Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #31
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Been looking for this "KTM Hardparts" 690 Enduro windscreen online but can't seem to find it. Do they make or still sell it?

How about using one from the 690 supermoto? It looks like it's similiar and could be made to work.
Looks like KTMTwins still has the screen.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-endu...ing-windscreen
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #32
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
According to Touratech this screen only fits the 690E not ER...but doesn't look like touching head light mask at all. So why shouldn't it fit the ER?

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #33
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Had an old screen after a Fazer1000/FZ1 I had so trying to just fit it directly on OE headlight fairing. Looks like should work just have to do some rerouting og cables/wires and some adjusting of hand guards and handle bar. Actually looks like screen will have support from handlebar so the bolts and fairing shouldn't take that much loads.

Maybe not super pretty but that flip screen is really smart

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #34
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,636
wow, that looks really good and likely better protection than the KTM jobber.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #35
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Hi, was just thinking about that flip screen option. I just received the 690 screen for my 950 and was wondering if it would be so simple as find one and attaching...

could i just attach this to the 690 T screen?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-Explorer-1200

lukeinlondon screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 08:30 PM
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Does anyone know if the Wunderlich Vario screen for the BMW F800GS can be modified to fit the 08 690E?
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8110157.html

This is the sort of thing we really need for on and off road.
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #37
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
wow, that looks really good and likely better protection than the KTM jobber.
Only problem is it doesn't look right on a sumo. Even though for touring function is more important than looks there's a limit. So compromise was taking off the spoiler. And, yes, I know the top box looks shit too but with inner bag you can't beat it when it comes to practicality and convenience.

1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,750
Team-

I have a Laminar Lip designed for the 640 Adventure mounted over the front mask on my '12 690E.

I originally bought the Laminar Lip for the 640A for riding in colder months down here in south Louisiana, but now I think it's found a permanent place to call home on the 690....plus it makes the bike look meaner than it looked before.

Makes it verry comfortable, wind hits right above my shoulders, and believe it or not given my height which is 5'8" makes for a quieter/less buffeted ride below 75-80 on the 690 than the wind protection I get when riding the 640A. The Laminar lip is wider than the KTM Touring Windscreen which is made for these bikes and makes for an ever so slightly larger area of wind protection behind the screen.

While sitting on the 640A, at speed, the wind hits at the chin level, maybe a bit below on me, and with the laminar lip, on the 640A, it diverts wind to the eyebrow level.

I even have the smoke colored 690E KTM touring screen I ordered from Chip a few weeks back, but since the Laminar Lip is working as well as it is, I'm seriously debating mounting that touring wind screen.

Photobucket

Dirty

dirty_sanchez screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 11:35 AM
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Had an old screen after a Fazer1000/FZ1 I had so trying to just fit it directly on OE headlight fairing. Looks like should work just have to do some rerouting og cables/wires and some adjusting of hand guards and handle bar. Actually looks like screen will have support from handlebar so the bolts and fairing shouldn't take that much loads.

Was that from the current model FZ1 or the pre'06 model? Is it the OEM unit or a touring aftermarket model? Also would like to know who makes that adjustable lip. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Was that from the current model FZ1 or the pre'06 model? Is it the OEM unit or a touring aftermarket model? Also would like to know who makes that adjustable lip. Thanks!
MRA vario screen for pre 06.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #41
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post

How did the FZ1 shield do by itself? I'm 5'8" and just need the air off my chest and little to no turbulence on my head. I have the original shield from my 09 and might try it.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #42
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Has anyone tried the rally raid 690 fairing (from KTM Twins) with a 990 touring windsheild from Cee Bailey? It's big and toury - but that's really what I need for the long road trips with easy offroad sections. Seems like there are a lot more optional windscreens for the 990 adventure that are available once you have the Rally Raid fairing setup. Costly approach but cheaper than a new bike PLUS you get to ride a real offroader offroad!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #43
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
speaking to Laminar Lip very helpful..good price $90 and the feedback online is very good for them. He says if it doesnt fit my 690 screen he will refund me..think i am going to try it out..the wind currently hits me in the shoulders..(6'2)
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #44
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

They're good people down there. Helped me dial in my 12GSA with a lip.

Just my experience of the aero effects of windscreens on the 690e. I never found anything that worked for me. I tried the KTM touring screen, Lynx and Lynx with Laminar lip. I'm 6-2. The problem is that even if you get the air to flow over your helmet there's just too much low freq turbulent throb that's particularly sensible with ear plugs on. It's impossible for ears to survive that punishment for hours and those pressure oscillations permeate ear plugs. My conclusion, it's better to go stock with ear plugs - no turbulence - just constant wind noise and pressure like all the bare bikers.....or get a 12GS like I did! I don't ride my KTM on the hwy anymore unless it's to a close offroad ride.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #45
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
I have the KTM Hard Parts windscreen from KTMTwins, shown above. It's a noticable improvment from the factory setup by taking some pressure off my chest at highway speeds. Helmet is in clear air (6 feet tall, 30" inseam). I ride with either foam earplugs or earbuds and music - both easily quiet the wind noise making day-long rides possible. (Rarely is my iPod volume over half way up.)

I recently added a flip screen from Touratech. It's meant for the F800GS, but the bend in this unit and the bend in the KTM screen is similar, so it latches on and works very well for me. Up to and over 70 mph more weight on my chest is reduced, while my helmet remains in clear air.

Here it is on the 690...

Up to about 45 mph, I can actually ride with my visor up and no sun glasses without my eyes getting too much wind, starting to water, etc. Awesome for slow work or around town in the evening. In fairness, I try to always ride with glasses just for the added protection, but its proof to me the small clip on screen was working. :)

It slips over the top of the windscreen and clamps into place. The lock deactivates the clamp, making it extremely difficult to pull the unit off the windscreen due to the rubber pads gripping the tinted windscreen. You can adjust the angle slightly by adjusting the pads on their bolts. Mine was great from the box.

I was considering the Lynx unit, but on the 2012 models you need to relo the turn signals, which starts to make that swap a more involved proposition, not to mention adding yet more money to the project.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote