Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #61
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,791
There is a company selling a new top yoke which will accept normal bolt-on handlebars in any bend you could wish. They are on sale right now on the german ebay site ebay.de but they are seriously expensive.

I have heard of various other bar risers but all are only available on the used market (as far as I know.) I might take some if they ever fall in my lap but I have just got used to the stock riding position.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #62
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
One of my favorite bikes, I bought mine new as a Non Current model when Yamaha was liquidating them.
Too advanced for the time, Mine has been to the 48 States, hope to get it to Alaska one day.

I always got a kick out of this Video!

http://youtu.be/u3hDAKGw5Is

ctune80 screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 09:11 AM
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #63
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Banishing the dreaded "squeak!"

I just completed a quick inspection and lube of the front suspension in response to hearing a slight squeak at times. Reports abound of finding one or both of the upper suspension arm bearings corroded away so the old girl has been parked for a few weeks so as not to cause any further damage while I got around to tackling the project.

It turned out to be a bit easier than expected. Not being used to working on a fully-faired motorcycle, removal of all the crap necessary just to get to the bits I was interested in was the main obstacle.

Here are some notes and photos:

Removed the four allen-head cap screws holding the front of the fender and the six bolts for the rear. Removing all the allen screws holding the brackets, etc., turned out to be unnecessary.

After removing the front wheel, bellypan, lower fairing panels, rubber flap over the A-arm and rubber cover over the right side bearing (right side of the bike, left side of these photos,) plus detaching the steering tube and tying it up, I could get at the bearing bolts. A long extension allowed a straight-shot at the nuts.

The A-arm is set up so the left side can be adjusted left-to-right (the camber adjuster) and the right slides on a bearing sleeve with no sideways thrust control.

The right side bearing bolt pulls out of the frame to release that end of the A-arm. The left bearing is a spherical bushing (basically a captured ball with a bolt through it) so once you remove the alignment sleeves, the A-arm can pivot out enough to slide it off the left side pin (which remains in place). It was necessary to pull the brake hose and ABS sensor wires out of their clips underneath the arm.

The right side needle bearing showed some signs of wear and the grease was dry - but it was tight and spun freely and the seals looked ok so I simply cleaned and re-greased it.

Yamaha recommends a moly grease although that did not look like what was in there. I happened to have some on the shelf.

The spherical bushing had a trace of red, indicating that perhaps the bearing seals are not as water-tight as they should be and from the wear is almost certainly the source of the "squeak!" - Just as expected. Strangely, this side is not also protected by a rubber boot.

Despite its appearance, the bearing appeared tight and smooth so I rotated it around to clean it in-situ and repack the groove with grease

When retorquing the left pivot bolt nut, I had to hold it from the outside with an allen wrench to prevent the bolt from turning, thereby messing up the camber adjustment.

I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it". As the upper and lower ball joints supporting the knuckle arm were both moving freely with no play when gently levered and the boots were in good condition, I left those alone.

With the lower suspension arm suitably supported, the shock could be unbolted. The lower eye is another spherical bushing and was in perfect condition. I added a little grease and put it back together. As there was no discernable play in the upper eye, I left that alone too.

I removed both the lower suspension arm bearing pivots by undoing the castellated nuts and pulling the pivot bolts out. The bearings on both sides appeared to be sealed units in great shape with no signs of water intrusion, free play or roughness, so they went back together with no action taken.

Reassembly was a reverse of the dis-assembly process. I pulled some of the attachment "tits" off the A-arm rubber cover while removing it, but it proved easy enough to hold in place with cable ties through the existing holes.

All that remained was to check everything was back together, brake hose clipped back in place, bolts torqued, etc., then replace all the bodywork. There are so many screws and bolts holding this all on but after doing it a few times now, it doesn't take long.

Initial testing seems to show that the "squeak!" has gone.

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 08:05 PM
Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #64
Kenneth Winter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Yamaha GTS1000 wanted

Does anyone have a GTS for sale?
Damaged is ok too...
Kenneth Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #65
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,192
Have you looked at the GTS forum. There is a nice 93 for sale in TN.

http://www.gtsclub.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

I think he purchased it from a guy advertising it here.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #66
BlueSkyGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
They never sold well but...

Owners are nuts about them, true cult classic. When new it had just too many odd changes, ahead of its time perhaps. At least you'll be in a group of like minded riders. Congrats and safe riding.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #67
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Winter View Post
Does anyone have a GTS for sale?
Damaged is ok too...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...789583844.html
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #68
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post

Wow, $ 6800. A boy can dream I guess.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #69
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

He has it on ebay as well. No bids with a starting point of $5800.00.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #70
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,714
I'm not crazy about the price, either. I still like the blue paint and the Ohlins bits.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #71
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,928
OMFG that bike looks like a nightmare to work on

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #72
gpjn
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Gts 1000 loking for new

Hi i am selling a 94 GTS with some damage. Contact me with an email address and i can send photos. Thanks.
gpjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #73
Cdaledude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjn View Post
Hi i am selling a 94 GTS with some damage. Contact me with an email address and i can send photos. Thanks.
It would help if you posted where you are and what you are looking to get for it. Mileage? Accessories? what kind of damage??
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #74
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
I'm no Mod but IMO, while the normal rules of the forum prohibit advertising in discussion threads, I think this thread is so specialized that a posting listing what you've got, with an idea what you are wanting for it, would be acceptable. Alternatively make a full ad in the bikes for sale section and link to it here - or just post a few photos of your ride and casually mention that you might be willing to part with it.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #75
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You should PM the Kenneth Winter guy that is up a little bit in this thread.