User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
I missed this so i'll post my post here.

Was last night when the forum went offline for repairs,or is it tonight?The forum being off line just makes me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad.

Thanks for keeping the forum going.

Can you nuke this post? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753726
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Yeah, so what they used to lead to was pics of inmates. So nominate 3 fascinating inmates with great pics, popular on the site, point me to the pics and this time I'll put 'em in permanent locations where they don't get nuked.
I'll nominate Hayduke. He's pretty dreamy.

DireWolf screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 04:33 PM
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Found some. None of Hayduke though.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,745

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Feelings hurt much?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Thanks so much for keeping the site running for us, boss

Yes, the Dakar coverage is growing every year. Apart from the simple fun in following the rally in a way that's not possible anywhere else, be it on the net or on traditional media, you are providing a way for racer's families to get first hand news on their loved ones.
Right back at you, 'cus I'm reading the cliff notes thread and see all the work youz are putting into this.

We optimized some queries this a.m., which we're hopeful will make a big diff. We've been anxious to install faster storage (SSD) but can't get it done fast enough for Dakar, but hopefully the optimizations we're doing will carry the day.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
We optimized some queries this a.m., which we're hopeful will make a big diff. We've been anxious to install faster storage (SSD) but can't get it done fast enough for Dakar, but hopefully the optimizations we're doing will carry the day.
Thanks for the explanation Baldy. I was wondering if the hamsters in the basement were getting tired.
Removing the names of all the people online is no loss to anyone, IMHO, especially if you can pick up a little bandwidth there.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
Right back at you, 'cus I'm reading the cliff notes thread and see all the work youz are putting into this.

Eve-online, a big massively multiplayer online game with one massive server put a few RAMSAN DDR RAM-based solid state disks and database/item lookups went from 3-4 seconds or longer to sub-second lookup times.

I want one for my home server, even though it'd be like using an atom bomb to kill a fly.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
Baldy OP
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,925
The mods are gonna announce that we're going to turn off image uploads to our server. You'll have to host your images somewhere to post. Reason being reading/writing the images just uses more disk I/O, slowing down database access to the disks. Also, going to more expensive solid-state disks means I don't want to fill them up with images.

I turned off image uploads in the past once, but since I own a photo sharing site I was accused of doing it because I'm a capitalist pig out to line my pockets at the expense of the little people.

Oh well, better to be an evil man who can keep his free forum up.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
The mods are gonna announce that we're going to turn off image uploads to our server. You'll have to host your images somewhere to post. Reason being reading/writing the images just uses more disk I/O, slowing down database access to the disks. Also, going to more expensive solid-state disks means I don't want to fill them up with images.

I turned off image uploads in the past once, but since I own a photo sharing site I was accused of doing it because I'm a capitalist pig out to line my pockets at the expense of the little people.

The dark side has cookies.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:

Free forum is good

There are free photo sharing sites out there (I use one !) but if they ever start charging I will be moving and giving my business to SmugMug - not necessarily to make anyone rich but if I have to pay for something I like to give my money to someone who has given (and continues to give) a lot back to me and my friends/fellow riders.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:

Does that mean that current images will no longer be visible or available?I run into many posts where images are vaporware,and that makes me,,,,,,sad.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:

Just completing my first year with Smugmug and still a happy user.
Baldy, given your generosity in providing this home for misfits, you can do no wrong, so whatever it takes.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Does that mean that current images will no longer be visible or available?I run into many posts where images are vaporware,and that makes me,,,,,,sad.
Existing attachments will not be affected, as I understand it.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Thank you Baldy, I have come to realize my subscription to Smugmug is not enough.

This site and the people here have become such a part of me it isn't funny.

I will get a care package headed your way.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: