|01-07-2012, 06:42 AM||#1|
Joined: Aug 2009
Latvia - Romania / Transfagarasan route
So, in the summer of 2011, together with my girlfriend decision was made to travel with my bike from Latvia to Romania. I have to admit that I have heard about Romania only few facts, like "in Romania they are manufacturing Dacia Logan", "that there are a lot of mountains and mountain roads etc". So, I was ready to visit this country and explore mountain roads, famous Transfagarasan route (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transf%...%C4%83%C8%99an ) and just have some fun.
To get to Romania I have to go trough places like - Lithuania - Poland - Slovakia - Hungary, in total 4 000km. for whole trip I had 9 days, so according to my calculations it should be enough.
1. The Bike - 2005` R1200GS recently serviced, so there shouldn't be any technical issues or whatsoever
2. Navigation - it was clear for me that using a "paper map" would be a total disaster for me, so I decided to use car Garmin navigation. It worked fine even though there was some issues with power cable, fitting on the bike etc. so I had to use some skills learned from famous "McGiver"; besides that it would be impossible to use navigation in the rain, because it isn't waterproof so I was hoping that there will be no rainy days in the trip
3. My Co - Pilot somewhere in the Slovakia;
4. In the day 1st I managed to cover 800km travelling from Latvia, Sigulda till the Poland, Lublin. We staid in the camping place in the middle of the city. It was the longest distance which was covered in one day on bike, so I was kinda happy and proud about my achievement.
5. Russian fighter plane or bomber near the border of Slovakia, if I'm correct this is IL-2, I was a bit surprised by the dimensions of this plane, I thought they are a bit smaller;
6. I was in such a rush that I have managed to cause a tank accident :) involving Russian T-34 and German Panther tank;
7. any way, in the very end of 2nd day we managed to reach Romania's city Satu - Mare. I was expecting that we will reach this city in the middle of the day, but due to some navigation problems we reached the city almost in the middle of night. We couldn't find any hotels or place where to set up a camp, but after a good while we managed to found one of the local hotels Aurora, with very fancy soviet style wooden panels on walls :)
8. Yes - it`s a DACIA :) one of the kind
9. Decision was made to travel from Satu Mare to Cluj Napoca and further to one of the best camping places I have visited so far, located not far away from Sibiu. The plan was to go from Sibiu to magic road of 7C and than head to Brasov;
enjoying deserved cold bear in Cluj Napoca;
10. Masterpiece of local architecture. No seriously, WTF?
11. We managed to reach our camping place located in Doua Lumi (GPS coordinates just in case: N 46.21146 - E 24.3242) It was really nice place with swimming pool and a shop with cold bear just across the street; It really was something unbelievable, and owner of the place even managed to rise a flag of Latvia;
Enjoying the swiming pool, cold bear, sun etc;
Yes, I`m proud:
12. Sibiu - really nice city, with nice / old architecture and old town:
13. after the Sibiu we planned to go to famous mountain road 7C, I was really excited
14. And YES Finally :) One Picture will tell 1000 words
one interesting thing which is worth to mention - as you can see for this road there are "working ours", in the night and winter it is closed. Locals told me that starting from September the road is closed because of snow and ice on the road.
enjoying the fantastic view
Bikers from other countries:
Co Pilot enjoying the view also
15. I have to admit that this road is really fantastic and worth seeing, spectacular views combined with curvy mountain roads is a good combination. Even though there where road construction works, so we had to reduce our speed to 15km/h and that wasn't fun at all.
16. After Sibiu we went to Brasov, our plan was to stay in the camping place near the city, but we didn't managed to find this place, so we have decided to sleep in the tent, even though I was a bit concerned about the bears which are living in the local forests;
searching for the place where to set up a camp.
in the next morning I have noticed that we managed to find an ultimate camping place with stunning view to the mountains and countryside:
Brasov definitely is worth visiting, just to enjoy old city, architecture etc:
17. famous Bran AKA Dracula Castle. It really was a nice place and old town but I was a bit concerned about bike security because of local gipsies / beggars who where walking around;
18. Sports wear shop near the road :)
19. It was already 1st of September and our trip was coming to an end, so we continued our trip back to Latvia. Unfortunately I have decided to go through Ukraine, and that was a complete disaster. It all started in the boarder where we had to wait for 3h just to get through. Afterwards we had some problems with traffic police because of violation of traffic rules, but 40 minutes and 10.00 EUR later every thing was ok with them... Anyway, I was more than happy when saw Ukraine in my mirror, I don't think I would like to go there again.
1st of September in Ukraine:
20. One of the last stops in Poland in bad camping, but we where so tired and exhausted that we really didn't care any more.
we reached Latvia in night, it was dark and pouring rain, and my tinted helmet visor didn't helped me much :) but I was happy that we managed to go to this trip. I have to say that Romania is definitely worth visiting, there are good roads, stunning views, friendly people. Maybe next time we will visit some other city's of Romania.
Grants screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 12:39 AM
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|