Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
Suncoast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
What about taking your versys and trading in on a Vulcan? I like Harleys, but had a Vulcan and I can say the vulcan will gve you the same ride for way less cash. My buddy who past away this past summer had an '10 Street Glide, his wife asked me if I could help sell it to settle the estate, he was into the Street Glide for over 30k, stage 2 on it, nice bike!! She nded up selling it to a nice guy for $14,000, it had 30,000 kms on it but I'm sure he was rolling in his grave after she sold the bike. Just saying, Harleys are nice but you can get the same ride and better reliability with a Kawasaki Vulcan.....your non rider friends will never know the difference!!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

.......I'll seek out a '09 or newer one. The older ones get real nervous when you push them past 80 mph on a twisty road.

Haven't lost a red light race yet!

......2009-newer gets you a gallon bigger fuel tank and a redesigned frame for high speed stability. don't forget ABS.
Also Harley offers free demo rides, don't need to wait for a factory demo event either.
Always wanted a Harley, was looking at the xr1200. But the wife said it better haul both our asses.

So.....

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,285
This is my first post so I won't go into full blown Hardley bashing mode...

...but I will suggest there are a LOT of bike options out there to fit the OP's requirements that offer better value, superior performance & handling and even greater comfort.

I've never owned a Harley, but I've ridden most of their models at one point or another over the years, from an early '70s 1000 Sportster, right up to the V-Rod.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #19
hwyhound
Patriot

Oddometer: 217
Had a 09 FLHTC and it was a great two up super slab touring machine. It did everything it was supposed to do and did it with attitude. My only complaint was the suspension, it was poorly engineered and needed replaced. Any road that was less than perfect would require the speed limit or below. I'm no racer and way to old to care about keeping up with anybody but I like to feel like I can ride to my ability without fear. This bike would require me to either slow down to a pace that caused me to lose interest or a major upgrade to the suspension. The bike was beautiful and I still miss looking at it parked, but I don't miss the ride.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Don't forget Victory. Sat on a few at the last International MC Show and thought they were pretty cool.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #21
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
After owning three Hondas, a BSA, a Norton, a Ducati, a Yamaha, and a Moto Guzzi, I bought my first Harley three months ago, and it's great! Go for it!

What other bike can you do this on?

Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #22
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
I had two Hd's.
Great bikes. The best finish and build quaility of
any bike I've ever owned, and by virtue of having
a belt instead of a chain, the most maintenance
free. Parts are half the cost of any other bike and
with so much interchangabilty and dealerships
every 5 miles it seems, you will never be off the
road for long in the unlikely event you do have
problems. A Harley is an absolute breeze to work
on too. The open-pipe faux thuglettes give HD a
bad image, and everyone who DOESNT own a
HD have 25 horror stories about them, but both
are easy enough to ignore. I say go for it . . .
Get a J&P Cycles catalogue, have fun! My only advice
would be not to consider a Sportster, just go straight
for the FL 'Bagger or Road King.

Regards,
LM in KY
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #23
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,538
I've never owned or ridden a HD so I can't say anything about them, except that they seem pricey. If you have the $ and that's what you want, then go for it.

I have seen some lesser expensive alternatives that are really worth looking at. If I had $7k right now, I'd buy this X :

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthre...iring-etc-****

pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #24
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Go set on a few Victories.....Cross Roads, Cross Country.....Vision if you can get over the "styling".

low seat height, crazy comfortable.....vtwin power....yadda yadda.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Buy a Victory..

Watch the series of Vids made by Arizona Victory here (they also sell harleys too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc

after a few minutes its quite clear Harley is obselete

9secondsflat screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 05:44 AM
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I have been fascinated by the Dyna Switchback, a lighter version of the Road King.
Against: its pricey at a factory suggested $16,500. Its still 700 pounds they say which is a lot of weight. Plus the whole Harley lifestyle thing seems a bit oppressive if you are just into riding.
For: its the usual list of sensible Harley solutions for high mileage motorcycles. No maintenance hydraulic valves, belt drive, tubeless tires and numerous accessories and tons of dealers and support all insoire long distance confidence.
The Switchback in particular appeals to me as I like to travel light and electron-free. So the smaller bags and lack of fairing radio, cruise control etc etc doesn't bother me. $16,500 plus a luggage rack and a passenger seat rest does though. And seven hundred pounds seems a lot to commute with.
I was looking at the Switchback also. But I couldn't get around the price. I ended up on a Victory Cross Roads.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I'm the same hight, and inseam as yourself, and I was recently looking for a better two up bike than my R1200GS, and started looking at the Harley touring bikes. I test road an '08 E-glide Standard, an '08 Street Glide, and a '12 Street Glide. They really were nice bikes. Looked great, nice fit and finish, and the dealers really did treat me well.

The '08 E-Glide standard was a little strange for me the first time I'll pulled away from a dead stop turing at the same time. Maybe because of different rake and trail than I was used to. Once I was used to that, which was pretty quick, it was a piece of cake to ride. I did some parking lot maneuvers, which were quite easy and then got on the highway and cruised. The comfort was great. That slow turning twin almost hipnotic at 70 mph. With stock pipes, it wasn't very loud either.

The '12 Street Glide was rougher as others have said, and with the stubby windshield buffetting was pretty bad. The 103 engine was really nice, and brakes were quite nice as well. It would have needed a taller shield, and a new seat to be really comfortable. However, with a price tag near 21K, it would make more sense to buy a classic with all of that already included for the same price. A much better value.

I did enjoy the Harley's, but In the end, I found a very nice used '09 R1200RT, and never went back to the Harley. I live closer to a BMW dealer, and I already had the tools and no-how to work on the bike myself. The wife likes the RT as well.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #28
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
What's there to talk you into?
You like the bikes. You know you want one.
Go ride some demos and buy the one you like, then ride the crap out of it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #29
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
What's there to talk you into?
You like the bikes. You know you want one.
Go ride some demos and buy the one you like, then ride the crap out of it.
Best advice yet . . .

Why are people posting about other bikes in
a "Talk me in to a Harley" thread? Dontcha
think the OP might have thought of that when
he determined he needed a new 20k bike?
Just sayin' . . .
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #30
MiltonHog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I bought a Road Glide Ultra this time as it is the best in handling of any of the Harley Baggers. It moves the fairing away and does not feel as confining as an E Glide. It is a signifigant improvement on windy days as well. I have owned 8 E Glides and have not one bad thing to say but the Road Glide Ultra has all the add ons I wanted and the lower fairings are vented and work well in the real world.

I would try a Road King an E Glide and a Road Glide. If you want a smaller bike than these the new Dyna Switch back works like a smaller Road King and is about 90 lbs lighter than a Road King. They are a new model for 2012 so there are not many used out there. Our dealer cant keep them in stock and has several sold by deposit for future delivery. My wife is 5ft 4 and can flat foot and she likes the lighter weight. I like the old school look.

As far as the Harley lifestyle it is what you make of it, I am any thing but a pirate , I ride nearly 20,000 miles a year and have ridden more than 40 years, I have ridden all over the world including Europe, Austrailia New Zealand and from Alaska to Mexico. I ride with stock pipes and wear ballistic nylon jackets and pants, I do enjoy socializing with other riders regardless of there choice of bikes, It is there money and they can spend it as they decide.

It seems the people who have the most trash to talk dont own or ride a Harley. I do see more people trying to turn the Metric bikes into Harleys by adding Harley style fairings and bags but they are never going to have a real Harley going that way. Again it is thier money , they earned it and can spend it as they want.

Find a bike you like and ride it with out worrying about others opinions.