take you up on the offer if I can't figure something out over the weekend. I'm trying to get the bike rideable by the end of the weekend.
__________________
Current bikes:2006 DL650, 2008 WR250R
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014