The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking, that it looked like a DAQ (Data AcQuisition) device I mean. An arm hooked to a quadrature rotary encoder, or maybe a potentiometer similar to a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

A quadrature encoder is more accurate and has a much longer service life than a potentiometer, especially in this suspension arm appplication. But a pot is less expensive and requires less processing power.

<BR>
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Good point. But maybe there isn't much of significance going on in a vehicle? :D

As far as what's possible to do with a 1Mbps data bus, I suppose that like any technology, it only rises to the needs of the end user, or the accounting department.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jNWaEMwsOGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<BR>
  3. Brit in SF

Brit in SF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not read this before.

According to Bike Ohlins is working with BMW on the electronic suspension for the new water cooled GS

Attached Files:

4. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well how will that happen. If it is smaller jugs, shorter stroke, then you need a new block, BIG EXPENSE

BMW has a 800 cc GS, just not a boxer.
  5. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    You mean a completely separate LC Boxer engine with lets say 800cc and ~80hp would be too expensive?
    - back to the roots, no gimmicks, just a real dual sports.

Not this but still looks great
    [​IMG]
  6. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    Cannot tell much difference in this photo. I'd like to ride one though to see if it feels different. Nobody ever bought a GS12 for its looks unless they had been drinking heavily. It's all function IMHO.
  7. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Is one. Its called the HP2 but a 1200.
  8. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    :nod
  9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably. The K75 was loved by many but BMW killed it. Why? Because it cost about the same to make as the K100. The buying public, however, thought that with 25% less cylinders it should cost 25% less.

I suspect an R80 would cost BMW almost as much to make as an R1200. If so, they wouldn't be able to price it right for both reasonable sales and reasonable profit.

I'd like an R90, myself :D
  10. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
  11. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Jugs seem to be higher up than on the air-cooled boxer. Exhaust at bottom, not front. Looks good to me, but won't be buying for a while, certainly not from the first year's production.
  12. PhotoBiker

PhotoBiker Please insert title here

Oddometer:
    It looks a little err ahh 'Husky'. . . :hmmmmm

Really enjoying my 2010 GS too much to care right now, though I suspect in a few years I will be drinking from the liquid cooled kool aid, so to speak.
  13. Farmer Palmer

Farmer Palmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a 'tarts handbag'.........!

That's what makes them special, function over form. My favourite so far would be the 1100GS with it's long funky 'Maur Sluker'(anteater beak)

Any GS looks much, much better after having justy crossed a muddy ploughed field, muddier the better.

Keep em dirty and they all look good.

Wasserkopf looks ok though but I won't be buying one for a long while as I like my 'GSA30' too much.

FP.
  14. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:

With the pressures BMW feels they need to succumb to, I see a lot of carry-over parts. Frame in general, though it is modified with its subframe, and despite the L/R switch of the driveshaft, it (for the moment) looks like it's the same recipe of the version which debuted in 2005.
    I understand the financial realities of a new engine vs. investment in other areas of the bike though. It doesn't appear to have been considered as a whole, but as the new engine plus various bits. Surfacing on forward engine castings and the exhaust orientation look like ass.

So now we have a BMW that wants to be a Multistrada. I don't know if that's cause for celebration. However, I would have never considered a GS until I rode one. . . .
  15. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Runs with Scissors

Oddometer:
    Windshield looks a little small - tough to tell, on the fence on that on

Do like the backward C led DTRL, I assume there is a sensor to put on the low beam

Is this a GSA? Commenting that because of the fuel tank guards, tank looks big but there is no more hardware

Exhaust tight in - looks good and the heads look like oil heads from that angle - not a bad thing

Overall I like it
  16. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I think it's a little helper engine, to give you some extra lift on the rear wheel when you're stuck in a ditch or mud hole. You know, like the booster some steam locomotives had on their tenders. In fact, it looks like it's steam operated - which also finally explains that whole watercooling thing:
    [​IMG]:freaky
  17. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the bike, but I love the Readheed helmet. Looks just like mine.
  19. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not a hater but.........SERIOUSLY?! You really want to talk about the merits of a bike in it's prototype form?? :huh

This thing is going to change.....some for the better and some for the worst. It's a BMW after all, it will probably push style and design.........and wether you need one beer or five to take it home you'll still probably want to ride it. :lol3
  20. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    From looking at the pictures I'd say this thing is way beyond prototype but of course I can be completely wrong.