Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #36196
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I remember seeing something somewhere about a bolt that is a quick release connection to drain the oil.... I did a change today and got oil all over the bash guard, which means, all of the F. I've found a few that are for cars specifically, but seen a bit too high profile and I'd be scurred to run them, like the fram sure drain and the Fumoto valve.

Want something lo-pro but easy as pie.
I'm personally unaware of such a bolt, Jeremy. However, I have good success turning the front wheel, and holding my drain pan up to the frame drain bolt. After the frame drains, I re-install the bolt, then move my drain pan under the crankcase. Using a 12mm socket, I break the engine drain bolt. Then I slowly loosen the bolt by hand, and support the bolt as the oil begins to flow through the hole in the skid plate, into the drain pan. After the oil flow slows down, I remove the bolt completely, and allow the rest of the oil to flow out of the engine. This method works very well for me, and doesn't create any mess when I change the oil.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #36197
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 369
Mosfet RR

I have been spending my time on the SuperHawk forum learning my new bike and one of the achiles heels of it was the R/R. I read of the zx6r r/r being an easy swap to alleviate the cooking of the stock nonmosfet r/r. This I did and have no probs.
Would this cheap r/r be a good swap onto the XR. They be cheap on ebay, but don't go running the prices up! It is a fhsomethingsomething16something I got for 35 bones.:spla t:sha rk:jomo mma:ostr ich:r ad :lo bbyi zave : sick:kbo om
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #36198
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
is there a case saver/guard for the xr650l to keep the shifter from doing it's damage? i can't seem to find one...
The only one I've found is one on eBay. A fellow rider of mine bought one and after seeing it, it is really small.

A fellow inmate, lasercustoms, was making these for a while but I'm not sure he's around anymore. Every time I try to PM him, he doesn't reply.

I attached mine with JB Weld and then duct taped in on until the JB Weld Hardened. Lasted 2 years before I had to glue it on again.

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #36199
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I remember seeing something somewhere about a bolt that is a quick release connection to drain the oil.... I did a change today and got oil all over the bash guard, which means, all of the F. I've found a few that are for cars specifically, but seen a bit too high profile and I'd be scurred to run them, like the fram sure drain and the Fumoto valve.

Want something lo-pro but easy as pie.

the fram sure drain is what I was thinking of.

stays behind the case and keep the mess to the oil filter cover only now.

and what's the thread on the engine drain bolt? 12x1.25?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 08:03 PM
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #36200
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
is there a case saver/guard for the xr650l to keep the shifter from doing it's damage? i can't seem to find one...
Here's a photograph of the stator cover saver I bought from forum member AKARob.

I attached the guard to my stator cover with JB Weld. If Rob is no longer selling these guards, you can make something similar from a small piece of aluminum plate.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #36201
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Fellas,

I recently picked up a front end off a cfr250 (Thanks Marko!).

One thing I need is to retain the mounting points on the stock upper triple. So I am curious, can the OEM triples be machined out to accept the larger forks from the crf, without impacting the structural integrity of the triple?

This would save alot of hassle. If not I may have to put out the money on the Emig racing setup.

Thanks
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #36202
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Every since my camera fell in the river crossing it's never been the same..
Anyone up for chipping in to buy C-Dub a new camera? This crappy pictures of all this bling are killing me. He could be making a lot more money selling to rich GS tools (did I just say that? many aren't, a lot are though). Anyway, the only way he could make less money off parts is by selling to KLR riders (yes, I'm on a roll tonight).
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #36203
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Fellas,

One thing I need is to retain the mounting points on the stock upper triple. So I am curious, can the OEM triples be machined out to accept the larger forks from the crf, without impacting the structural integrity of the triple?

This would save alot of hassle. If not I may have to put out the money on the Emig racing setup.

Thanks
No. Stock CRF triples are cheap of ebay. You can get some for less than $50. The emig stem is expensive(around $200). I have it, and it works well. RSW Racing also offers a nice setup, especially if you would like to keep the stock speedo and ignition switch. Steve has the full monty. /he'll post pictures of it shortly There are some machining the stock CRF stem options too.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #36204
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

We should buy Steve a couple of kegs and Spud some new tires and...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #36205
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Mendoteach,

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I have the entire front end already (upper/lower triples, steering stem, forks, wheel/axle). I am trying to keep the swap over as easy as possible. So I was curious if I could keep the stock triples and machine them to accept the crf forks. I need the stock mounting points because I have a Lynx fairing on the bike, which I love and won't get rid of.

The only place I have to have is the two holes where the oem speedo bracket mounted to the triple. But I may be able to tap new holes in the crf triple to make it work.

I'll keep you posted.
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #36206
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Fellas,

Thanks
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656073
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #36207
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,002
You can not machine the stock triple to fit the crf forks. You can machine the crf stem to fit the xrl

The RSW triples have the factory speedo mount holes and ignition switch hole
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #36208
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Made my own and included a tether in case it ever popped off, the high temp silicone is holding so far.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #36209
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Made my own and included a tether in case it ever popped off, the high temp silicone is holding so far.
Speaking of tethers, has anyone else had the kick stand spring go south? Last year a friend's did, and this fall mine did. I thought the first time was a fluke but perhaps not. I have been thinking about wiring mine. We didn't find his, so he leaned his bike against trees for four days. Safety wire to the rescue!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #36210
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Speaking of tethers, has anyone else had the kick stand spring go south? Last year a friend's did, and this fall mine did. I thought the first time was a fluke but perhaps not. I have been thinking about wiring mine. We didn't find his, so he leaned his bike against trees for four days. Safety wire to the rescue!
I squeeze the spring with pliers to make the spring fit tight on both ends.