Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Fictitious OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Advice on a Trials bike

Heya,

I've been wanting to pick up a trials bike for some time now, having been fascinated since I first watched a trials video on the internet, and I was wondering whether you guys could tell me whether the bike I've found is in any way a good deal or a good idea :P

The chap who has it, says it's a '94 Beta Super Trials 250 bike (I couldn't find this model on the American Beta website maybe he actually has a 92-93?) for $700. Looks to be in pretty good shape. So would this be a good bike for an absolute beginner to trials, or should I steer clear of it? Does the fact that the bike is air cooled make much difference in how it performs? (overheating issues etc...)

Thanks guys,
Spoon
Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Advice

If the bike you are looking at works well it would be fun to have.
Any trials bike is fun if it working correctly.
I was thinking a 94 Beta is water cooled, but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it.
B.C. temps are not scorching hot, and there are plenty of old air cooled bikes here in California and it is much hotter.
It will be a good bike for your friends to ride after you get hooked and buy a new one.
Think about it this way 700 bucks, you know you will be able to sell it for 500 at least.
so you won't loss much if anything. Don't wait, get it. and if you don't please send on info as I have a friend that is looking for a bike for his daughter.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
If I remember right it was basically the same as a `89. It was a cheaper model sold. If it was really solid,as in almost new it would be a fine first bike. As always try to buy the newest year you can afford, but condtion does make a difference. I actually bought a bike that was only two months old that was the worst deal I ever made. Ended up a fine bike hundreds of dollars and hours later.
If it has really been ridden, the frame would crack by the steering head and by the coil. Remove the tank to check.

lineaway screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 02:18 PM
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Fictitious OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Heya chaps, thanks for the advice. At the moment, the seller doesn't seem to be responding to his email so I don't know whether or not that means it's already been sold. Anyway, I'll definitely throw you the the link if I find out the seller still has the bike and I decide not to buy it.

Thanks again for the advice.