Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #91
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,338
With the clutch done, it was time to install the engine in the frame. I also test fitted the tranny but it will have to come back out to fit the clutch actuating rod and other pieces. Here is a pic from earlier in the week.

Yesterday it was raining again and seemed like a good day to spend a decent amount of time on the MV. My Father is in town so I had a helping hand.
Quite a bit of wrangling took place to get the tranny installed with the actuating pieces in place an properly lined up. The tip if the actuating rod is square and fits into a square hole in the pressure plate. To make certain it was inserted into the hole we made a tool out of a butt splice and a screw so I could turn the rod after the tranny was in place and feel it slide into the hole.

Note all of the tools used...

Time to install the driveshaft which requires removing the final drive. This will also allow phasing all of the shafts.

Installed the ignition, carbs and tank. What now... Time to kick it...
Kicked at bit and had a few puffs, then I remembered I had held off torquing the heads to spec. With that done, she fired on the second kick! Cylinder temps monitored; both were within 10 degrees on one another, no strange sounds - good news!
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Now a multitude of details to attend to before the ride...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #92
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Sooo nice.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #93
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus

It is getting there. The clutch actuating lever was homemade when I received the bike. Seemed to work OK but was ugly and had a non-standard hook-up for the clutch cable.

I sourced a standard clutch lever and installed. However the standard clutch cable mount was missing. The original one is quite a pain as it is really only two semi-flat pieces of stock and the cable is sandwiched between them. You really have to tighten everything to tight and the cable still slips sometimes. With the part missing and fact that I dont like the design anyway, I decided to fab me a cable mount.
Start with a closely sized roll-pin (need a gap to get the cable through) and some flat stock. I had to drill out the roll-pin just a bit to be able to fit the metal portion of the cable inside. Cut to length then drilled and tapped for a set screw; the mounting point with the flat stock. A quick weld and a test fit - nice.

Some paint then installed - Ill get a proper set screw at some point.

With the clutch done, it was time for a short test ride! Ran great! Back in the garage for some tilt alignment then back for another test ride - pulls nicely and I would say has as much get-up-and-go as my OHV Dnepr.

Current state - the race look :) Still with incorrect wheels.

Next will be fitting the sidecar body and getting the correct wheels installed...
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #94
wrigh003
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Too cool. Good to see the practical application of the "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right" theory.

Good job, looking forward to seeing more pictures and tales of the rebuild/upgrade/fix process.
wrigh003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #95
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus

Took some tinkering to get final details under control
- brake lights working
- u-joints serviced
- wheels swapped
etc

Now deemed roadworthy. Here are a couple comparison shots from when I first bought the bike home and now over a year later.
Then

Now

Then

Now

Funny how all the work is not reflected in the photos

Just had to drive it up a dirt pile...

I plan to ride it for a while and let the parts do their final meshing. Then I have a couple projects I want to complete. First the final drive locking device installation and two wheels (sidecar and spare) need to be swapped for correct type (this will require re-stringing a couple of hubs and rims I have laying around).

Surprises so far - how easy this thing starts! Damn, probably just cursed myself...
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #96
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 713
Damn, it still looks like a well used dirty old bike. Well done! Because that's the way I prefer them to look.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #97
camit34-1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow
Damn, it still looks like a well used dirty old bike. Well done! Because that's the way I prefer them to look.
X2!!! Great work!
camit34-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #98
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,134
I love the patina on that bike! Please don't paint it.

What's going on with it as of late? Would love a ride report and/or details of how it rides, shifts, brakes, etc.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #99
afcope
dabbler

Oddometer: 14
Reference Manual?

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I am suffering through a long Central European winter and some of the small issues with my bike are beginning to beg for some attention so I have been searching for other KMZ owners. I really appreciate the detail of your thread. It is really hard to find well documented SV information. That leads to my real question, what reference books, or other information, do you use? I have a '67 K750 and I am struggling to find reliable info. I have the Russian side valve motorcycle book, but it is all in Russian. So, the tables and illustrations are great, but it is nothing great. Anyway, great build, and I really enjoy seeing other vintage bikes that are actually used! Here's mine:
Attached Images

afcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #100
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
your request

lots of info and help here -- CossackPower (b-Cozz) for M-72, Ural Dnepr & Izh Motorcycles and Sidecars
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #101
afcope
dabbler

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the quick answer! I do love that site. I guess I was looking for an easy way out of searching all the time, like a book. I will keep searching there. Thanks.
afcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #102
packbier
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Nice project!!!

I have a Ural M72 from the 1940's with a Dnepr gearbox with reverse.
A Dnepr and Ural frame look the same, but the Dnepr is +/- 20mm longer!
Pistons from a Fiat are going to fitted, the pistons from Russia that I've seen where made from recycled tinfoil
I'm thinking about to fit a DC generator from a VW beetle (12V instead of the 6V with very low power) the output shafts are the same diameter.
There are gears for sale for the 4th gear with a better ratio, less revelations.
Also a deeper aluminium sump, more oil and better cooling.

If anyone wants more info, manual, etc. just let me know.

Now some fun pic's:

Wood gas generator:

Ural with turbo:

It's nearly new years eve, let's blow up some stuff:
Name:  uralat4cutpd9.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  41.3 KB

Very rare (1000 build) Harley-Davidson XA (experimental army) BMW R71 copy:

And my personal favorite:

BMW prototype (1937) with tracks:

Have fun and keep up the good work!

Cheers from Holland, erwin.
packbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #103
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcope View Post
That leads to my real question, what reference books, or other information, do you use? I have a '67 K750 and I am struggling to find reliable info. I have the Russian side valve motorcycle book, but it is all in Russian. So, the tables and illustrations are great, but it is nothing great.

David Cox in the UK offers nicely translated manuals;
http://www.russianmotorcycles.co.uk/index.html
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #104
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
I know it's over a year ago, but this slipped past me. Great work getting it back up and running.

What is that large blocky thing obscuring the upper portion of your headlight?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #105
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,329
This thing looks really good at going in straight lines. Seriously though, how the F*&^ are you supposed to turn this thing?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote